Version 23.02 - Catalyst - General Feedback

I learned something new then!

I was sure assembled ships could only fit in the SMB. I guess I was wrong.

2 Likes

I thought they already did put the Mining Destroyers as prerequisites for the barges:

But while the destroyers are in the correct place in the ship tree, CCP forgot to add them to the Mining Barge requirements:

3 Likes

But I need to hear the hold-is-full notification, otherwise I won’t realize that one of my ships has stopped mining.

Currently, the only way to turn off the rolling-rocks miner cycle notification sound IS to completely disable all sound in the client.

I wish they would make it be a ‘turret sound’ so that the slider in the advanced audio settings would be able to control it :frowning:

1 Like

New epic arc feedback:

Visually, it’s in line with the start of the game. Scripted, polished environments and camera angles. It looks beautiful. It also tries to showcase new ships and the new environment, which is great. It also showed and explained new features pretty good.

However…

This is not an epic arc. I assume there was an internal discussion how to present these 3-4 missions and make them visible. I also assume that there was at least a suggestion to add yet another type of content - feature preview, which would be available in the Agency as a separate entry. It looks like that suggestion was declined, probably because it adds yet another layer of complexity as a new type of content, so it ended up in the only category that is visible enough - epic arcs. But those are just my assumptions that may or may not be true.

Regarding mission design, I understand and appreciate that the Phase Field mission requires you to slowboat 200+km through the whole environment to be able to see it from all angles. And I enjoyed it. But that long slowboating didn’t have to repeat in the next mission (the one with the Odysseus), and each mission objective didn’t have to be 5 jumps from the agent (and each time 5 jumps back).

The last bad thing is - it’s only one agent in Caldari space. Players based in Amarr would have to travel a very long way for this.

Conclusion:

If you want to add a new epic arc, add a new epic arc. If you want to add a couple of missions to showcase new features, it would be better to find a way to do it like something else - not an epic arc. Keep it short and simple. There is absolutely no need to waste so much time on needless jumps and slowboating. And add it at least in all empires near trade hubs so that players don’t waste additional time traveling.

3 Likes

Today’s patch - “Temporarily reverted the Mining Barge skill needing Mining Destroyer level 3, it now requires Mining Frigate level 3 again to fix issues with pausing players skill queues.”

Back in the day, if you could fly it before, modifications in skills after meant you can still fly it. Just a matter of time when Ore Barge i, ii, and iii, along with Ore Tech 2 Barge i, ii, and iii will be suddenly locked off from players due to not having the new skill trained.

5 Likes

Just go through lowsec. You only need a venture to start the arc, either warp through the back gate of Ahbazon directly in your venture, or use a shuttle and buy a venture in Korsiki.

All valid suggestions, and I might add - use an alt. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a bad game design.

Cool story but could you please not use this popup that locks the entire client action until you click it away? Like seriously?

13 Likes

the drone mining sound is horrible. but i want the other sounds to stay. pls add a checkmark do disable them exclusively

1 Like

These have been on the market for longer than 24 hrs already. Pioneer CI hull is not difficult to manufacture and it only takes an hour and change to finish it.

Actually it’s not so nonsensical, given that most of the volume of the barges is ‘‘empty’’ mining hold volume meant to store ore. Thus barges have a greater loss of volume compared to their packaged state than mining destroyers.

Actually, not true. For a while I used a Torrent as a mobile base, and I had a fully assembled and fit Venture in my Fleet Hangar. No cargo in the hold, of course, but you can definitely put small assembled ships if the cargo hold is big enough.

/msd

Yea, Dyver corrected me already! Thanks.

I’ll edit my post.

1 Like

people do mining mission ?!

1 Like

Indeed, and we have a guide and ongoing thread (since 2017)

1 Like

Can no longer re-order targeted ships, which is really useful to do if you are in a logi. Please fix.

6 Likes

That was my bigger complaint. My minor complaint is that when using a barge when the cycle times were 3 minutes (but brought in a ton of ore) you could scan the rocks and do cut the cycle short. Then I get to feel smug when a miner without the scanner spends a 3-minute full cycle on 40mm.

Modal dialogs should never be used for ‘information’ events, only errors and warnings. Really wish CCP would remove them for entering certain combat sites and use the notification window instead.

1 Like

That’s not a sphincter, that’s a Phillips-head screw that holds it all together.

1 Like

Most players in high sec live in or near Caldari space. That’s why they put it there…