Why abyssal space needs disconnect protection

CCP designed abyssal sites with the intention for players to play it. If players cannot play it because of X issue, then that is something that CCP should think about fixing. It has nothing to do with game design.

An incredibly delusional thing to say.

1 Like

IIRC, the reason there is no DC protection because what would stop you from pulling the plug to prevent yourself from losing your ship?? Leave it alone.

DC protection wouldn’t prevent you from losing your ship. When you DC, you reconnect back into the abyssal site if you haven’t been killed. All my idea does is essentially pause the game during a disconnect. You would still have to finish the site to survive.

1 Like

Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

No support.

The advantage of stalling the abyssal dungeon at disconnect is that your scout/alt can tell you exactly when you need to temporarily ‘disconnect’ to avoid the enemy ships waiting at your trace.

Abyssal protection is therefore easily abused to massively reduce the risk of dying in PvP upon completion.

P.S.: Do lower tiers in a cheaper fit if your internet is unreliable.

3 Likes

Well when I run two accounts, one may disconnect but not the other so that suggests it isn’t my internet, no?

There should be an abyssal pause of say 5 mins so that if you disconnect, the timer and everything stops and you have enough time to reconnect, you don’t gain anything as an exploit, but get’s rid of the unfairness of losing a valuable ship through no fault of your own.

Not necessarily.

So could we pause the NPCs (and shield regen) and let the timer keep going? It would be slightly better than certain death.

I agree that pausing the npcs is a better idea than pausing the timer.

Pausing the timer on disconnect would allow abyssal ships to completely avoid pvp dangers upon returning, so that’s a no-go.

Pausing npcs and damage has no effect on anyone but the person inside the abyssal site, so that’s a possible solution.

But is it enough?

Pausing npcs on disconnect would be completely new for the game, but it won’t do much when the majority of players still dies upon returning because they really needed those 2 extra minutes to finish the site. It may be mostly wasted development time for a complex solution that only saves for example one out of five disconnects in the abyss. I don’t have the right numbers, but it could be that such a complex change barely saves ships.

I’m not sure if there is a good solution for this, from CCPs side.

For players there is a solution: take your disconnect chance into account for the profitability calculations. Maybe bling a little less or do lower tiers.

How would this work for the multiplayer Abyssal pockets? If one of the three frigates DCs, is everyone suspended until the DC’d party reconnects? Do they get frozen individually, with the remaining PCs and NPCs proceeding unaltered?

I guess npc freezing should only happen when solo.

In a multi ship setting two of the three players would rather keep fighting instead of watching the clock tick down while they are frozen and waiting for their fleet member to come back, I guess.

And you would really have to trust not only yourself but also your fleet members if they could freeze-kill your blinged frigate this way. No more dragging newbies along in a site you can solo.

Freeze should only happen solo. And even then I doubt it will be effective in saving lives from disconnects…

1 Like

What we need to fix abyssal farming is to do away with fixed and have unannounced, staggered downtimes.

There is nothing needed to fix abyssal farming other than a piece of courage and the will to sacrifice some ships and time in exchange of an expensive killmail. Cause a farmer’s 10B blingy droneboat evaporates before a dozen BCs and some tackle with instalock waiting for him to return from the abyss. You’ll get concorded, but you got an expensive killmail.

And you have a very high probability for content: The farmer either dies in the abyss or dies to you, after no more then 20 minutes you will know. How long can you camp a gate or wormhole without anyone passing through it?

Random downtimes will screw the day for everyone - not just the abyss runners… while saving alot of players - and structures - that were meant to get wrecked.

You can already avoid PVP by just going into another site immediately. You could also set a maximum limit on the amount of time the site is paused, say 10 minutes, and a 30 minutes time bank or something which resets every day. That way, the vast majority of disconnects would be reconnected in that time and unaffected. Only severe outages would not benefit from the protection.

Since these threads always seem to go in waves, you might just want to head over to this one. A bit more useful as there is actual feedback from someone on the CSM

2 Likes

You can’t avoid PvP if the people waiting for you at the exit are smart enough to plant a mobile depot or other anchorable there. You cannot enter another site right next to an anchorable.

Your disconnect protection would allow the player in the PvE zone to waste the time of PvP players waiting on your trace for you to return to the universe. There is a reason that these traces are visible and that you are vulnerable then, because this is the only pvp opportunity of this otherwise pure pve activity. Prolonging that wait time of 20 minutes by another 10 minutes is just wasting people’s time.

Make it 1 or 2 minutes at most and you’ll have your extra time to finish the site, without making ‘disconnects’ the recommended action to avoid pvp.

People sit on gate camps for hours with no guarantee of any kill. I don’t think an extra 10 minutes for a guaranteed kill is going to bother anyone. That’s also assuming the player has scouted you, and has only just started the site. The time you would have to wait is less if either of those things are not true. DC protection would also result in more players running sites, so there would be more for you to kill, negating the downside of waiting a bit longer for your kill.

Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.

1 Like

You could say the same about this topic. At least unless you can show that the disconnect issue is such a large issue that it is affecting the vast majority of abyssal runners. My guess is that the percentage of those with bad disconnect problems is relatively small.

2 Likes

This thread is full of arguing but there’s a pretty good solution out there that CCP has simply decided not to implement for whatever reasons. If CCP were to attempt to fix the problem, heres what they should do

Note: This solution assumes CCP is capable of coding this, which might not be the case due to technical problems or CCP’s own track record of fairly often having bugs in their releases. Also, this solution only applies to solo cruiser abyssals. Frigate and destroyer abyssals will need more thought put into them because of the fact multiple players may be in the room instead of just one player.

When a player gets disconnected from the server for any reason while inside the abyss, the site effectively pauses. This doesn’t even have to involve pausing the site timer, simply setting all ships to 0m/s and stopping all outgoing DPS (from both the player, their missiles/drones, and NPCs plus their missiles and drones). In my experience and from what I’ve heard happen, by far the most common cause of death after DCing is flying out of the arena into the death boundary, or flying off in another direction and losing transversal against NPCs where you need to maintain transversal to tank them.

From a game mechanics standpoint, I believe the easiest way to fix this would be set every entity (NPC, player, and object like drones, missiles, or loot cans) in the room to 0m/s and depending on which is easier, either stop all shooting or set every entity’s resists to 99.9% or something to make the damage practically 0. Both of these situations would of course stop the instant the player logs back in, and normal resists or shooting, plus normal movement, would resume.

This addresses every problem I have seen used as a reason not to implement an abyssal disconnect fix. You can’t save yourself from dying if you were already going to die, because the room will resume as soon as you log back in, and if you don’t log back in then the timer will be expired when you come back and you’ll die, because the site timer kept ticking.

Because the timer keeps ticking, this doesn’t prevent you from dying to gankers waiting on the trace, because they don’t have to wait any longer than they otherwise would have, so you still have to either come out in a timely manner or die inside the abyss to the timer.

It doesn’t prevent you from dying to the timer in a genuine DC and if you’re really tight on time, but that’s not how most DC’s kill people. It’s almost always the fact that your ship is still flying but you have no input for a minute or 2, which is enough to send you to the boundary or far away from wherever you were if you were manual piloting.

Feel free to let me know if I’ve missed anything that needs consideration regarding ways this mechanic could be exploited for an advantage by the player.

The entire thread which is discussing basically something like this and listing all the exploits.

1 Like