What about an EvE Classic server?

Just think you could spend your first week learning Learning Skills…

No, that is just the golden age fallacy you fell for. I can remember fights of 70 people lagging out and crashing for one site. Add to that the completely horrible user interface of old EVE which was significantly improved over time bit by bit. While we have some ■■■■ like skill injectors I could do without, the EVE we have today is by far the best EVE we ever had.

No one would want to play the old EVE, not even you.

1 Like

I would leave in a heartbeat, just to no longer have those ■■■■■■■ billboards everywhere.

an April Fools gag maybe, to bring back the 1st Gen ship models…

But billboards existed back then aswell :stuck_out_tongue:
I assume you mean the adverts in stations, not that i even notice them anymore

Only on gates and they were easily ignored. The ones we have now are pretty much everywhere and you constantly have to turn the camera around if you don’t want to watch that ■■■■. Not to mention the performance impact (it adds up with 20+ clients).

Maybe try playing the game without running 20 clients? :stuck_out_tongue:

And to be fair i only see them in stations or on gates, i’ve not seen any random in space billboards and like i said you can easily zone out the station ones, be happy they haven’t yet started advertising things like pepsi :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, the billboards are ■■■■ and they should provide an option to turn them off. But compared to what EVE used to be that is just nothing I’m really concerned about. When I started EVE and this was in 2007 it was basically unplayable, as every minor fight completely desynced and crashed. Fortunately w-space came out and that fixed it partially for me. Not to speak of all the ui stuff they fixed over the years. And pure convenience features like saving and sharing fittings, multifit…

…even freaking killmails did not exist and where just a text file. And no pod killmails… seriously do you want to go back to a time where there are no pod killmails? This is all just stuff from the top of my head and there is a ton of more stuff like that. It would suck, no one would want to play that today.

It’s all jut blurred romantic memories about a time that never existed if you think EVE was better in the past.

A classic Eve server written in modern code could be the way to go?

How does “modern code” make a game better? What do you even mean by that?

They’re also outside of stations and citadels.

Probably just means “classic EVE, but with today’s graphics and UI”.

That makes no sense at all. What would be “classic” about it?

Wishful thinking I’m guessing.

Eve “Classic” to me would be Eve Online without Strategic Cruisers, Spider Logi, Super Caps Online, along with a bunch of other things; and with the original character “cartoonish” portraits.

Although, I think I would rather have current structures, as in not needing to spend all night setting up a Death Star, and several other things.

I don’t think you could find a specific build of this game that would be ideal for a classic version of this game that would attract enough players to make it worth it.

Note: I’d suggest that modern “code” means not having the old POS/Outpost/Grid code, having TiDI, and all the other behind the scenes code adjustments that has made the game run better, for the most part.

1 Like

+1 …

Pretty convinced from reading comments that the people asking for original EVE never played original EVE.

Thats still part of the station

“Classic” is an entirely subjective term to the speaker. It is one person’s view of a thing’s golden days. Even if the high point of a product’s lifespan could be objectively identified, it would never be agreed upon by the consumers because their classic is what they started on or got involved with.

Example: Do you know what was so great about watching Power Rangers when you were five?
The fact that you were watching it when you were five. Objectively, it’s the same plot points recycled on a weekly basis, but to your fresh and wondering mind, it was AMAZING OMGWTFBBQ.

Another example: Listen to any American “classic rock” station for a half hour. It’s music that is supposed to be the defining material of a genre, but if you pay attention to what’s being played, you’ll hear music from several different genres across a span of fifty years or more, a lot of which have nothing to do with each other aside from that they were popular in the US at some point. Tell me that Def Leppard and Bob Dylan belong in the same category of art and I’ll call you an idiot. Heck, a bunch of the artists aren’t even American (The Beatles, Elton John, etc).

But let’s assume that the capsuleer community could agree on what “classic EVE” is. Or anything, for that matter. CCP, like any other company, would never make a move like this unless there was something in it for them. If a player is not satisfied with the current product that they are offering, that player should stop giving CCP their money. Vote with your wallet. It is naive to think that any company ever would do anything that reflects real change unless it affects their bottom line.

This is not a criticism- companies exist to make money, after all. And a few posts about how people want things back to the good ol days are a hollow argument when stacked up against the subscription money they rake in every month.

Anyone who wants “Classic” eve is a newbro lol

1 Like