Why Does Botting Exist?

What does this means?

That’s just plain wrong. You’re making the assumption of that the bots need local to operate, which is not true. It’s one of those nonsensical statements that the “remove local” supporters have been throwing around to support their argument, but that everybody who knows development sees as false.

Even people like me, who don’t do bot development, or even AI development in any real capacity, can think of ways to adapt bots to work without local. People who actually know those fields will have no trouble with it.

It’s also worth pointing out that CCP - a group of developers - who are ultimately responsible for deciding any changes, will know better than anybody how false this argument is. So it kind of baffles me why people are continually arguing it. You may be able to fool non-technical people who support your arguments from the start, but none of the people who’s opinions actually matter will be fooled by it.

If you want local removed I suggest you focus on other arguments, because this one isn’t going to help your case.

Recent evidence strongly suggests that bots don’t do well without local.
While if local didn’t exist bot makers would use other mechanics like deep scan that becomes much harder to tell friend from foe.
Which means a lot of the less sophisticated bots would become obsolete, and their users would have to go legit.
Additionally a bot always mushing deepscan at perfect intervals is likely to flag much easier than a bot that just reads local because it’s a lot more data for ccp to read.

It’s certainly not a proven fact, but in this line of thing you’ll never get those on behavioural prediction. But there is evidence and logic to support it.

They don’t do well without local now, because they are all coded assuming they can rely on local. If you remove that precondition, they will be adjusted accordingly. - You never code something to be more complex than it has to be.

I literally covered that in my post.
Go read it. Then explain how you are reliably detecting foes without local and without false positives from your own blues. As a bot who isn’t asking questions on voice comms.

I really need to go write a blog post about this, or something. I keep having to explain this same thing over and over again.

Here’s one of the threads I went over this in detail. Good place to start.

Doesn’t account for people with covert cloaks, cynos in and then standard cloaking, down times, As you listed doesn’t cover wormholes.
Oh, and now you are paying for an omega account per gate since alphas don’t have cloaks.

So like I said, show me a reliable method.

You’re not seriously expecting me to provide a fully detailed “how to make a functional bot” essay on the forums? Because, I really don’t want to do that. - The core of this is: you are describing basic logic puzzles, and developers excel at solving those, and making programs that exploit those solutions.

Without local things would get a little more dangerous for bots, for sure, but bot makers don’t give a flying fart about ship losses, and will happily throw them at you en masse to keep the ISK flowing. They’d keep on tweaking their tactics, update their bots, and just keep on going.

Let me put it another way as well. How much of your time would you be willing to spend swatting botting VNIs out of the skies, knowing full well that nobody cares and you aren’t actually preventing the bots from making ISK? You’re literally competing against a computer program, that doesn’t get salty, that doesn’t get tired, and that doesn’t care one bit about what you are doing. They’d basically just be factoring our efforts into their ISK/hr calculations, and modifying their methods to maximize their ISK despite what we are doing.

I mean, if they got an army of 50 VNI bots out, each costing 100m, and making 60m/hr. If you manage to kill on average 1 VNI per hour from that pool, that’s 100m/hr they have to make up to cover your efforts. Which is literally just adding 2 more VNIs.

Botting exists because people make money from RMT. Remember that most of these botting companies don’t operate in Europe or the USA, they operate from countries with a median income far lower, so botting becomes a lucrative job.

The second reason botting exists is because the game has too many activities that don’t require actual thought. Mining, ratting, FW plexing and courier missions are all trivial to automate. Honestly courier missions shouldn’t even exist and defensive FW plexing shouldn’t exist either.

The third reason is that with free to play alpha accounts the investment cost of a bot account have dropped to virtually zero.

The fourth reason is that CCP slashed most of the team responsible for dealing with botting.

2 Likes

It means that brexit will be harmful to Great Britan,they KNOW it but do it anyways…simply because it was emotionally decided by misinformed people…

Trump is another example…the usa is actually paying the price…
Great Britan will pay the price in the future…

It would be interesting to know if any sort of active gameplay-mechanic for mining could be implemented without the need for recoding the whole game.

Are you British?

By the sounds no completely going off topic

1 Like

Maybe, but EU is harmful too, EU is a nightmare to my country’s budget, it’s liberal regulations have negative influences. For example, before EU it was strictly prohibited for a french company to produce on foreign soil and import back in France. Now they can and they are closing plants. Closing plants harms the small businesses that were providing services in the area around the plants. My neighbor has closed his transport company due to Eastern Europe competition. The wages were too high, only matching the cost of living, and he couldn’t lower his costs so he had to lay off 25 people. So F**K EU.

Economically?

1 Like

I know it’s your pet peve.

True. I believe the fw bots use d-scan.

…and I’m pretty sure we shouldn’t be talking about brexit. RL life politics and all. Especially a topic as controversial as brexit.

1 Like

Why Does Botting Exist?

Because humans… that’s why.

–Knowing Gadget

Why do people do this or that? because they can.

Receive 10 very lengthy, well thought out responses clearly dictating why your post is wrong.

Ignore it all and pick a single sentence regarding a side note and respond to that instead.

Ah, never change dryson bennington.

Btw you’re still a shareholder of code. Might want to clear that up with james315.

Was going to post how stupid this is, but then I saw Dryson did it.

No just informed…