The real reasons player population is declining

Do eeet!

1 Like

What the author of this article wrote about is not the problem of the game but rather the problem of the nature of a human being.

A 15 year old piece of software, alive and kicking. In IT time it’s from neolithic age. What do you expect? unlimited growth and immortality?

In 15 years this pice software must have been refactored at least 2 times, so much how ccp care about Eve :unamused:

Why? To suit your taste? You don’t like the smell of HAM’s fuel iin the morning?

Why is it that we keep having to have this endless, cyclical discussion?

It always breaks down the same way. People claim that their particular biases are the reason why EvE is either failing, or succeeding.

People wrangle themselves in pointless discussions about whether or not it is bad to play a game where you risk the loss of your in-game assets. Then we start going into the minutiae about whether or not people deliberately acting like assholes to each other could ever possibly have a net negative effect on things.

(That’s the discussion that really gets me LOL. How is it that we keep having to rehash whether or not being a dick head is a good or bad thing?)

One day, EvE is going to have to come to some sort of consensus with itself in regards to the balance of telling people to get the ■■■■ out of the game, and wondering why things are stagnant. There will end up having to be a reckoning about telling people to go play other games, and then wondering where everyone else went.

EvE is unique, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it, at least as far as how the PVP rules work. It is a niche game, and should remain that way. But as I have stated before… If you think that having a game of 99% “bad guys” can flourish beyond what it is right now, you are wrong. People can’t all be the bad guy. And whether or not you think other players need to “HTFU” or not, I think you are going to be hard pressed to get people to login to be a helpless lamb so you can kill them.

And let’s be perfectly honest. Let’s cut all the ■■■■■■■■. That is exactly what you want. People have a unique dichotomy with how they describe EvE. They pretend they want “gudfites”, but it is also fairly common knowledge that if the fight is fair, you need to find a way to make it not fair. If the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor, you need to get better odds.

ALL of this is perfectly fine. I’m not here to debate whether or not stacking the odds in your favor and blapping the ever-loving ■■■■ out of your enemies is right or wrong.

I will however, have to point out that the culture that EvE produces, is one of treating the person you’ve killed like an absolute feckless ■■■■■■■ moron, and doing literally whatever you can in and out of game to piss them off, enrage them, and produce those all coveted “tears.”

That’s really why I comment on threads like this, when I comment. Because we are all sitting here dancing around the issue. Everyone is engaged in the discussion about whether or not ganking pushes new players out. It probably isn’t the ganking. It probably is not the explosion of someone’s ship.

But I bet my next paycheck that it’s definitely the assholeish, deliberately antagonistic, specifically engineered attitudes that come with the explosion. I’ve chatted with gankers. I’ve chatted with miners. An expert on EvE’s population I am not.

But please, stop acting like you’re all innocent babbies, and honest to God I have no idea what I’m talking about. You grief until your grief gland is shriveled and dusty, and the game mechanics allow for it. So by all means, grief away. Lie, steal, cheat, rip and tear, until it is done.

But cut the disingenuous crap. You know the grief-play is not helping EvE “grow”.

3 Likes

Nice said !!
Long story short:

Current state of game is unappealing for new players :wink:

I sort of get where you are coming from - and will agree that people being legitimate douchebags to one another isn’t good for enticing players, new or old, to log in - but it isn’t as simple as you present things. We can all get behind platitudes that you shouldn’t insult, provoke, threaten, excessively troll, or shame other players. But that isn’t what ganking and scamming is all about. Sure, you can gank someone and be an asshole about it, but you also can explode them for your own purpose or advantage in the game. Conflating the two isn’t helpful.

Eve grew fastest when the game was more punishing and losses mattered much more. CCP has repeated nerfed highsec, and hunters in general, for years now and the game has not grown. You can blame that on some people being dicks I guess, but it seems more likely to me that all these changes to the game have done is driven the enthusiastic players looking for chaos and a competetive game away, and made the remaining game rather boring for those that are left.

Eve is a competitive PvP game and that only appeals to a certain type of gamer. Further, competitive games promote certain types of aggressive behaviour that can go too far. We all should be on guard that we don’t take the game too seriously or personally, but to put that on only one side - say the gankers but not the miners/haulers isn’t fair nor accurate. There are plenty of examples of peaceful industrialists crossing several lines of etiquette, or even the EULA, when confronted with a loss. If anything, the trolling and other bad behaviour seems much worse outside of highsec (we just had another example resulting in the expulsion of a CSM candidate from the election) although I won’t claim to actually know what goes on everywhere in this game.

Some players just can’t handle losing to another human being (or at least don’t want that in the game they play in the leisure time) and they just aren’t cut out for Eve. That is a fact, one that CCP came to grips with long ago. I am sure others though have experienced an unpleasant interaction with another player, or don’t gel with some of the more competitive cultures found in places in New Eden. Those ones I will agree, it is a shame to lose, just because some nerd acts like a space tough guy or general jack-ass, or some group takes themselves too seriously. We all should reject the worst of this behaviour straight out, and work to push the culture to a more inclusive one.

