What battleship for missiles and shield?

Sounds like a Raven would suit you fine, unless you have ISK and skills to sink into some faction . T2 bling… you are never realistically going to lose a ship (unless something goes very wrong) on a lvl4 so risk is no real issue. Raven is also pretty simple to balance between tank and dps for lvl 4 so you can tune the fit you your style as you do them :slight_smile:
There are way more profitable ways use a Faction / T2 BS than these lvl4 sites, I would suggest you don’t waste that kind of investment on them longer term, how many lvl 4’s does it take to pay for a Rattlesnake, what else could you use all that ISK for…?
And don’t rush it, if the Praxis is working it’s working…

1 Like

check out typhoon fleet… there’s a really great fit floating around if you can fly manually… its also known as a lawnmower

Thanks, I did look at that one a bit ago. I had already started training for the Raven at that point, and wasn’t sure I wanted to train another racial BS skill. I’ll have both Caldari and Gallente BS skills up to a level that I can at least evaluate the Rattlesnake. My drone skills, especially sentry, still need another couple of weeks before I’d think about getting one though.

i’ve been made fun of this, but i had a shield tanked raven, as i was getting my skills better, which now im using a missile snipe raven, still trying to get used to it.

Here’s my Praxis build. 750 (450 from missiles) DPS using T2 Medium drones. 130 target range, 144 missile range

[Praxis, Sun]
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Co-Processor II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Republic Fleet Ballistic Control System

100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Clarity Ward Enduring Shield Booster
Missile Guidance Computer II
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster
Enduring Explosive Shield Hardener
Enduring Multispectrum Shield Hardener
Large Micro Jump Drive

‘Arbalest’ Cruise Launcher I
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Kinetic Shield Reinforcer I
Large Thermal Shield Reinforcer I

Hornet II x5
Vespa II x5
Hammerhead I x1
Valkyrie II x5
Hammerhead II x4
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5

Targeting Range Script x1
Mjolnir Cruise Missile x1200
Scourge Cruise Missile x1200
Inferno Cruise Missile x1200
Nova Cruise Missile x1344
Enduring Multispectrum Shield Hardener x1
Ballistic Control System II x1
Enduring EM Shield Hardener x1
Enduring Kinetic Shield Hardener x1
Enduring Thermal Shield Hardener x1

Started using a Typhoon with T2 Rigor rigs. Still using cruise, along with MJD and MWD. works well, about 15% better clear time than my Praxis. Not as much of a jump as I’d hoped, but maybe I’ll move up to the Typhoon Fleet someday.
On the plus, now I’m skilled to 4 in every race Battleship except Amarr :). Had to try them all.

Since this thread got necro’d anyway, interesting fit. However I don’t get spending an extra ~300 mil on faction launchers for only 30 ish more DPS and no chance for using T2 ammo, where the furies hit way harder.

Even if you can’t use T2, you’d get better DPS using meta launchers and instead spending that isk on caldari navy BCU’s

Still, it’s your ship so enjoy it. :slight_smile:

Faction launchers can use T2 ammo now.

1 Like

Oh hey, so they finally made a change to make them worth it?

Still, I don’t see them being worth the extra 300 mil. Just playing with the fit (I love crafting fits) I can come up with a higher DPS, higher tank fit while shaving an easy 600 mil off the cost, and far fewer bling items worth dropping. But that’s just me.

What is T2 ammo good for? Crap range, the high damage stuff is worthless. The precision stuff you can replace with a tracking computer or whatever. It is amazing anybody buys it.

1 Like

Fair enough, I don’t fly missile boats much, and almost never BS size. I do tend to like other weapon T2 ammo.

Still, its not hard to get that ship less gank worthy and with a higher DPS and tank, regardless of ammo type.

300 mil is a drop in the bucket…a few mouse clicks to me. I stopped thinking about isk a long time ago. Once isk is no longer a factor, the extra DPS, no matter how small, is a no brainer. I have no use for T2 ammo as I make faction ammo for nothing, simply because I find it fun. It’s strong and versatile, and I don’t feel the need to bother using anything else.

