What to do for ISK when playing Solo?

Hello forum,

as I have recently found out, I am quite incompetent when it comes to fitting ships for things :smiley:
That is why so far I have been only doing WH exploration, a little PI and rarely some PVP.
Just recently I did some PVP in WH, because I got bored. It is fun, but I like PVE more.

I have been doing some L4 security missions, but no idea on how I can do the Anemic missions at all, because I only use my Praxis normally. But it is slow like hell and most of the time I am just annoyedā€¦(as I said, bad at fitting a ship for a purposeā€¦)

As there are so many combat sites in WH or normal space, which of these can be done solo and have reasonable payout? Can someone recommend a fit for a guy who has mostly heavy rocket and torpedo skills? If that makes any sense at allā€¦ I have some skill points to spend, so maybe switching to other weapons makes sense? Does not matter if I have to train for a couple of weaks, if someone has good tips!

Thanks for any hints!

1 Like

Best Solo ISK Printing is of course Trading. No activity can make you richer than clever usage of the market. Simple T2 production (modules, drones) and simple reactions also yield nice profits. On 3 chars you can have 30 Research, 30 Manufacturing and 30 Reaction slots, thats insane amounts of ISK if you know what you are doing.

When it comes to ā€œflying spaceships soloā€ good options are:

• L4 in Highsec. Important is that you use a Marauder, learn how to blitz, learn how to exchange LP with high profits and of course learn how to run all the Burner Missions.

• Running Abyssals and learn to fly at least T4 and T5 with a 100% success rate. If you dare to push it to the limits, mix in some T6.

• Having your own lowclass WH. Requires a maximum in knowledge about all the mechanics around scanning, rolling, farming etcā€¦, skills to exploit all the resources in there and at least a second account (dual-Omega). Can generate huge amounts of cash if you run a 6-char PI farm plus taking most of the Gneiss, Gas and Blueloot. You can even run up to 60 Science and 60 Manufacturing Jobs on your own POS, I doubt you can hold a Citadel for long, but if you can, also 60 Reaction Slots are possible on 6 Chars.

However, if you even struggle at fitting ships, none of that is a realistic option. You should find a Player Corporation and learn, learn, learn. Or learn for yourself with watching tons of youtube guides, playing around in PyFa, reading EVE-Uni-Wiki and so on. But, the more enjoyable way is to join a good corp, take part in their activities and the ISK and knowledge will come all by itself over time.

On the other hand, work 2 hours overtime at McDonalds (insert any low wage job you like in here) and buy some PLEX, nothing gets you more ISK per time invested. No joke.

2 Likes

The hypernet is the best method for making isk in Eve. Try The Hyper Nexus chat channel in game and start with Kikiā€™s.

Question - what makes you think you are incompetent at fitting ships? Everyone learns in different ways and at a different pace. You can check out videos (a lot of YT channels will include the fits in their comment section), read through the forums and various third party sites, or just jump in and experiment with the fitting tool - save fits that you like the feel of and maybe try a few.

As Syzygium says, finding a friendly Corp is also a good way forward and they will help you develop.

As for solo content, the big ones have been mentioned: L4 blitzing (I full clear as I am less concerned about max ISK but do like salvage), running escalations if you clear the pirate sites in Hi-Sec (Dens tend to give the highest % of escalations, but refuges can also work) and the abyssal filaments can print money at higher levels but require a good fitting knowledge.

Iā€™ve not tried running my own WH, so donā€™t have a clue about the practicalities, but the loot in them can be worth a lot so should offset the cost of your various deathsā€¦

Missiles are a good all purpose tool as you can tailor the damage to your opponents weakness so if you are skilled in to them so much the better - other people will extol the virtues of various guns, and indeed my alts run other weapons systems but my main is a missile player.

Are you using the Praxis because you canā€™t use another BS hull currently? If so, train your favourite race ship tree to BS level - overall you will get better stats at that point compared to the Praxis. The Praxis is a great ā€˜trainerā€™ BS as it requires a very low skill set to fly. There are a number of other skills that would be useful to train too if you havenā€™t already to improve your overall performance.

send me a message in game if you want, Iā€™m on most days at least for a little while!

Fly safe o7

1 Like

I would try going solo for awhile. Then join a corporation. Run High Sec missions, grind the Skeletom Comet, build ISK and train skills to be able to filament in Null to rat the belts and raid ESS.

My usual recommend is: Do what you enjoy, the ISK will follow.

The marketā€¦ watch OZ_eveā€™s you tubes on Zero to PLEX

Easy and very simple.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer so far, let me try to comment:

@Syzygium
I tried playing around with buying/selling stuff, but could not find products with a usable margin, so most likely that is nothing for me? Producing things resulted in small losses as well. Guess my skills are not good enough and/or I would have to use more characters.
So basically, when it comes to alts, I just see it as you mentioned in your last paragraph, I could basically buy me PLEX for ISK. But this I will only do if I ā€œwantā€ some ship/fit I cannot afford with my ISK. But then again, I have no clue which ship I ā€œneedā€ :smiley: You see the circle hereā€¦

• L4 high sec is what I use my Praxis for. It can do almost every mission without warping out, however it takes some serious time because I do only 400dps with the Praxis even though my heavy missile skills are 5. I am sure there are better fits to do them faster, but I cannot find them.

