Version 19.08 - General Feedback

This is fundamental.

Up and down Rookie Help chat, it is the same: the UI is awful. CCP, I will refrain from giving any praise on the new system until it is presentable like an 18 year-old game should be presented. Maybe skill plans are cool, maybe the updates to NPE are appreciated, but if you make me wear a dumb costume while saying it, I won’t.

This UI is the dumb costume and we are your clowns. Are you not amused?!

4 Likes

Post some screenshots of Rookie Help with these messages please.

Sure, hold up. Ive been chillin in there and i’ll get a screenshot of people’s thoughts.

I’ve given myself a day to get used to the changes and to see if today’s downtime would have any updates. Splitting up the character sheet and the skill window is completely fine, it’s going to take time to get used to but that is always the case.

The skill window however I just don’t understand, I don’t see the reason as to why it looks like it looks or why it takes up SO much screen space. It’s a horrendously inefficient use of space, it doesn’t make any sense and it looks completely out of place compared to all the other UI elements. Removing lots of useful and important information on the skills is another thing that just doesn’t make ANY sense.

It kinda looks like someone’s first website made in Wordpress, the design is really that bad. It’s disappointing.

2 Likes

Cleaned up a bunch of postings. If you see anything off topic please flag it. If you have any CSM issues please make a thread in the appropriate forum #council-of-stellar-management:assembly-hall else #communications:general

This thread is purely for feedback you have on the changes, not to argue with others.

4 Likes

Another thing that I just noticed…

The skill category progress bars in the skill list … they have the color of the current quadrant. You are surely not telling me that the bars will change color every time we get a new quadrant color … :thinking:

@Brisc_Rubal Regardless of personal opinion on these changes, I hope you get a chance to address the test cycle with CCP. A common theme I’m reading is that a number of people here feel issues raised in user testing (asked for by CCP) are not being acknowledged, never mind addressed, by launch.

CCP will have reasons for the skill UI I’m sure and regular releases don’t have to be perfect, but a lack of communication is easily avoided - assuming there is a desire to improve it.

10 Likes

Fine. Some players seem to need that dimension. Although, if that’s what CCP now want too, then maybe they shouldn’t have dumped the Captain’s Quarters (I’m not speaking for or against that personally, just saying they already had something to get people to connect with their characters, and they didn’t seem to care much).

1 Like

Linked below are the snippets I could find from my chat logs in Rookie Help yesterday after the skill UI update.

I have specifically cherry-picked the logs for negative opinions, subjective in nature. Each is from a unique user expressing their agreement that the UI looks bad and/or is confusing to operate because of this.

I had omitted several other complaints on the basis of being unproven “user error” experiences. Glitches that I cannot confirm on my machine are not related to how bad the UI looks, intuitively and professionally.

Also cited are the removal of previous features (mouseover to see total sp of skill).

3 Likes

Ok i will wade into the tangled web of the new ui for skills i will say one thing up front taking the character and making it vertical is a long over due move (but the sceptic in me thinks its more about selling stuff )it is a good move having the player character sheet opening from it .
now il move to negatives not having a collapse button for the avatar is bad
removing the what i call the functional player skills from the character sheet was the worst of it. it was easy to see understand and logically laid out with lots of stuff to make it easy to work out skill points to time
having the "new advanced " ui as a button from the avatar that opens the ui shutting down the character till its closed would be a better move having both options what we have at the moment is some good but CCP has removed ease and function from lots of players and the scaling has not bin properly thought through or implemented making it almost impossible for some to use and play eve in these days with many other good games out there its easy to put someone off a game and much harder to get them back

Yeah you might well be right. Reading between the lines (speculating) i’d say the work on NPE and this skill refresh is working to a deadline for the following and there’s not been enough time to get everything right.

“Speaking of gateways, a new path into New Eden is opening on 23 September as EVE Online will be coming to the Epic Games Store!”

I suspect we will see a fix before 23rd at least to sort the overlapping text and auto purchase of skills. Maybe even add in the tool tips.

Hate the new UI as much as I hate that they removed the Network Diagnostics from the launcher!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Have identified a small bug in the new skill UI filter. Select “My Skills” in the catalogue then close the window. When you go back in and change the filter to “All Skills” it doesn’t refresh the list. It seems to be a problem with selecting the top item in the list. If you select “All Skills” then close and re-open it seems to be OK again.

I have been collecting opinions from Rookie Help Chat most of yesterday. Gathered and summarized and delivered to CCP already.

m

6 Likes

When you go into the skills there is no indication of the time that skill will take at that level unless you drag it over (or to the skill plan content when creating a skill plan), Can you please provide an option to sort by time, even maybe putting it as a toggle so if will go from Quickest/Longest or Longest/Quickest (although I cannot think of a reason to do the content skills first.

1 Like

OK, so we have TWO windows in the entire game that act this way (amusing I hadn’t picked that, as I do plenty of PI).

1 Like

This is a concern I have voiced multiple times over the last year - why ask for player feedback if it’s going to be ignored. I agree they need to do a better job, and frankly, I was hoping they would note changes made based on player feedback, but as far as I can tell, they didn’t make any.

11 Likes

To reiterate with one convenient image all my complaints, in order to validate my contribution to this thread:

• 4 pixel gap between skill name and time to train, but 8 pixel gap between spacing of words. No color distinction when skill is below top. Tiny two-pixel gradient fade on text before a four pixel gap is all that will divide the two.
    • 27 pixel high skillbook icon with other icons closer to 18 pixels high, by comparison on my machine to the rest of the icons.
    • Clipping on side of Character Sheet window when resized.

All previously confirmed by other users, with a cherry-picked chat log linked several posts above citing the negative outcry on Rookie Help chat for a small period of time yesterday after the update.

Negative outcry is always to be expected. Sure, many who complained in chat were grumpy and just needed to get used to the new way of things. I am using them to further my argument.

I have come to respect the design choices made by CCP in regards to their UI and previous QoL improvements, since my eleven months playing. This one… These criticisms were brought forward before the thing even went live…

Rookie mistake! Drafting errors on a final project. Would it kill the pride so much to tidy the place up?

2 Likes