Hi everyone. I would like to know if I am the only one disappointed with big ships being more limited than small ones.
I like Eve, and the possibilities it offers. I like it so much it is the only game I pay money every month to play it.
But I do have one deception. My mind is struggling to understand why the bigger the ship and the bigger the weapons, more limited it feels. There is no fun in flying a big ship, except being able to destroy other big ships or structures, but that is unlikely to happen because there are many small ships gangs waiting in every system, and right now big vs small is bad, when it shouldn’t.
Why the only improvement in bigger weapons is the damage, while all the rest of the stats are worse?
Why the only gain in big ships is shield, armor and and hull while all the rest of the stats are worse?
Right now, Eve is about using the right type of ship and weapon against the right type of enemy, which sounds good, but it has a big limitation. And leaving aside the different ammunition type (which is good), basically there are 2 approaches:
- choosing small vs small, medium vs medium, and big vs big
- form a fleet and go many vs one, or many vs many.
- in very rare occasions u can bring big vs medium, but it will normally slow down the fleet and makes it a bad decision (which should not be this way)
And about Many vs Many fights, they usually end up in under 10 minutes, no matter how many are involved, and with no real fight, only decided by the numbers. There is no possible strategy, because of damage application being so limited. So where is the fun in no fight?
Can anyone see the limitations at this point? Big ships are only used against big targets. Small ships are used for mostly everything.
Lets go point by point:
1. Worse targeting in big ships?? How can that be possible? Its bigger, so it has more space, so it has more antennas. How can a small ship target faster than a bigger ship?? Is unreal !! The big ship can dedicate more space to accommodate better tracking and targeting.
2. Big ships are all fat and lazy ?? I understand that smaller ship are more agile, accelerate faster, but it doesn’t mean all big ships should be fat, and lazy. Big ships can accommodate more engine, and more thrust than smaller ships, which means that bigger ships should be able to reach higher speeds than smaller ships. A smaller ship should not be able to outrun a bigger ship in straight line, of course being more agile, the smaller ship can jump to a safe spot. Big shouldn’t mean less top speed, nor longer warp out timings.
3. Big ship can be trapped by 1 small ship ?? Really? even if the small ship manages to disrupt / scramble, how can it have the power or the mass to stop a bigger ship? So a 7M isk can ruin the life of a 1B isk ship. Is so irrational. The big ship favored by the difference in mass and engine power should drag the small ship with it, even into warp. Small ships should not be so eager to tackle a big ship, knowing it will be impossible to get hit, and simply wait for reinforcements. It is not real. Maybe u bring 30 ship of 7M value to tackle a 1B ship and u can stop that big ship from warping away. Is like a monkey trying to stop a elephant. In Eve even the most untalented monkey will make the elephant life miserable.
4. Bigger weapons are worse vs small ship ?? Why in Eve missile explosions expand slower the bigger the missile is? The bigger the warhead, the slower its explosion is? It is so hard to understand that, and is so so disappointing. And for the turrets, why a big turret looses tracking, some maybe could be that way, but not all. A mechanized turret should not necessarily be slower just because is bigger, it could even be faster at tracking than smaller ones. But in Eve all turrets seem to be moved by a fat lazy cow, or is impossible to understand why bigger loose tracking.
So, my point. One player can not get in his big ship and go hunt 10-20-30 smaller ships by his own. Eve seems so bounded to 1 vs 1, or Many vs 1, or Many vs Many, but never 1 vs Many. And this makes Eve terribly limited, in terms of strategies, and game play.
Ofc one can get in a dread and hold a fight against 60-100 players without loosing. But it will never be a real fight. Because the dread can only destroy some of the bigger ships, but will be wasting ammunition against smaller ones. And no matter what u do is very unlikely to get away from that without requesting a form up, to destroy those small ships that should never stand a chance.
I live in null sec and i see a gank every 5-10 minutes. We form up and try get em. We sometimes win and sometimes loose. I am not against ganking, is the fun action part of Eve.
I simply feel that big ships and weapons are punished, almost like someone is afraid of unleashing is potential.
So, i repeat my disappointing question:
Should bigger be worse against smaller?
If a change is made, and bigger can take a stand against smaller:
Will this make it harder for new players? New players start in high sec, so not at all. It will only mean that small ships will stop being a pain in the ass for bigger ships.
Will this enforce rich players? Only if there would be only one person or one group holding all the isk in Eve.
Would this destabilize the game play? Ofc it will. The hole concept of having to pick the correct weapon against the correct target LIMITATION will disappear. But big fights will be a lot less needed, and small engagements across multiple locations can be a real strategy.
Eve is a multiplayer environment, but a player should be able to choose is ways to interact with the rest. And in Eve I feel forced to form groups to gank smaller groups, and solo players. And as a solo player I can’t take big fights, with bigger ships, simply because i target slower, my turrets will miss smaller targets, my missiles will do less damage, so is harder to kill smaller ships, which is totally different in real life.
Wars in Eve don’t follow a rational reasoning, they tend to be in large groups, and groups that quickly escalate to bigger and bigger, because of the limitations that big ships have. In real world, fights are scattered around many locations, in smaller groups, because one person can do a lot of damage to big groups. This will never happen in actual Eve, and only one reasoning is possible: if many small, easy to replace ships, can melt dreads, with very little loses, FCs will always call for high numbers. Instead, if 1 dread could take a fight against small ships, things wouldn’t escalate in high numbers, but in the quality of it. And players only able to fly small ships would take other roles.
Eve will grow up in numbers (unless a more close to logic game appears and takes Eve place) and so will the wars get bigger, and no server will be able to escalate fast enough to accommodate current fight conditions, simply because big cant take small.
Opinions, ideas and straight yes / no answers are appreciated. Not looking for lessons or advice in this topic.
Please don’t spam the topic writing about how good you are hunting solo, or how good you and your mates are at ganking others. Nobody cares about ego.
Remember the question:
Should bigger be worse in Eve?
Should bigger ships have worse tracking, targeting, top speed?
Should bigger weapons be progressively worse against smaller targets, when all logic says is has no sense?