Warp time calculation

I saw an interesting question on the in-game rookie chat channel today about the actual physical time that a series of warps might take in Eve.

I found a page on the Eve University website - Warp time calculation - with enough equations to make most people’s heads spin I suspect but I wondered is there anything simpler out there in terms of a website that will calculate the amount of real time that a warp will take?

Although Eve is a game, it does take a certain amount of real-time time to play. Knowing how long a series of jumps might take you might be useful information.

:mouse:

Other than “expect a system to take 45 seconds to traverse and jump out of, unless you’re in a big & sluggish ship”. No not really, you can’t really boil down that much complexity into something that can be explained with a meme.

Best bet would be to try and run script at end of wiki page just with correct data.

Google found this. https://tweray.github.io/warpspeed/

It would be handy but possibly detrimental to random haulers like me to see actually how long an estimated journey might take.

In short, yes in principle but no as it eliminates the random feeling of a long trip.

I can’t imagine the number to be easily caluable. Whether you jump into a system aligned to the next gate or not matters – a lot. Also , obvious things like your au/s warp speed and your agility are all factors.

The math is possible but a lot of possibilities I’d imagine.

1 Like

When you jump into a system you are stationary, the way your ship is visually pointing doesn’t matter one bit.

5 Likes

For server ships have no direction. You can imagine them as dots in space. Turning of hull model and stuff is on on client side.

Math is already done and formulas are provided in link from OP.

A bit harsh. Maybe?

I do get what you mean but I wasn’t quite looking for that level of over-simplification.

It may be that the rule of thumb to be deployed here (because the vast majority of single jumps do actually take the same time) is 45 seconds on average per jump. Thus a 17 jump route might be assumed to take around 12.75 minutes.

What I was really looking for is what the warp figure is said for an any given ship.

I’m assuming that CCP must have some kind of data on this, and it’d probably be common between groups of ships - all battleships of a specific type for example - and it might be cool to know what this figure was, whether this is 45 seconds or something else.

Thanks for posting a link for the EVE warp time calculator @Lis_Torin. This is really cool and almost exactly what I was looking for.

I just tried it though (on a single jump for simplicity’s sake) and I’m not sure that it’s that accurate.

I entered the following information for my ship:

Warp Speed: 3.30au/s
Ship Max Velocity : 263.75m/s
Distance: 12.65au

The time that the calculator offered up for this jump was 30.709431 seconds.

For the purposes of the test, this is what I did:

I exited a station, and then immediately stopped my forward motion. The readout indicated that I was an orbit distance of 0m from the station.

I then activated a stopwatch on my iPhone at the same time as selecting/releasing on ‘Warp to Within 0m’. and stopped this at the point where ‘Warp Drive Active’ disappeared indicating that the warp drive had stopped operation.

The time that it took was 42.51 seconds. I probably need to allow for +/- 0.1 second (the typical reaction time of most people) to allow for the time that it took for me to press the stopwatch stop button.

It’s also noteworthy that I observed (on the second run of the test) that forward motion continued for another 63.92 seconds (if I left the ship to stop of its own accord) or 43.25 (if I pressed the ‘stop the ship’ minus sign on the HUD, three times for urgency)

Based on all this the total time for the jump (timed from start to the point where forward motion was 0.0m/s) was between 106.43 seconds to 85.76 seconds.

It’s possibly true that the math is complicated @Rekindle, although as the calculator that @Lis_Torin linked to shows, it should definitely be possible, assuming that there are some parameters (as I’m sure there are) that CCP has plugged into the game as standards (forward movement after warp drive shutdown being one of these for example).

I’m not sure that that’s entirely true. After jumping into a system I timed the alignment time before warp drive activation started (from a point of no forward motion after coming through the warp gate) and it was 10.63 seconds

It is, its why you can use the MWD trick on an orca and have it warp long before the model itself is actually aligned, its also why capitals used to warp sideways and why there was once a bug with the sansha frigate where it would warp backwards :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why would you count the time moving at all? What matters is how long before you can do another thing like orbit/jump/dock, not your ship coasting to a stop. Also, what’s your align time? The calculator doesn’t seem like it’s factoring that in.

It that not a case of the MWD kicking in and the ship moving and using a combination of pitch, yaw, and roll into alignment with the destination before it goes into warp?

The original reason I asked the question was because I was curious as to whether there was a way to calculate a rough estimate of the time (in terms of real life actual time) that it might take you to move between two points in the Eve universe.

Obviously, if you’re manually flying (as opposed to using autopilot, which no one does right?) then the periods of motion either side of engaging the warp drive would feed into this, so that’s why it matters.

And yes, you’re right @Dark_Lord_Trump, the calculator doesn’t seem to take that into account.

EVE ships are just treated as a single point. The actual model doesn’t mean anything when it comes to align times and warping.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess timing overall warp travel time is highly subjective to situation then, eh? I.e. hisec-only travel, rigs, asking oneself: “do I want to get exploded in a bubble warping gate to gate or take more time to travel correctly?”, etc.

The only thing that matters for alignment and thus warp is the vector of your ship: what direction it is moving in and at what speed. If the speed is 0 there thus is no vector in any direction which means that alignment from standstill is not affected by what direction the ship is facing.

The game engine sees ships as a point with a vector, there are other variables of course. Very basic, EVE isn’t exactly a sim. The graphics engine then tries to make sense of all that to make it look good, sometimes that fails and you warp sideways.

1 Like

For which purpose you need this? In some partial scenarios you can build your own travel time calculator.

IDK, it depends by how the CCP developped their game. For better 3D computations, especially on server side, a point in space is also a vector. It’s better to operate with vectors compared to coordinates. So, a ship in space is described by two vectors. It’s a known convention.

Taken the origin of our 3D world, we can draw a vector from it to the game object and this is the vector that describes the position of the game object inside the game world.

So we understand that vectors can not only be used to describe physical simulations, like the motion of a rigid body in a 3D world, but they can also be helpful to describe the position of an object inside the game world.

I’m curious, how exactly would you build your own travel time calculator? I’m quite non-techy so is this a coding thing that I wouldn’t understand?

The model will correctly align itself but the alignment of the model makes no actual odds, its just that generally speaking the ships animations are tied to their “expected” align times when it comes to much larger slower hulls

I’d like to throw some short phrases in response, but that’ll not help you sort it out. I need to spend decent time for the response. OK. Can you use the Google Sheets tool?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.