Trip Sensors

After Dealing with my cloaking thread for so long i just today had someone tell me about some bot thing that detected players in proximity to stuff. after telling him bots can make you banned (though the suggested threads is telling me otherwise), i figured it should be suggested: a sensor node you can deploy.

how it works is you place it near gates, structures, or even deadspace if that suits your fancy. any wormhole splash detected, any person float past it, it lets you or your alliance know via a notification that lets you know that “sensor (name) detects movement.” t2 version can pull up an overview of who tripped it off. covops cloakers who warp on grid can’t be detected when they warp to the area, and the node can be effected by ecm burst jammers. it can be destroyed, and on destruction will let player know it’s been destroyed, unless of course, it gets ECM’d.

So basically you want to make botting legal here… Hell no.

1 Like

nah cuz, just making bots useless by making a feature like that part of the game.

Yes, so you replace something bots do with something built into the game that bots legally. You are proposing to make bots effectively legal as a result.

1 Like

why?

The last thing this game needs is more free intel.

1 Like

Used to be that you could plant the Encounter Surveillance System in wormholes (mainly next to wormhole entrances themselves), they used to alert all of local when someone entered the detection area of the ESS. But CCP disabled being able to plant ESS’s in WH space.

I strongly suspect that CCP will still follow the trend of keeping Local blind in WH space and that, while the idea is attractive, this idea will not be going anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah no, that’s a terrible idea. You’re legitimizing a bot program, that’s not the answer. What the bot program does is neither legal nor desirable.

2 Likes

Translation:

I has bot which run all them sanctums with my sooper while I am afk and let sooper produce infinites currency. Please let mah sooper produce currency while I go afk. No cloaky must interrupt my sooper.
My infinite currency creation bot is so sooper that my sooper can do dis all day. I has 50 soopers now making even 50 times more infinite currency. I are better at eve. I have zee sooper dooper ship and bot.
Don’t let zee cloaky-meany-deany interrupt my bot and report it. Zee end.

End Translation.

My most favorite response: No.

3 Likes

2 Likes

People will cheat pretty much no matter what. You can’t squash them all, and large organizations WILL have a fall guy or ten so they get the benefits and no drawbacks. There are two good ways to deal with that reality:

1: Make a game mechanic which makes the cheat pointless. This request falls into this category.

2: Change the game mechanics so the cheat doesn’t help people do whatever it was they wanted.

1. is almost always a bad response, since it turns the cheating legitimate. I will allow there are a few very rare exceptions, but this sort of one is not one of those.

There might be something there - that isn’t too far off what the proposed Observatory Array has been suggested to do - but really, it would only make sense with a good, hard nerf to local. Just giving players a new warning system with no other changes isn’t what we need to create player interaction, but removing the free intel of local and replacing it with a structure that provides intel on enemy movements but has cost and can be attacked is the general idea of the OA.

I think some sort of “personal trip sensor” or even “limpet tracker” could be interesting tool for bounty hunters/mercenaries stalking someone, especially in the age of no watch lists. I think it would need to be locked to a specific person though to prevent abuse by those looking to evade all player interaction.

2 Likes

Black,
as long as it prohibits a region wide activation of cynos I can see this becoming an idea.

Good lord, you have local and intel channels, you can see a bad guy coming a mile away and it still isn’t enough?

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Okay, sure, with a good hard nerf to local it might be viable. Still would depend on quite a few details though.

Well in swimming Kosuke Kitajima was very, very good at sticking a dolphin kick into his underwater pull down in the breast stroke and it was very hard for judges to see. But you could see it on the underwater cameras…which could not be used to DQ a swimmer. So the approach FINA decided on was make it legal–take away Kitajima’s advantage by giving it to everyone (at least that is my personal theory). In fact, now that it was legal everyone can do a blatant big dolphin kick…and maybe Kitajima being used to a smaller less obvious dolphin kick might be at a disadvantage.

Anyhow…just an interesting (?) real world example.

it’s trivial to write an EULA compliant program which takes screenshots in regular intervals and notifies the owner if something changes compared to the last image. that’s not even a bot, it’d just take shots and scan for changes.

That still actually violates the EULA/TOS about automation that improves gameplay.
It’s just basically impossible for them to detect.

1 Like

how? there’s no input into the client, therefore there’s no automation? hm…

and yeah, it’d be impossible to detect. they can’t ban recording the game’s output.

Considering they’ve said during one fanfest that using things like dipping birds would be considered automation if they found out. Or chopsticks on several keyboards to.replicate keystrokes.
Sure finding out is super hard. But that doesn’t make it any less a cheat in this case.

1 Like