The NPE should be centered around PVP and emergent gameplay

The current and long-standing problem with the NPE is that it attempts to teach players primarily how to carebear in highsec, without putting primary focus on teaching them the various elements of PVP and emergent gameplay and allowing them to experience it immediately.

I’ll leave the start of this thread at that. There are a myriad of ideas that could be used to achieve this goal, but I won’t crowd the OP with that. The general idea I’d like to open to discusson here is that the NPE should immediately push players into PVP-based social interaction with other players, and within just a few hours a new player should have at least a minimal understanding of what the game offers from an emergent gameplay standpoint.

On top of that it should be centered around EVE’s main story, its lore.

1 Like

The lore that players have created yes.

But please not the stagnant contradictory boring source.

The current and long-standing problem with the NPE is that it attempts to teach players primarily how to carebear in highsec, without putting primary focus on teaching them the various elements of PVP and emergent gameplay and allowing them to experience it immediately.

That is your job, the player. You are failing at your own whining rant, you need to step up your game and start talking to people. Shoot first time they are in low/null or scam them…well any idiot up to and including Goons kind of kills any reason to “be social” if your going to put your trust in others when your highly likely to be more a stat on a KM instead of a social element in a group.

I’ll leave the start of this thread at that. There are a myriad of ideas that could be used to achieve this goal, but I won’t crowd the OP with that. The general idea I’d like to open to discusson here is that the NPE should immediately push players into PVP-based social interaction with other players, and within just a few hours a new player should have at least a minimal understanding of what the game offers from an emergent gameplay standpoint.

Lousy UI, hard to follow instructions, player base is generally assholes looking to increase KM count just cause they saw someone in local, people with no leadership credentials except a stupid ■■■■ attempt at sending opening invitations resulting in the worst canidates from trade hub local or rookie help…Yeah, not hard to figure out what the minimal expectation of EVE. The game generated society by the player base, not all want to be a part of that.

Let’s be honest. 90% of EVE PVP essentially amounts to small fleet actions of 5 on 1 or 2. Oh sure, there is the rare 1 v 1, but mostly it’s small roving gangs looking for easy gank targets.

The rest of pvp you’ll never even see unless you want to be someone’s alliance slave.

1 Like

Why do you want to shove every player into PVP a month in? Some don’t have the time for it to go on 50 jump roams nightly with no worry about the isk they have left. RL gets in the way for time, and poor pvpers aren’t “gud” pvper’s because they’re stuck in T1 rifters or other such nonsense where they learn to tackle, and that’s about it.

If you can’t find gank targets worthy of pvp, then by all means, join goons or test and you can shoot at each other all day. Seems to me if 90% of the players complaining about PVP content joined a major alliance for combat ops they’d have no issues finding targets daily.

I thought the point of big alliances was to start big wars? Go for it.

Not necessarily pvp, but definitely should focus around the sandbox and freedom to create ones own destiny.

But i honestly doubt the tutorial is the issue as much as struggling to find non-boring individuals in non-■■■■ corps.

1 Like

Yeah, rub raw steaks all over the kids and send them into the Pit-bull den… That’ll keep them around.

3 Likes

I abandoned this char to go with a different race but my experience was EXACTLY the opposite of what you say.

90% was 1v1 and 10% was 1v2 (I won!! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Cool story bro. Let us know how it works out for you when you are 10 years in …

So the number of players in low change based on how long you have been playing. Now that’s some engineering!!

This is a complete fabrication. Is this why you are scared to leave high sec?

Why? Eve lore is of the worst quality of pulp science fiction I have ever read and or have watched. I haven’t bothered with it since the day I installed the game.

1 Like

If they are handing out free ships and modules while so doing, then maybe. If it were intended to be a broke-and-shipless simulator I’d have ■■■■■■ off months ago.

Not in Hi-Sec. I’ve had toons in 3 major alliances. Been in several major wars thanks. This character is 36M SP almost 100% in combat.

I’m simply discussing the reality of pvp. Most “pvp” is a small gang vs. 1 or at most 2. Only the foolish or inexperienced take on higher odds with equivalent technology ships in EVE. Most PVP is people with Loki’s and Tengu’s trying to gank mining barges or other hapless victims. Those driving T3’s rarely enjoy losing them.

Let me guess, you’re the type of leet CODE player that hangs out in Perimeter, looking for the next freighter to bump? [shudder] total badass man … :roll_eyes:

lol :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Was that supposed to impress? My cyno alts have more SP than that.

1 Like

Thanks for the thread, OP.
They don’t want this!

They’re just not stupid enough telling you about it!

Agree with OP. The NPE should be showing new players that they are an immortal pod clone for a reason, that ships are easily replaceable, that PvP isn’t something to shy away from.

That said, they also need a better setup for PvP to occur than 'trying to gank bad builds in hi-sec, or being jumped on by full packs in low sec, or avoiding it altogether in null, or trying out Faction Warfare and scratching your head wondering where all the warring is".

It does not need to jam PvP down every new players throat. A simple ‘choose a path - Explorer, Industrialist, Mercenary’ which leads to 3 different NPE setups and can be changed later works fine.

CCP needs to stop wasting millions of $$ of dev time on useless junk that benefits nobody, and start concentrating on an NPE and a combat environment that plays to EVEs strengths - not their weakest parts.

For the thousandth time.

You don’t populate a PvP game by trying to turn care bears into PvPers; it doesn’t work, they don’t want it.

You populate a PvP game by catering to the PvPers.

Ignore The River Fodder, it is for other games.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure you have 50 cyno alts with more SP than all mine combined…

Why would I need to impress the likes of you? You made a false claim that I hang in hi-sec. I don’t. I really don’t care what you have. You’ve missed the point of the entire thread.

The major point I was making is that you cannot expect new players to join the game, be forced into PVP then love it. Think back when you started. If you were continually getting your rear handed to you again and again, while simultaneously having to spend time or real $ replacing your losses in the first 90 days, would you stay subscribed? PVP is a long a brutal learning curve, and no matter what, a player has to be well funded to eventually become successful at it.

In EVE, low SP characters are nothing more than targets, even in hi-sec. Oddly enough, the players complaining the loudest about the supposed non-existence of PVP tend to be the ones that only hang out in 20+ man gank fleets in hi-sec.

There is tons of pvp in this game. If you cant find it, here’s a tissue. If you want risk adverse pvp, EVE isn’t the game for you. That’s the problem with most pvp’ers. They want the killboard stats without the risk. It’s why a majority of pvp is 3,4,5 vs. 1, unless of course the ships have grossly different levels of technology or someone is afk. I don’t curse them for the 3,4,5 on 1’s, rather I laugh at their complaints that the game doesn’t have enough pvp content …