Why is life more beautiful in our warmer regions

I would civilize them so much with few solar batteries, wind generators, bicycle generators and laptop with sattelite connection and printer and few boxes of paper sheets!

Whole world knocking to their straw huts! No time to drink! :sunglasses:

1 Like

You really would like to expose them to the internet?, one troll could devastate a whole island. Forget swatting, this could be something more like an air strike, but if you would insist on ā€œcivilizingā€ them i would install some really hard to crack parental controlsā€¦

But they donā€™t speak English, and the Internet doesnā€™t speaks their languageā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

Edit: if thatā€™s Yap Island then thereā€™s exactly 5,130 people in the world who speak their language -as in, just themselves (and not all of the islanders). Other people speak related languages and might be understandable to each other but thatā€™s a second not-so-promising startā€¦

Yap Island? Google says that down there, exposing thighs in public is indecentā€¦ what a promising start! :rofl:

It would after some time, work for them to do. Make those wikipedia articles, learn english, make something with that life you got to open more gates to oportunities! \o/

They could learn how to live a civilized life, with all the law in place too, where network of phones would make reaction of armored police divisions very fast, pacifying the unruly mob. And I would rule them from the top of the highest hill, with benevolence, for those who deserve it.

They could even learn how to play EVE online. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh,oh we could send some poles there, to teach them how to build and also how to properly drink :grin:

1 Like

For them only drinking milk without allowing. They will have to deserve their portion of firewater with hard labor and good behavior. :relieved::ok_hand:

But to be honest I think they would be better on their own instead of being colony of Poland. We cant even keep our own :poop: together here. :joy::partying_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, you nailed it Yiole, thatā€™s Yap island. Exposing thighs is indecent, but exposing breasts isnā€™t. Funny how different people are, depending where they were born.

Errogon Yiole, fereā€™ binaw e Waā€™ab. Fanra be e guu e kalkalean e bikreb, ma fanra be e gu e thuuth e athi bikreb. Gidiiy e ke fas u bithaw e binaw nu faaleng e bithaw. (Thatā€™s the English of the post transliterated into Yapese there, if anyone wants to know how the language sounds. Iā€™m lying, Iā€™m just showing off my Yapese language skills. :slight_smile: I had to cheat and look up vocab for thigh and world. Itā€™s been a couple of decades since Iā€™ve spoken it or heard it, that part of my brain is rusty).

Good thing thread derails and talking about any kind of thing is OK in OOPE.

Search by image - google knows everything :joy:

I have seen the large stones were used as money there, maybe they could make also houses out of something more than palm leaves, so they will have more privacy. :thinking:

We also have fences here. And land ownership.

The tricky part was making sure that it was Yap Island and not some other random island, as the image is widely used as beauty shot for all sorts of stuff in all sorts of languages.

Every square centimeter of land in Yap is owned by someone. If you step off a path, you are trespassing on someoneā€™s land. They may not care, or they may.

Zones of the sea are owned by villages. You canā€™t fish in another villageā€™s zone unless you own land in that village. There was almost a war between two villages when I was there because of guys from one village were fishing in another villageā€™s zone. There was a meeting between all of the grown males of both villages, and everybody brought machetes (but carried in baskets, with their other personal items, to look more peaceful). During the negotiations, an old man from the offending village kind of hypnotized his counterparts from the other side. He spoke in a really low voice, continuously without stopping, kind of like chanting. The old men from other side agreed to just forget about it. Everyone knew chanting guy was a sorceror, so the young guys from the other side said that their old guys were stupid and let themselves get under a black magic spell. Thinking back, it was stupid of me to be at that meeting. As an outsider American aid volunteer, Iā€™d probably have been the first guy to get macheted, if it had gone the other way.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.