Wayfinder - an EveApps mapping tool

Two years ago, I made a custom public Pathfinder available that I had modified to run in a multi-server config, trying to squeeze all the performance I could out of that venerable platform. It worked, but never quite as well as I had hoped for.

I knew there were some strange things under the hood, like using data that didn’t line up with the Eve game data correctly, but it wasn’t until I had problems importing the new gates and systems from earlier this year that I finally decided it was time to move on.

Say hello to Wayfinder

Unlike every other mapper that I know of in the wild, this is one that you don’t need to spin up a Docker container for. I host it for you in a major datacenter using commercial software and services behind it. No private instances needed either. Even now it’s designed to handle several hundred capsuleers at once, and it’s prepared to be several thousand when the time comes.

Based mostly on the look and feel of Pathfinder, it also borrows heavily from Tripwire and just about every mapper that has come before. I tried to pick out the features that I felt were most important, added in some that I always wished I had, and then took from some wish lists I found.

So what’s the catch? It’s Eve, so there has to be a catch, right?
Well in a way there is. I’m an Eve capitalist if nothing else. You get one free map with up to 50 systems. You can share that map with your corp and/or up to 5 named characters. Larger maps (up to 300 systems), tracking your alts, and unlocking sharing with alliances and coalitions (more on that later) required upgrading to an ISK-paid plan.

And that means you aren’t running somewhere else to file a bug report or get support. You do it right inside your map instead.

My goal is to make this a mapper you can rely on, with features that solve your problems and keep you coming back. And I’m so confident you will, that I included one feature that I don’t think any mapper has ever had.

From the day it launched on 2026/08/31, Wayfinder has supported importing and exporting maps in the following formats:

  • Pathfinder
  • Wanderer
  • Nexum
  • WormholeSystems
  • Wayfinder native format

I also publish a sample of the Wayfinder backup format so developers of other mappers can choose to support it.

Log in, have a look around, and tell me what I got wrong as well as what I got right.

Teaser screen shots while I work on some detailed breakdowns and wait for the forums to let me post multiple images…

3 Likes

General screenshots and details

Some basic system details. Your selected system is shown with a gold halo so you can’t miss it. Bottom-right corner shows a count of PvP kills in the last 24 hours based on zKillboard data. Similar to Pathfinder, a name character that the map is tracking will appear below the system they are in, with a number to the right to indication additionals. Tooltip lists everyone and their ship.

Routing feels very similar to in-game. Options for Shortest, Safest, Less Secure. Right-clicking a system chip also lets you Avoid it in the router (still have to Avoid in-game too). Arrows at the right for Set Destination. Full route management is available in the gear icon at top-left.

PvP Activity panel in the sidebar uses up to 90 days of data from zKillboard to show kills per hour for the day of week, so you have an idea when the selected system might be active. As shown here, Jita is almost always active…

Data feed from zKillboard for your selected system or the entire map. Includes a number of special flags such as those shown below.

Click an item to get a consolidated kill report and a link out to zKillboard for full details.

Discord and browser alerts with nobody watching the map

Wayfinder can ping you when the map isn’t open.

Discord webhooks (fire with zero map tabs open)

  • System added
  • Kills (incl. aggregates / final blow)
  • Structures
  • Sov timers (system, defender, timer type)
  • EOL
  • Map deleted

Configure under Map Settings → Discord / notifications.

Browser notifications (same filter logic)

  • Kills, EOL, access revoke, map deleted

Watchlist (personal)

  • Hunt by system, hole type, effect, destination, or site
  • Map highlight + one-time toast
  • Discord for watchlist is off by default — opt in if you want it

Multiboxer support

You have your mapper open and you have most or all of your characters being tracked. Then you go to interact with the map and… wait, which character are we doing this for again?

Remember the Set Destination I showed above? Doesn’t matter if you click that button or right-click a system and Set Destination from that menu, if you have multiple characters tracked by the map, I have your back. You tell the mapper which character to set, or tell it to Set All.

Pasting signatures in from the probe scanner, but have characters spread across the map, maybe even have a different system selected? Yeah, that can be handled too.

