Why does trade have to cough up all the isk sinks?

I’m painfully new, but I noticed there’s no fees for storing items in station.

Would that kind of thing play all merry Hell with things?

There are many things you could slap a fee on, the main question is “what side effects would this have on game play?”

Charging fees for items in station would lead to people trashing cheap items quickly for the minerals, or even jettisoning them before entering station, or other odd behaviours. It wouldn’t lead to “making interesting choices”, it would simply be an annoying inconvenience.

On the other hand, you could have each station charge a daily ISK fee based on the total estimated value of all items you have stored in it. This would in effect equal a ‘ship and inventory maintenance fee’. The bigger and more expensive your ships, and the more value your inventory, the more you pay. In some ways this would be a ‘balanced’ fee because it would hit hardest those who obviously have the resources to pay the most. But while it would sink some ISK, it would also simply become another annoyance that means you have to grind even more and longer.

Ideally you want to tune your ISK sinks and faucets two ways: Faucets so the game isn’t drenched in ISK (which is the current problem), and sinks so they are reasonably tied to activities such that the activity is still profitable and desirable, but that people who make the absolute most profit also pay the highest fees.

1 Like

Anyway just vastly increase manufacturing fees and drop broker fees and sales tax.

Something that doesn’t produce any value like the mere exchange of existing goods shouldn’t be the main taxable event.

Lol, you’ll make another thread in 2 months asking “Why do manufacturers have to cough up all the isk sinks?”

How about nah.

3 Likes

“Something that doesn’t do anything useful except to put ISK in the pockets of players who are barely interacting with the rest of the game should be the main taxable event.”

(FTFY)

1 Like

Something that doesn’t do anything useful except to put ISK in the pockets of players who are barely interacting with the rest of the game should be the main taxable event.”

Ah, so you mean ratting and mission running?

Also if you think you would have the same goods available at good prices without traders you are just ignorant.

You completely miss the point.

Not saying trade is bad or good. Not saying traders shouldn’t be trading or earning profit from it. Just pointing out that if your activity consists of essentially shuffling items from lower prices to higher prices and pocketing the ISK difference, and if this is one of the more profitable activities in EVE, then it simply makes sense for CCP to place an ISK sink on that process.

It’s far more beneficial to have ISK sinks on trading activity than on production or resource acquisition, since that would actually limit the availability of items required to play the game.

1 Like

since that would actually limit the availability of items required to play the game .

Literally every sink does this, that’s the entire point.

Please explain how a middle-man skimming profit off the margins provides “good prices.”

Because by definition they put up a buy order that was higher than the next highest buy order and a sell order that was cheaper than the next cheapest sell order?

Also margin trading isn’t the only type of trading.

So if every step of buying and selling a good incurs transaction taxes, would you say that middle-men such as traders incurring additional taxes into their profit scheme and then passing those costs onto the end consumer makes prices better or worse?

Maybe he doesn’t want line goons/test pockets with isk.

You really don’t understand how margin trading works? Without margin traders buy orders and sell orders grow apart and you get bad deals when buying from sell orders and bad deals when selling to buy orders. Everyone would have to babysit their own buy and sell orders for ages to get decent prices, which is highly impractical if you go around shopping to fit a ship.

I get how it works. I’ve done some form of trading as long as I’ve played this game but I don’t delude myself into believing I’m providing a valuable service to the community rather than just happily ripping off my customers

This got mentioned by CCP recently.

Nothing you’ve said in this thread gives me the idea that you understand what you’re talking about.

Imagine returning after a few years player that comes to negative wallet…

Traders don’t pay extra taxes and broker fees, the pilots who buy our items bear those extra costs.

1 Like

Holy ■■■■ learn the difference between who bears the burden and who “writes the check”. Economic ignorance like this should burn so much it leaves a scar.

2 Likes

Tax incidence mother f******s…

Learn you it f****s…

■■■■…