The Rise and Fall in Bitcoin Value

Are you some kind of evil dictator? Sure, they can put me in jail. But they don’t get my Bitcoin. They can put you in jail AND get your money and gold though.

2 Likes

But looks they can get everything else.

1 Like

Note to myself: don’t discuss with nihilists

“So you’re telling me there’s a chance” :stuck_out_tongue:

This I was not aware of…
Have a source lying around I can read more?

You need to learn more about what Bitcoin is. you are incorrect.

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

I don’t know of any comprehensive list, because it would also heavily depend on the attack. The literature I was talking about is mostly about the general viability of even mounting and sustaining such an attack.

But to make an example what I mean that users can defend against such attacks. The consensus about the rules of how Bitcoin operates goes far beyond the code. The code people run is just a way for each individual user to enforce the rules they agree with. Should the network be attacked the actual users and legit miners will most likely pretty quickly find a new consensus about what rules to add to kick the malicious party out of the network with a hard fork.

For example of what a 51% attacker could do would be to just mine empty blocks to stall Bitcoin. Because no new transactions would be included, Bitcoin would effectively come to a halt. In such a case, nodes could simply add a policy to reject a certain amount of successive empty blocks.

Similar things could be done with other forms of the attack, including adding some PoS elements to it or the end all miners nuclear option of completely changing the PoW algorithm to make all ASIC worthless and basically forcing everyone back to using GPU where the mining competition begins anew.

I don’t think it will ever come to this. We are long past the point.

1 Like

I suspected this was basically what you were referring to. Thanks for expanding.

Agreed. I just wanted to highlight that (at least theoretically) this could be a concern. In practice, we have a lot of empirical evidence now that it’s not a practical form of attack.

Really, have you not read Kafka’s The Trial? Or 1984?
The dreams come true. Unfortunately, they were nightmares.

1 Like

https://coinquora.com/terra-co-founders-home-raided-as-s-korea-investigates-luna-crash/

I raise you…

The net is slowly drawing in… less people will be interested as now the law caught up. The wildcat banks are going down.

I don’t think this will affect the entire crypto business as insider trading is quite common in many other industries too.

It’s encouraging that the ex coinbase manager was caught and charged as quickly as possible, criminal activity won’t be tolerated in crypto. I hope they make an example out of him with severe punishment.

1 Like

It will probably remove more of the dark elements that jumped on crypto due to it’s “freedom from laws”. Imagine Elon Musk tweeting about real companies instead of DogeCoin…

Response from nicehash thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/comments/k7gnpi/nicehashs_founder_matjaž_škorjanc_is_a_creator_of/

1 Like

So should they be worried? Yes. . Apparently someone was able to circumvent Hacker McScriptKiddie’s powers and stole a bunch of NiceHash.

At least they didn’t buy a presentation by “The Wolf Of Wallstreet” on how to make money with crypto. The only think that made The Wolf Of Wallstreet rich was scamming and breaking the law. None of those ‘skills’ should be worth buying his scam 'symposiums". Professor Explains the Fake Entrepreneur Epidemic - YouTube

EDIT:

ROFL, lol. LMAO.

Which Nicehash paid back to all their customers from their own money.

The founder of NH is actually a genius, he made mistakes in the past and was punished by imprisonment. I get the impression he’s learned a lesson and now uses his genius to make money legally. I’m pretty sure he is in no rush to go back to prison.

It does appear that a reasonably good job is being done to catch and punish cyber criminals

1 Like

So as a minimum, would another set of hardware that is equal to the current amount of hardware mining Bitcoin be needed?

One year ago the total amount of machines mining Bitcoin was approx 3.8 million, They generated 55Eh/s (exa hashes) per second, if an Antminer S9 was £14k back then approx £53 Billion in hardware alone would be needed for a 51% attack.

Yes, but to be effective it would probably be more than that existing hardware. So it’s basically impossible because you can’t just get that amount of ASIC anyway.

1 Like

That’s what people usually say concerning security of encryption… but that’s why people target flaws and not the theoretical protection.

That aside, I found a nice comparison to bitcoin miners : Why Salt Farmers Risk Their Lives To Harvest Desert Salt For $4 A Ton | Big Business - YouTube
:wink:
At least they mine their own ‘currency’. About the same way BTC is mined. They also struggle with comparable issues like law/government/trade…

Betteridge’s law of headlines applies. What nobody tells about “nuclear diamond battery” is that they are tiny (really, really tiny) and can’t be scaled up. Also they aren’t rechargeable because, you know, you can’t “recharge” a unstable isotope. So you get a piece of highly radioactive unstable isotope, encase it in a carbon frame (diamond) and then alpha radiation from the isotope generates free electrons aka an electrical charge on the diamond casing. How much power rating do they have? A few microwatts. And that can’t be scaled up. If the isotope chunk is too large, the diamond cover must be too thick and will lose its charge faster than is generated. If the isotope is too active, gamma radiation will be a bugger. And as for using millions of the microbatteries in order to get usable power… their price per watt is ludicrously high and their power to mass ratio is abysmal.

But huh, Musk+nuclear+diamond+battery+2023 is such a good clickbait…

2 Likes

And you liked the thread claiming I talk like an AI along with an idiot poster.

Your points/comparison are silly and childish and you are incapable of having a convo involving facts about Bitcoin. Goodbye.

I’ll leave you and the others to hate Bitcoin in peace. :slight_smile: