The Exploration Logs of Katia's Kindness

[Captain’s Log 004]
[12-11-YC123 00:03:43]

“Exploration Log zero zero four of Katia’s Kindness.”

“Since I last flew this ship, I had the engineering crew make some refittings to it. Minor things, mostly. The biggest change I made was installing a better probe launcher. Inarri gave me an Astero a few weeks ago. When Lux was evacuating Smokey, before its destruction, he’d asked me to ferry out an Astero he named Birdfly in the frigate bay of a Praxis. We had it loaded up and I left with a fleet to filament, when he decided he didn’t want to have to transport it to Pator. He gave Birdfly to me. After having it inspected, I was told there was a Sisters core probe launcher installed. It was in good shape, so I had the probe launchers swapped between the ships. Since Katia’s Kindness is my primary Astero class exploration frig, it only made since to keep it updated with the best fittings I have on hand. I’m going to get Birdfly cleaned up and on standby as my backup, should something ever happen to this one. Hopefully that never occurs but… I have to be realistic.”

[pause of silence]

“I woke up to an ice storm in Pator this morning. The system is right on the fringe of it. I had heard that this strange phenomenon was coming in, but I never expected to see what I did when I took a look out of the window. The distant sky has turned a light shade of blue from the storm’s effects. It looks beautiful, like the backdrop of stars are sparkling. I hadn’t flown Katia’s Kindness since refitting it, and I knew this was the perfect opportunity to take it out again. I quickly got ready and shuttled down to the hangar, boarding the Astero and hopping into pod. The view of the storm and the stars after undock was spectacular. Much better than the view from my apartment window.”

[File Attachment]

“So, after having seen that, it absolutely blew my mind when I took two jumps to Onga, which was in the center of this storm. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life.”

[File Attachment]

“There are billions of tiny ice crystals floating around me in space, which cling to my hull as I fly through the clouds. It’s just… Amazing… I’m actually sitting out here now, just drifting through the dusting of what you could probably call snowflakes. They’re similar enough at least. Reminds me of the snowfall we get during Kohiri’s winter season. My home city isn’t on the coast, but it is nearby, and it sits near the Kohiri mountain range. So we get a fair amount of rainfall, and snowfall, in the area. This is beyond anything I’ve ever laid eyes on though. I’m taking lots of pictures. I plan on attaching some to this log and sending a bunch home to my family. I won’t be surprised if the next time I visit, my mom has these put up all over the walls.”

[File Attachment]

“I plan on staying in high security space on this trip, and just jumping around the ice storm systems. My signature scanner picked up on some interesting readings earlier. When going to investigate I found a communications relay station, possibly set up recently to monitor the ice storms. The thing was pretty massive. I didn’t realize the scale until I got up close.”

[File Attachment]

“I may go search around for more of these, or other similar constructions. It feels strange not scanning for wormholes. Up until now, I’ve always used this ship to explore Anokis, but it seems there is a lot of beauty to explore in the known space regions of New Eden as well. I hope to see many more jaw dropping scenes.”

[End Log]

6 Likes