I’ve heard both Hilmar and other CCP’ers make the argument that players that socialize and get involved in groups will stay much longer. They often say that getting people to that stage is essential to increase player retention.
So I, therefore, think that the Chat, the corp finding UI, and many other social ways of interacting in this game needs a big update since it hasn’t really changed much over the past 10 years.
There are so many things that you could do here but I would start by getting some social media experts on the team that know what is essential in a 2020 chat and social platform to make people stay and to make people interact more. I think they would know much more than I but I have some ideas of what I think would work:
- Social media wall (much like the Facebook wall) where you can post links, share in-game images, post zkillboard stats, videos from fights, and much more. This should be the main hub for interacting in the game. This could be linked on different levels so that you have both an official and an unofficial alliance wall with news, then an official and unofficial Corporation wall.
It would also be good if you could “subscribe” to different topic related walls to get news about topics that interest you. Like, Industry wall, PVP wall, Abyssal space wall, and so on.
I know that both discord and huge alliance homepages have some of this today but I think those places are hard to find for new players unless they get deep into the game.
- Chat statuses like “AFK” “Looking for corp” “busy” “Recruiting” etc
- Emojis emojis emojis and more emojis! I know, they might seem annoying to some people but they make a huge difference to a chat and social platform and this is why nearly all social tools outside of eve use them.
- Corporation finding UI should have a recommended corp section based on your playstyle that is linked to your ‘Activity tracker’. This would be SO helpful for new players and it would make the activity tracker more meaningful. Just go out and do what you enjoy and you will get corps recommended to you based on the things that you do.
This feature should of course have an on/off switch because sometimes people might also be interested in things they haven’t tried. So it should be possible to both add and subtract stuff from your basic “activity tracker profile” that links to your recommended corps.
- Much much more options when it comes to corporation searches. Right now you can search corps based on just a few categories like PVP, PvE, industry, mining, and so on. There should be much much more options here.
I think the quickest fix to this might be to have a “keyword” search together with the standard search so you can for example search for a PVP group, x amount of players with a keyword that is related to the words in the corporation ad. So, you can for example ad the keyword “abyssal” or “lore” or “high sec ganking” if you like that kind of stuff. This would make it much easier for people to get in touch with people that like to do the same thing.
If anyone else has more suggestions to what we could do to improve the Social aspects of eve online feel free to leave a comment