But to conflate that behaviour with scammers or gankers or corp theives or AWOXers or wardeccers or anyone who inflicts an unexpected loss on another player is unfair. Those activities are legitimate and intended game mechanics. You can’t let people like the OP declare those “griefing” and the reason for the game declining based on no evidence. There are plenty of people playing the game who came to play in a sandbox that allows those sort of things and do it in a respectful way. Just because someone beats you in a video game doesn’t mean they are personally insulting you.

Personally, I think Eve’s issue with stagnation comes from too much wealth and safety for veterans, and a still real barrier for new players to get over the hump of both learning the game and getting connected to other players. It has very little to do with douchebags being douchebags. Douchebags are thankfully rather rare in my experience and quickly ostracized by most player groups, or banned by CCP. In my 5 or so years playing the game I’ve even seen significant progress on the casual racism/misogyny and a reining in of some of the worst behaviour that was prevalent at the height of the game’s popularity.

7 Likes

Old people are rich and want peaceful and quiet gameplay if they do not find quiet place they leave, see rich people avoid violence (and will not leave you they stuff do not bother to ask them)
New players will leave game after few ganks normaly they do not want to be punch bags. (promises of IMBA space battles and “their action matters” are not enough)

That is reasons why number of players in Eve declining.

Correction.
The game is unappealing to many, in this respect nothing has really changed in 15 years; it’s the reason Eve is known as a niche game.

4 Likes

OK I get it now, ccp is not technology company any more, it is niche game company now!

:rofl:

Its strength is being niche and the only thing that can fck it up is CCP themselves, trying to make EVE mainstream.

4 Likes

Since we already presented you the talks where CCP showed the data that completely refutes what you just said there is only one conclusion here: You are deliberatly lying to push your agenda and hold up new players as a shield because you are to cowardly to even state that it is JUST YOU who has a problem with ganking and probably shits his pants everytime he pressed undock.

Shooting spaceships is part of this spaceship shooting game. If you want something relaxing then invest the 5min it takes to research some options that will make your mining or whatever you do 99.9999999% secure and out of reach of any ganker.

As for the “Hello Kitty Online” maybe @Clockwork_Robot is right and we should not send people there. I mean if your to dense to mine in highsec you will probably get stomped there as well. Maybe try an offline game.

tell that to investors and stackholders , please, please, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee …
:rofl:

that data is , lets say nicely, streched and have no value because that is onedimensional analyse in multidimensional world so I advice you to avoid serious talks about fact because you just cant uderstand it.

If it had been a generic MMO then it would have sizzled out like all generic MMO’s do. Where people join, gobble up all the content in the first month, whine about how there’s no content. get an expansion, which they’ll complete in 3 days. Whine some more about how the game is boring and has no content. To then flock to the next new fad, like locusts, doing their best to cheat/avoid actually having to play but want to get to the “end game” asap, and then whine (yet again) about how there’s no content.

That right there is 99% of the MMO’s in the past 15 years. Since EVE doesn’t DO, or didn’t do, PVE content or content updates it’s NICHE, given that’s it’s a PVP sandbox and not a PVE roller coaster grindfest means it’s NICHE. And it’s the reason why it’s still around and kicking. The only reason it went downhill is because CCP decided they didn’t like EVE anymore and started using their time and resources on other projects.

I realise this doesn’t fit your narrative but these are basic facts, sorry about that.

2 Likes

Still you do not write down reason why investors would like ccp now as “niche” company, as technology company it was attractive possibilities for investing money, why would someone today invest money in ccp ???

Oh sure, sounds like your are quite the expert. Can you go into more detail of what is wrong about his analysis? Maybe present some data on your own may help.

So far it’s CCPs, which is the producer of the game and has every intention of getting this right, with actual statistical data who tell us that people who get shot in the first 90 days are more likely to stay among other things like that ship loss is < 1% as reason for people who quit…

And on the other side we have some random carebear (you) who is butthurt about his ship loss, has no data or even a good story and just projects his feelings on new players.

Yeah, not hard to tell who is full of bs.

1 Like

Where does this come from?

Looking at zkillboard, my various characters have died in pvp 750 times. 99% of the time, the fights ended with a ‘gf’ both ways. Across those same characters, there’s a touch over 4000 kills and almost 100% of the time, a ‘gf’ or a ‘ty’ is given, and mostly received.

That seems more the culture that the game produces. Regular people playing the game as a game, who give each other a ‘gf’ or some other acknowledgement after a fight and then move on.

What you’re referring to seems more the stereotype than the reality. It’s the fringe, not the culture.

3 Likes