Why abyssal space needs disconnect protection

…and I already explained the fix.

It would punish people who are starting sites less than 20 minutes before downtime. That group of players only exists in your mind. Players do not do this unless it’s a mistake. The mistake is also avoidable. Connection issues are not avoidable. So yes, my idea is an improvement.

You would lose your ship anyway. It’s extremely rare that a disconnect lasts for more than a few minutes, and it’s still a better solution than everyone who disconnects any time will lose their ship.

It reduces the amount of ships lost due to connection issues. It does not move the problem elsewhere. The problem is overall reduced. You are not in favour of it because it doesn’t affect you.

Only dangerous because people refuse to think about what is being said. Trying to argue that legitimate issues with the game should not be fixed because EVE is perceived by players like yourself to be punishing and unfair is a clown argument I am sorry to say.

1 Like

Oh sorry I didnt realise this was “make up what I want to argue with and pass it off as what the other person said” day

Now THAT would be fair, I agree.

CCP, do that.

Reported. Fake quote that I did not make.

Which is no different to what you claimed I said?

Fairs fair

Great idea, no reason to not have that.

1 Like

There’s plenty of places where that’s not an option. Hell, even in the states, ISP options are extremely limited thanks to regional monopolies.

Regardless, losing ships to DC’s sucks. So, I can sympathize with OP, and wonder if there is a better solution.

2 Likes

Lost 2.5B HAC in first week due to major game glitches.

Haven’t touched Abyssals since, and never will ever again.

CCP told me to eat sH*t basically in response to my ticket.

4 Likes

Yeah, it really does suck for that to happen. It’s a shame because abyssal’s are a lot of fun too.

1 Like

When in eve always use protection otherwise you may end up with something you don’t want.

2 Likes

Yeah, Adam found that out. Oldest lesson in the book.

1 Like

Doesn’t EVE disconnect you purpsosefully on random every now and then anyway? I’ve frequently lost connection to the game server, including in the abyss, while the connection to the chat server was fully functional, e.g. i reallized i was disconnected over not being able to request game information via the starmap or turn on/off modules, target things, and so on, but could still chat with fleet or corpmates (have an alt and it was receiving the chat messages). The game uses a different connection to the chat then to the game server, but being able to use the chat outrules a connection issue.

I had been having the impression that purposefully dropping clients at random was the EVE way of handling cloaky campers these days …

I have heard chat and game use different servers, so I would assume you could be dropped from one and not the other. In regards to cloaky camping, I think if you are AFK cloaked in space, after an hour or so you automatically decloak and start flying in a straight line. It has happened to me a few times on my scout alt.

Geez how many threads need to come up for these.

Get better internet. Abyssal sites are high risk high reward. CCP should not be balancing content around people with crappy internet connections.

The reality is that there are many online games that don’t mix well with unstable internet.

Sorry but that argument is absolutely terrible. Internet quality is entirely governed by your geographical location. Your suggestion is basically the same as saying “move house if you want to play abyssal sites”.

As I said earlier, offering disconnect protection to abyssal runners has nothing whatsoever to do with balancing content. No advantage can be gained from disconnect protection in abyssal sites.

The risks and rewards should be confined to the game. You have just said “CCP should not be balancing content around people with crappy internet connections”, but your assumption that disconnects are somehow already factored into the risk and reward of abyssal’s is completely hypocritical of you to say as that would mean that the content is balanced around people with crappy internet connections - the very thing you said you did not want them to do.

Please do not bring your personal grievance with abyssal’s into the thread. I’m quite tired of listening to players like you who feel the need to whine and moan about any suggestion which might result in a player not unfairly losing assets. I wouldn’t mind if you had a good counter-argument, but your counter-argument was low IQ drivel quite frankly. Keep it to yourself because nobody else is interested.

1 Like

Except that it isn’t. For example EVE has many options for PVE activities, of which abyssal sites are just one. All have different risks and rewards. Having a stable internet connection is a factor in those.

Another example is marauders. In every other aspect if you DC in say a mission, you warp off. Unless you are in a marauder in bastion mode. I have had times years ago that my internet was being less stable. As a result I ran missions in something other than a marauder in case i lost connection.

Now if abyssal sites were the only option it would be a different situation. In this case there are other options for those who, for whatever reason, are unable to maintain a solid connection.

I’m sorry you have a crappy connection to EVE. Overall, given the number of active connections to EVE you are likely in the minority. It isn’t CCP"s job to cater content around the minority of players who cannot maintain a solid connection to the server.

Disconnect protection should exist in every game whenever it cannot be abused for a player’s benefit. Do you disagree with that? Disconnect protection in abyssal sites does not provide any benefit to the player apart from not losing an incredibly expensive ship to a completely unpredictable disconnect.

This does not mean disconnect protection in abyssal’s is a bad idea. I understand that disconnects are a part of online games, but I also understand that the issue should be mitigated where it can.

Sure, the other option is I can quit the game since I can’t play the content that I want to play in the game. I’m not obliged to find other content to do thank you.

Well, it is since I am spending money to play their product. It is their job to provide a good service. I want them to improve the service by fixing a very legitimate issue. Maybe I am in the minority, but that doesn’t mean I should always be ignored does it.

There are entire games I’ve bought that I cannot really play anymore because they require more dedicated play time than I have these days. It makes me sad on one hand, but it is not the games fault that my situation has changed over the years.

Your unstable connection to the EVE servers is not CCP’s fault. They can only control their servers and their connection. They can only make that as stable as possible.

What has that got to do with anything.

Seriously, what are you talking about. Just stop.

It has to do with the fact that like abyssal sites, there are entire games that are designed around a certain playstyle, or connection stability. I could whine that those games should change to cater to the “casual gamer” but that isn’t their design. Similarily you can try to argue that abyssal sites should cater to those who have unstable internet connections. CCP decided to make content that is high risk. It also needs a stable connection to run effectively. It isn’t for everyone. Nobody is making you do that content. And that is OK.

Obviously something that you cannot comprehend, as you are so set in your ways you have lost all objectivity. But that is ok. We can agree to disagree.

Fly safe.