• Abyssals (Triglavian space?) I have never tried, because again, no idea what ship to use. Scared to blow up my 1b Praxisā€¦

• Having a wormhole would be nice, but wouldnā€™t I need a small station there or something? Can someone not just blow that up then? Guess that is what you mean with holding a Citadelā€¦ And why would I need another character for that?

• About joining a corporationā€¦ I donā€™t like the things that come with that. Some duties to show up here and there, use voice chat, take part in some activitiesā€¦ Feels like a job :smiley: Naaaah, Iā€™d rather stay alone then.

@Charles_Dupont_II
You mean I should buy a Kikimora hull and try selling it on the Hypernet? I browsed the Hypernet some time ago and thought it was some lottery gameā€¦ And with people spamming Local all the timeā€¦ Who in the right mind is buying those spots then when not advertised? But I will check again!

@Terrus_Askiras
About your question: It is just that I cannot come up with a fit for things. Example: I did some triglavian hunting by accident with my Praxis (see another post here) and it was quite fun, but barely survived in the Praxis. But I cannot find or fit a ship that will do this easily. Same with triglavian space, donā€™t dare go there because I have not enough ISK to lose some 1 or even 2b ship for fun.
You can say the same about all the other combat sites or incursions, be it in WH or HighSec, I have no clue what I need to do them solo. EVe Workbench helped me once, I found that Praxis fit there, bought it and was running some Triglavian stuff back in 2019 (I think it was Triglavian, cannot remember). I left the game for a couple of years and came back in december, ran the Winter Nexus with that same Praxis very well.

• LV4 blitz: Not possible with the Praxis I think. Plus, I somehow like to ā€œclean upā€ behind me. Salvage etcā€¦ Again, no clue what I need to survive the pirate combat sites or even escalations.

-I use the Praxis because I found it on Eve Workbench and it did what I wanted to do so far :smiley: But the Winter Nexus is over and it feels clumsy and slow and LV4 missions take ā€œforeverā€ because low DPS. I talked to a Golem guy and Pyfa shows reasonable DPS with torpedos or cruise missiles, so I started training to fly Golem, but there are many weeks left for that.

Thanks @Sara_Seraph , will check out that channel!

1 Like

If you are only getting 400 DPS, would you mind posting your Praxis fit?

You are right. Itā€™s a scam.

Feel free to create some if you want to try and scam people.

Blitzing is a mentality : grab the money and leave.
Donā€™t waste your time on maginot line, salvaging crap.

HS (up to den) can be done in cheap fits, like cruisers. Depending on the sites you may downgrade to be faster at shoot. If you exclude the dens you can perform well with a kiting destroyer.
Escalations on the other hand ā€¦ well DED1 and 2 are frigate and Ds limited, ded3 are Cr, ded4 are BC, and ded5 are BS - limited. Depending on the empire you run the anoms in, you will have completely different escalation, for example blood IIRC canā€™t escalate over DED3 so you need a cruiser or smaller. Different ded sites have different completion times, reward, itā€™s a bit complex.

This is the one I found a couple of years ago for the (now I rembered!) Emerging Conduits.
It used to work well for the Winter Nexus as well.
With my current character it gives me 390 DPS (Faction missiles) reload time calculated in:

[Praxis, Simulated Praxis Fitting]
Dread Guristas Co-Processor
Ballistic Control System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Missile Guidance Computer II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Copasetic Compact Shield Boost Amplifier
Copasetic Compact Shield Boost Amplifier
Pith X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

ā€˜Arbalestā€™ Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher I
Auto Targeting System II

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Republic Fleet Berserker x1
Salvage Drone I x5
Federation Navy Ogre x4

Missile Range Script x1
Nova Heavy Missile x9574
Mobile Tractor Unit x1

@stefnia_Freir

Everybody is telling me things like ā€œHS (up to den) can be done in cheap fits, like cruisers. [ā€¦]ā€ or this hull or that hull, but never post fits that I can use :smiley: I guess it is just too complex to recommend a certain fitting, especially with a somewhat chaotically skilled character like mine. I focused on PI a lot, then switched to exploring etc etc.

Alright, here is a Praxis fit that I threw together.

