Thanks For your words

Thank you CCP for these words which I wholeheatedly agree with.

We are the first generation of ordinary people that have had the opportunity to talk to eachother across the divide that is war… Please do not waste this chance. Talk to each other, be respectfull.

4 Likes

Topic Moved to OOPE.

~Buldath

1 Like

The statement that OP is referencing.

5 Likes

I think what people haven’t grasped yet is once we had the nuclear option, large scale warfare hasn’t really been feasible.

Even before then, our tech had advanced to the point where large scale death dealing was very possible.

Now we face the possibility of a true extinction level event that can pop off pretty much very easily.

Basically, we gotta grow up as a species fairly quickly. Or else I’m pretty sure Musk don’t gotta worry if we make it to Mars or not :smiley:

3 Likes

Absolutely. We come from all over the world, but we are all capsuleers.

From this distant vantage point the earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us it’s different. Consider again that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It’s been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.

-Carl Sagan

4 Likes

Love me some Sagan.

I feel if peeps read more books, the world would be in a better position than it is now.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good words CCP I am glad to see this

1 Like

I had that poster in my very first apartment. Memories.

1 Like

Great Filter - Wikipedia
I would like humanity to get past this point.

Dr. Sagan would be very, very, very, very, very sad right now :sad

True. Or maybe he would look at it as beating the rush sadly.

As a scientist and a pragmatist, he might.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.