What does Autopilot do?

@Wyk_Bathana:

You do know that this is NCQA?

It is for new players to ask questions. And what might seem dumb questions to you, might be a big roadblock to them. Nobody is forcing you to reply to the threads that you find dumb, just leave them. Plenty of other helpful people around to assist.

Your typical, ‘go google’ or join corp doesn’t really help

EDIT:

I do agree with you though. It would be nice if new players took their time to do some research on the game they play themself. But see it this way, he already did at least find the forums and the correct place to ask his questions :stuck_out_tongue:, that is already better then a lot of new players who just get frustrated and give up.

Wait…

you joined a russian corp and all they do is speak russian and you dont.

What? Why? That is the first thing you need to be aware off… people in the same time zone, preferably talking the same language as you.

Kane, just checked in game. Eruch is still in starter NPC corp.

Wyk just give the suggestion to join a corp, but not any of the spamming russian ones that are around.

I do agree with Wyk on it, a good corp can make or break your EVE experience when you just start out.

1 Like

I’m starting to think this dude is just trolling now.

5 Likes

It could be. Still, by helping this troll, we might be helping genuine newbies that have the same question and look up information.

EDIT:

Keep in mind, we all once were very clueless about EVE too. For some a long long time ago that was.

2 Likes

JPoll

1. as already said, just check my usual answers, i usually try to help new players when they seem to try to help themselves
  2. i also find OPs questions smelling like troll

for example, Qia Kare perfectly answered to OP: “When you plot a route to a destination (for example, by right clicking on a station and selecting ‘set destination’ in the context menu, the autopilot will automatically pilot your ship to that destination. It is similar to clicking on gates/the station and clicking ‘warp to’ with one key difference: Your ship will not warp to a range close enough to the gate or station to jump/dock immediately, but will definitely land some distance off and have to slowboat to the target. This gives people time to shoot you, if they want.”

then several hours after, OP asked again “it’s really that bad? like will it warp you in to the middle of a planet? jumping you into a black hole?”

whereas the answer is just a few posts above…

draw your own conclusions…

@Wyk_Bathana

Yeah, I also smell a good bit of troll scent on this person. But as just above mentioned to Kane, I just answer still as good as possible. Who knows which other new player might open the thread with a question about the Auto Pilot in EVE and that genuine new player can get their anwer out of it.

This is unfortunately the only downside of alts being quite a big thing. Who says who is new or who is an alt, used just for the fun of trolling on the forum.

yes and that’s why i keep on reading this forum section after several years, i keep on learning new things here. And you and the usual old players who regularly answer here are good guys.
But eve is tough and not for lazy players. It is also a mmo with a strong social part. Imo, new players should be aware of that, and try to join a corp, to get friends, advices, help, fits, ships, and above all, objectives, aims, and enemies
Mining ore just for isks is not very pleasant, if you don’t know what to do with the isks. Mining ore because your corp will buy your ore and build somethg with that has some sense

I think we should start by finding out what “Autopilot” does actually mean. There’s two parts, one is dangerous, but the other is very helpful:
The dangerous part is what you read here, don’t let the Autopilot fly your ship if you want to keep the ship. Of course you can take a shuttle and autopilot to Jita, and meanwhile do the laundry. But some guys transport BPOs or other small gems in shuttles, so they can be juicy targets for ganking - or just an easy target to test a ganking smartbomber.

The helpful part is route planning. The Autopilot tells you how far you have to travel and which systems you jump into. It shows the way to a destination, so you don’t have to learn system names, but just have to follow the “yellow brick road”, i.e. the yellow highlighted stargates in the overview. Warp, jump, repeat, and you will travel quite fast.
In the route planning section, you can chose if you want to travel through highsec (“secure”) or the direct connection(“fast”), which often means a shortcut through Lowsec chokepoints. These systems are ganker’s paradise, smartbombing and camping is very ususal there. E.g. the Killboard for Rancer.

So don’t neglect the autopilot, it’s kind of a “GPS” you should be able to handle. But don’t let your GPS drive your car :wink:

1 Like

ahh thanks for all these replies. this is NOT a troll post. I joined like 3 weeks ago and I have no idea how to play. I want to thank you guys for being so patient and answering my dumb questions.

and edit: I will try not to ask anymore “stupid” questions like this one.

This has nothing to do with the actual auto pilot. It has to do with setting destinations or waypoints

The only real stupid question is the one you didn’t or were afraid to ask

well, thanks again for being patient all the way.

Yeah, the big “A” stands for “route planning” :wink:

I really hope you try to be sarcastic

1 Like

EVEuni also says it’s part of the autopilot: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Autopilot_avoidance

Aah I was thinking you were talking about the big A button that engages the AP

no he was talking about the A in the top let part of your window, just beside the name of the system where you are

But he said big A, and the one on top left on my screen is much smaller then the one on your HUD :stuck_out_tongue:

you mean that your A is smaller than mine?

:wink:

1 Like