[Praxis, Mid Skill MJD Praxis]
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Co-Processor II

Large Micro Jump Drive
Gist X-Type Large Shield Booster
Sensor Booster II
Missile Guidance Computer II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

Drone Link Augmentor II
'Arbalest' Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher I

Large Hydraulic Bay Thrusters II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Republic Fleet Warrior x5
Caldari Navy Hornet x5
Caldari Navy Vespa x5
Salvage Drone I x5
Caldari Navy Warden x4

Targeting Range Script x1
Missile Range Script x2
Nova Heavy Missile x9718
Mobile Tractor Unit x1

This fit has less tank than the one you posted but that shouldnā€™t be a problem as this fit is designed to align away from the mission rats and activate the Micro Jump Drive to teleport 100 km away from them and snipe them with missiles and sentry drones as they slowly burn towards you.

This fit with good skills does about 1,000 dps combining the missiles and warden sentries. The missiles can hit out to ~92 km. Use light drones to kill any frigs and dessies that get too close. Drones can be upgraded to Tech II if/when you get the skills.

If you upgrade the BCUs to faction, you can replace the meta missile launchers with T2 when you acquire the skills and will result in a significant DPS increase of about 400 DPS with fury missiles.

Rat the belts? in null? to earn isks?
are you serious?

I was also a Solo Player, but at some point I felt the need to join a corp. Give it a chance, you will learn a lot more, I did, what I learn since, is another level and if you enter the right one (there are many) most of your time you will be able to continue as a Solo Player, because the right corporation will give you the freedom to do so and when you feel like playing with your corp and you will learn a lot.

1 Like

Ask yourself: was it fun or was it annoying to check the market for lucrative products. The amount of fun per time is the aspect you should judge if ā€œsomething is or isnā€™t for meā€. If it isnā€™t fun for you to check price curves and trade volumina or compare prices at different market hubs, yes then it isnā€™t for you. If it is fun but you simply failed to make profits, then you only need to get better at it.

Same with Production or Invention or any other career the game offers. If you donā€™t enjoy the activity, donā€™t do it.

To your other points: Your profits rise and fall with the amount of knowledge and skill you develop specializing in that activity. Obviously your profits currently are low, because you simply lack knowledge and skill. This means you have huge room for improvement, but it also means you have to learn. There are no ā€œsimple solutionsā€ people can just ā€œgive youā€, because you most likely would not be able to use fittings you donā€™t understand how and why they work in environments you donā€™t know how to deal with diffent situations. I could give you a Fitting for my Abyssal ship that prints me 350M/hour easily and which I have never lost even through hundreds or thousand runs. And you would probably lose exact this fit within an hour.

Donā€™t be so afraid, there are lots of Corps out there that offer training, guides and - most important - joint operations where you can do stuff together with veterans and learn. Many donā€™t have more requirements than just ā€œbe a nice guy and log in every now and thenā€. I play this game for like 15 years and have newbies seen come and go, trust me: Playing EVE ā€œsoloā€ is the worst decision you can ever make. You will miss 95% of what makes EVE great. I really love this game but if you are afraid of establishing relations to other people, donā€™t waste your time here, you will get frustrated and quit at some point. Find a corp, make some friends, doesnā€™t even need to be the biggest or the best one. A better advice you wonā€™t get, ever.

I watched a couple of Ozā€™s videos about trading, itā€™s very interesting!
But after a couple of trades I wonder if there is some kind of automation going on by people.
They outbid/undercut SO fast, interesting. This is triggering the IT guy in me :smiley:
I can see a script running somewhere there in the background scanning and updating stuffā€¦

@Sarah_Olson
I actually have the skills for T2 missile launchers but for some reason got worse DPS with them.
I am completely puzzled by the mechanics hereā€¦

I met someone online in 2019 and it was fun here and there, but I am a loner :wink:

1 Like

No, itā€™s just that doing it yourself would take less time than asking it.

you may take what this guy says regarding ā€œcourteousā€ with a grain of salt.

Also use a regular coercer.

I work the deals the online store puts up to have sub covered cheaper.

and then see what isk comes in after and tack on to that. It lets me play for actual fun knowing the Omega is covered.

I can do solo not very isk efficient gameplay that I jsut find fun/interesting. or I can scan deals and say what the hellā€¦lets get a new toy. toys that I donā€™t need to make return on investment right away. Hellā€¦if at all.

1 Like

Having thought about this during the night, I guess it makes no sense to ā€œplay for ISKā€, when (real) money is actually not the problem. What @Hyrja and @Syzygium said is true. Why bother making ISK in hours if you have enough cash at hand to get some PLEX? It is easier to put in an extra hour of work to get enough PLEX that gets you more ISK than you would have made grinding the game during that timeā€¦

That leads me back to my original problem on how to learn what ships to get/use for certain problems. But without gooing into a corp (still donā€™t want to, sorry) I can just try to learn. Watch videos. Ask.

Itā€™s the core game loop of Eve:

1. Research & Plan
  2. Prepare
  3. Execute
  4. Succeed until you Eventually Fail
  5. Reflect and Learn from failure
  6. Go to step 1

Being a part of a group and having friends helps smooth these steps out to not be so bumpy.