I mine for an hour to make enough T1 missiles to last for weeks, then I do Navy missions and trade in the LP for faction. Easy peasy and I have half a million faction missiles stockpiled…which is one of the many reasons I was able to stop thinking about isk. Most of the time I don’t even use them, because I can do the job without them.

I can wipe the floor with emerging and minor conduits, any epic arc mission, L4, etc., without ever having to run…or move for that matter. No need to think about precision, range, DPS…just finding the hole in the tank, and sticking Inferno or Scourge in it until it dies. Simplicity is my thing.

Between passive PI, bounties coming in by the tens of millions from missions, selling off the loot just to de-clutter my hangars, and dropping excess faction missiles in the market in multiple active systems at a couple bucks below retail, the isk just shows up, so why not spend it on cool stuff for my ship. All the tiny incremental additions in different areas have a tendency to add up to substantial gains.

In the end, it’s like you said…it’s my ship, and I enjoy it.

2 Likes

That is fair, to each their own. Personally I just don’t care about bling for the sake of bling and I prefer being less of a gank target.

If isk is no issue I’d get those BCU’s upgraded. CN BCU’s really bump the DPS up.

you went large instead of xl shield booster?

That’s half your shield tank, right there.

With the recent nerfs to certain shield mods, I find it hard to justify spending 2bill to get the same tank and an extra 85dps. Might as well stick with the Praxis until you’re skilled into the Marauder.

1 Like

I have a Golem. Who said I didn’t? This post was about a Rattle. MY Rattle, and I’ll set it up any way I want. I don’t have to play your way. You build whatever you want. I don’t need an XL shield booster, because large does the job just fine…so yeah…more DPS. And again…2bil isk doesn’t mean anything to me.

Caldari Navy Ballistic control does not help you hit swarms of small fast ships such as a large group of Trigs, so that added DPS would serve no purpose. You know what does help you hit those easily? Polybolos. There’s a reason I built my ship this way, and your way will not be an upgrade…it will be a detriment. I have been flying this ship for a couple of years. Everything on it is the result of trial and error, and I have it dialed in.

DPS isn’t everything. Tank isn’t everything. A proper balance for your play style…THAT’S everything.

Bling for the sake of bling? That would suggest I built it to impress someone else. I did not. And that bling has a positive effect…so not just bling. A gank target? Never been ganked in this ship…a couple of moronic mission interrupters tried a few times and failed, but that’s it. I’m not worried. Bring it. Like I keep saying…isk is nothing. If I lose it and have to spend a few bil to make another, so be it. I have the build saved, and a few mouse clicks later…boom. Another Rattlesnake.

Can’t live in fear, dude…

What is a polybolo?

Fair enough. I rarely fly missile ships and didn’t closely compare the module stats. If the polybolos have bonuses to application that makes sense.

Like I said before you do you boo.

ML-EKP ‘Polybolos’ Ballistic Control System

Has an 8% explosion velocity bonus and 8% to both ROF and damage of missiles.

Somewhat less DPS than a t2 or even a meta BCS, but better application.

And w/ 3 of them, he’d be better on DPS, range AND application on most frigates/cruisers by going to 2x C3-X ‘Hivaa Saitsuo’ Ballistic Control System and a t2 missile guidance enhancer.

My setup: 70.7km range
98.7m explosion radius
135m/s explosion velocity

His setup: 62.9km range
105m explosion radius
154m/s explosion velocity
The DPS graph against an ideal target: https://prnt.sc/ugj4wh

And if he actually meant it with isk being no issue, well, swapping the faction LSB for a gist will let him pull the Cap recharger and add a guidance computer, which lets him do scripting for even better clearance speed.

Got a rattlesnake set up last night. Not full bling like above, but with a few faction / DED gear. It’s super nice, much better than anything else I’ve flown. I had a typhoon I’ve been using for a bit, and the rattlesnake is just next tier, far above the T1 hulls. I might try out a TFI at some point, but I’m pretty happy so far.
Running RHML on the rattle.