Fleet & Intel

Support for pasting D-Scan results directly into the map. They become a short-lived (15 minutes) chip on the system card. Mouseover to see a consolidated list of ships. New D-Scan data for the same system overwrites immediately and starts a new 15-minute lifetime.

Got someone with multiple scouts getting D-Scan intel on enemy movements? The multibox support applies here as well.

FC Panel to see where everyone on the map is and what they are flying.

As stated above, Wayfinder isn’t a Docker container you can just drop on a server. It’s way more robust than that.

Wayfinder is actually five servers, each with their own resources that can scale independently as load requires.

  • Web front end, the one you interact with constantly
  • Location worker that talks to ESI, tracking everyone and their alts currently on a map
  • Importer worker that is routinely pulling data from ESI, zKillboard and more. During downtime, it also checks for a new SDE and imports changes without taking the system down
  • Cache that keeps data hot and available even if something else needs to reboot
  • Database that handles long-term storage and scales on demand, sometimes to as much as 10x power when receiving SDE updates

More to come…

1 Like

if it’s better then tripwire which I have used since Tripwire was around I have no issues in paying ISK. The issue with your Pathfinder, it lacked keeping system records, tripwire has a simple layout and can add intel and notes on each system.

I am not a coder, so I have to rely on others, the issue is that coders in EVE get bored, or simply move on in life and drop support for the product they created..

To clarify, you’re saying that systems need a detailed notes box beyond an alias and a status?

Biggest thing I brought from Tripwire are visible stubs on systems when you have identified wormholes but haven’t jumped through them yet.

there a notes block, you able to add info such as stations, corp info, copy corp zkillbaord

Here is what it looks like.. Notes Example fw hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

I was not in a WH at this time, only hunt in WH,s however, the this is my set up.

Regarding POS and structures, can you confirm if the d-scan support will cover that? There is a dedicated Structures area in the sidebar that is populated by copy/paste of d-scan results. Data is held for the system indefinitely.

Do I have to manually add systems when I jump through them? It doesn’t seem to automatically add them (track you) like pathfinder did. My character info correctly states which system I am in but no system added to map

Looks like the Tracking Scope for your map was set to Wormholes. Was it not creating any systems at all, or was it just skipping k-space systems on gate jump maybe?

I live in a wormhole so I had set the scope to wormholes since I don’t really want the k-space systems on the map.

(edit: I do want the exit k-space systems, just not the stargates if I jump around in k-space if that makes sense)

It doesn’t create systems automatically at all, I have to manually add systems

Bug identified. Will get a patch deployed within the hour.

seems to be automatically updating now. thanks for looking into it

When you mentioned the Notes box, I was certain that I had one in the schema so something must have happened to it while working on the UI. You can now right-click a system card and find Set Note.

Once set, a note icon will appear beside the system. Not yet fully happy with its placement yet, but it’s a start at returning it to the UI.

Added a number of screenshots, including a couple of hidden features.

Discord and browser alerts with nobody watching the map

Wayfinder can ping you when the map isn’t open.

Discord webhooks (fire with zero map tabs open)

  • System added
  • Kills (incl. aggregates / final blow)
  • Structures
  • Sov timers (system, defender, timer type)
  • EOL
  • Map deleted

Configure under Map Settings → Discord / notifications.

Browser notifications (same filter logic)

  • Kills, EOL, access revoke, map deleted

Watchlist (personal)

  • Hunt by system, hole type, effect, destination, or site
  • Map highlight + one-time toast
  • Discord for watchlist is off by default — opt in if you want it

App: https://evewayfinder.app

New Feature: Multi-delete for systems

Shift-drag to draw a box like Pathfinder to select systems, or use Ctrl-Click to select instead.

Del or Backspace to remove all selected systems, except those that are locked.

Continuing to push out updates for small things like display issues reported by users.

One feature of Wayfinder that is different from other mappers is that a support ticket system is built directly into your map. And I act on those tickets usually same-day. No need to leave the app just to ask for help.

Hundreds of capsuleers already use Wayfinder. You should be next!

I used their public Pathfinder before. Even tried Wanderer. So far I’m liking Wayfinder more. Faster, don’t have to scroll the page, and the kill info is easy see without leaving the map.