What does 1 damage/hit-point equal?

Well my train of thought there was basically that I can buy a Titan’s shield tanking gazillion tons of TNT equivalent - but how does a frigate like a Breacher, or even the tankier ones like the Punisher, absorb 4,000 megatons (or to be realistic-ish, any larger nuke) of damage in a single hitpoint. Especially after its armor and shields have already been ripped apart. I just can’t wrap my head around how one could quantify 1HP with a TNT equivalent without coming up with different values for armor, shield and structure. And so on.

Most of the time armor can take more than structure HP wise and same with shields. Structure can still be strong because they are probably made of insanely hard alloys. You can even look up with modern day warships they don’t have thick armor because its too heavy but they have hard metal alloys. It can withstand missiles and stuff. You can lookup videos where it takes multiple large explosions to sink regular destroyers and battleships they are decommissioning. Structure doesn’t mean soft or completely hollow.

1 Like

For that to be a good comparison those destroyers and battleships would need to be shot at with nukes, or railguns. I could buy a magitech shield protecting them until it fails, but their armor would not withstand kilotons of TNT, nor would their structure. Why I think this, is because some of the weapon systems used should be incredibly destructive if they were portrayed realistically, like antimatter ammunition, and railguns just shooting whatever at relativistic velocities, so if we compare it to modern vessels, it would mean something equally destructive used against them, not just another battleship shell.

So when I imagine a ship that has its other defenses shot to pieces tanking 80 Tsar Bombas going off simultaneously with just its internal crossbrazing and even with internal forcefields (damage control module), well, I just don’t see it happening. And it’s not just the structure, but all the equipment subjected to those forces - power conduits, reloading mechanisms, reactors and so on. Of course, in EVE, your ship will always stay in fighting shape until the last HP is gone, so there’s that.

I’m not an expert on any of this stuff and I’m not arguing this just to be a jerk, but I don’t honestly see the point in trying to calculate the RL damage of 1HP other than that you really enjoy math.

Speaks volumes about the durability of our shields and armor. Many primitive worlds like our earth would kill for that kind of tech.

1 Like

Yeah, its insane

anyone know why the doomsday’s arent more powerful than nukes? Why wouldn’t we just hurl nukes at titans?

Well according to some maths up there in previous links, it says Avatar’s old DD does 200 trillion tons of TNT worth of whoomph (through comparison to asteroid impact and predicted effects), or way more than the entire world’s nuclear stockpile. Global nuclear arsenal is estimated at 6400 megatons.

1 Like

Because hitpoints, a system made for measuring a ship’s distance from death, designed primarily with game balance in mind without any reliable references to RL physics, can’t be accurately converted to RL units of any kind? This game contains a lot of numbers that are comically inaccurate to begin with, ammo sizes, freighter cargohold sizes for instance. There also isn’t any solid, coherent base of references to say that any of such numbers can actually be taken for the real deal. We see that an Avatar has a powergrid of 1.250.000 MW, but if a patch comes around that multiplies all PG capacities and needs by 10 in-game, are we going to assume all the Avatars had their reactor count increased tenfold overnight?

I mean, it is one thing to try to get a rough estimate of the fictional destructive power of a fictional civilization by bringing together bits and pieces, another thing to actually take those estimations for facts and inquire further over them.

There is also no reason to take the sheer destructive power as the only factor to how fatal a weapon can be to a ship.

1 Like

Paging @Valerie_Valate or @Synthetic_Cultist (can’t remember which one of you blondes it was) to explain how the density of a jump drive is equal to an exotic dancer.

2 Likes

lol.

Let us consider the Obelisk.
Now then, an Obelisk has a dry mass of 940,000,000 kg, and a volume of 17,550,000 m³
So, the overall density of the Obelisk is 53.65 kg/m³

Now then, let us consider the Providence
It has a volume of 18,500,000 m³, and a mass of 900,000,000 kg. Its average density is a mere 48.65 kg/m³

Now, if we look at the attributes of an Exotic Dancer, we find that she is 50kg, and is transported in a bubble of exactly 1m³, making her average density 50kg/m³.

So, we see that given a suitably large amount of exotic dancers, several km³ of them, to form a sea of exotic dancers, then we can see that an Obelisk would sink in this sea, while a Providence does not.

2 Likes

Now we need to test that.

It seems that how much damage a weapon can do to a ship is based off of simply how much energy it generates. There is no penetration or braking ships in eve, there is only removing all hitpoints.

Yes, but in the books modern titans leave craters that are the size of cities. Trillions of tons of tnt would destroy planets, so are those the old titans. That might explain why doomsday’s aren’t comparable to nukes cause they banned that amount of power.

1 HP in the hand…

… is worth 2 in the bush??

1HP is imply an arbitrary measure of the amount of damage inflicted to cause an effect on a target. The actual damage would vary from target to target.

Caldari would probably calculate it in ISK required to repair, Gallente in how much the onboard drones can deal with before being outstripped, Amarr in how much ego the hit destroyed, and Matari in how much rust the shot cleaned off.

Still need to factor in the different damage types too. For example: missile damage types. There is a lot of overlap and inconsistency here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.