Warping Sideways

Yeah I forgot about that. MJD is a very good evidence. I warped into a mission site with my kronos once and cleared the room then mjded to go where i was already facing and it jumped in a random direction.

Double click in desired direction first, it is the only way to be sure. =)

If your ship is stationary it makes zero difference where its pointed as moving in any direction will take the same time to reach 75%

Thank you. That is not what you said earlier and I just wanted to clarify the point.

No its exactly what i said :stuck_out_tongue:

Sitting stationary works exactly the same as if you just jumped through a gate

No, it’s not. It is unfortunate that I appear to be picking on you. I am just highlighting how veterans get into a habit of speaking that confuses us noobs.

The question was:

Your answer first was:

The reality is, when you are stationary, you are at 0% speed and the direction you are pointing (ie the direction in which you are aligned) makes no difference to the time it then takes to reach 75% speed and therefore warp.

I know now what you meant, it was just unfortunate that you then talked secondly about being stationary and about travelling in the opposite direction, all in the same sentence. That made it sound like “pointing” in the wrong direction was also bad.

I am just harping on about how we all need to be careful about what alignment means in practice, 1) when flying vs 2) when stationary.

Actually, i think its more a case of newer players not understanding what the term “aligned” actually means, it means being at speed while being aimed at a specific point that you want to warp to, i think you’re thinking it actually means that your ship is just pointing in a direction while not moving

Moving in the opposite direction means you are pointed away, to be fair being aligned in any direction other than the one you want to warp will result in the same thing, the direction you’re facing while stationary makes zero difference, being aligned however does matter

Well its fairly simple

Aligned means moving at speed towards a point in space where you actually want to go, EVE even shows this as if you click the “align to” option for any celestial your ship will move in that direction at speed ready to warp

Being stationary makes no difference to the direction to need to travel and you would need to hit 75% max speed to enter warp, the direction of the warp doesn’t matter at all in this scenario as its only important that the physics object reaches the speed required to enter warp and that object doesn’t actually have a “front” as such, its actually better to think if it similar to a fishing line, your ship being the hook and the physics object being the float slightly further up the line, the model only wants to follow where the physics object goes and it will move to face the direction that the physics object is trying to go

GUILTY ! That is precisely what I thought … 'cause it is also precisely what “aligned with” means; in a geographical / positional context.

(Hmm. On re-reading your comment, I still have a quibble. I thought aligned meant pointing in a given direction, irrespective of whether moving or not. Again, that is not quite the definition you ascribed to me.)

Right. That is perfectly clear. And it is what I still do when mining. I lock on a rock, align … and then come to a complete stop … as does everyone else I’ve observed … and then continue mining. It is not just “newer” players who don’t get it.

To be fair. All the old codgers / the old forums did say to fly whilst aligned OR to mine whilst aligned. The problem is, and using your definition, I could never get my head around how to fly in an aligned direction and mine at the same time. So, I never have.

Stopping your ship ends the alignment. Your ship will settle to a lvl position in relation to the systems up and down, once you stop your ship.

I know that now and it was also the point of my comment - to show how many(?) players, new and old, are still getting it wrong.

Are we all now agreed on the following? :

• You can only be aligned whilst actively flying.

• You cannot be aligned passively eg whilst standing still.

• Whilst standing still, the direction you are pointing makes no difference to time it takes to get into warp

• For practical purposes, you cannot be aligned to one location whilst actively mining.

2 Likes

You can. To make it practical though you need a way to lower your speed. It’s a primary use of the Higg’s rig which will slow you right down and allow you to mine aligned, or you can use a web. Without it is possible too using two safe spots on opposite sides of a belt and keep going back and forth although the faster you move, and the shorter the range of your mining lasers, the more annoying it is.

The rest is correct. If you have no speed you have no movement vector so it will take the same amount of time to warp in any direction. The direction your ship is facing when you aren’t moving is arbitrary and doesn’t impact on the physics mechanics which determine when you enter warp.

1 Like

You could slow to 1 m/s manually, this will at least keep you half aligned, only needing to reach the 75% speed to warp, so not an instant warp but would still decrease the time to warp from that of being at a dead stop.

1 Like

Hmm. That was useful.

I was deliberately conflating practical with what " I " was actually prepared to do. So, swapping between two safe spots didn’t cut it to start with, which is why I specified one location. However, the Higgs might actually be practical.

Just simulated one in the covetor I am currently flying in low sec. It would reduce my top speed from 120 to 30 m/s. At a strip miner range of 18 km that gives me 10 minutes before I would have to realign “backwards”, which would then potentially give me 20 minutes between each alignment changeover. Even in the semi-afk game play style beloved of hi sec miners, I could see that actually working.

In this case you would only be half aligned if your speed to warp (75% of max speed) is 2 m/s. In most practical situations this is not the case, instead of having to accelerate from dead stop to, say, 200m/s you now have to accelerate from 1m/s to 200m/s. This 1m/s difference wouldn’t even make a server tick’s difference.

Half is pointing and the 1m/s is to maintain that alignment, the other half is the speed up.

But, as people have mentioned above, the pointing does nothing to affect your align time. The speed up is the only thing that matters.

For example: if your max speed is 133m/s, then you need to reach 75% of that, or 100m/s to get into warp. If your align time is 10 seconds, the your velocity increases by 10m/s each second. (Yes, I’m aware the velocity increase is nonlinear, but a linear approximation is enough to make my point.)

If you are already moving at 1m/s towards your destination, the time to reach warp speed is now 9.9 seconds. 9.9 seconds is not half of 10 seconds.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.