What a game! Good and Bad

Agreed on most points which brings me back to my original point.

If you put a rig on your ship to help with CPU or PG issues, training pg manage and cpu manage to V will most times allow to fit rigs that increase weapon damage, shield armour speed etc, instead of making up for an underlying issue of need to train “core skills”.

I agree with you and understand all the “sub skills” as they exist in many different places in the tree, but, the core 14 are just that, the foundation to work from which getting the MOST out of your fit without wasting any cpu or pg.

Part of fitting in EVE is to make the best with what you have.

Not everyone has perfect fitting skills. But even later into the game you run into issues that not every module will always be available. Not always will you have that one abyssal module to make your fit fit.

Learning how to make the best of your fits with what you have by using compact meta modules, fitting implants, fitting skills, fitting modules and fitting rigs is a useful skill to have.

Again, you put too much value on the ‘magic 14’.

Once upon a time these skills were introduced as a nice list of support skills that pretty much always are useful, which helps newer players to choose a skill to train when they’re not certain what kind of gameplay they want to train into.

They’re not the best skills to train, nor the most necessary skills. They’re simply very general support skills that often (but not even always) apply when you’re flying a ship.

It has a nice catchy name with ‘magic’ in it, which is what makes people remember those skills. Sadly this also makes people attribute magical skills to these skills, which are rather boring and not even very impactful support skills. There are other support skills that can be more impactful depending on your situation. And there are always other skills that are more impactful if you know what your playstyle is and what kind of ship you want to fly.

Bottomline is, I get really annoyed when people suggest newbies to train this set of minor support skills for months to level 5 because someone once gave them a magic name.

They aren’t special, they aren’t helping you fit ships beyond the two fitting skills in it and they’re not meant to be trained to level 5 at the start of a newbies career.
These skills are simply a good suggestion when someone doesn’t know what to train and has no idea what they want to do. And they’re a good set of skills to train once people have unlocked a bunch of ships they can use to have fun ingame and want to get slightly better at flying those ships.

But if a player is new to the game they have many skills they can train, and my recommendation would be to pick a few playstyles and unlock new ships, guns and other modules to be able to get a feeling for those playstyles, rather than train a few minor support skills while docked up for weeks because they had not yet unlocked any fun ships to fly.

1 Like

True on all counts again, but, you really are missing my point of advice of always having one of them in que. I never said say stay docked up and wait or not unlock fun ships to fly.
Getting the “core 14” “magic 14” all to III will allow you to fly most ships in the game, but, at some point they will all have to be trained to V to get the most out of the very best pvp and pve fits as fitting gets tight.
I am just saying that a newbie should always have a plan for these skills, and by no means are they minor.

Absolutely have fun and fly fun, just realize that they are still the 14 on the radar for a reason.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.