Why is my ship leveling out when i stop

there is no horizon in space.
neither is there up or down in space
how do you know it’s not leveling out upside down???
and how do you determine where the level out is in 3 dimensional space… ??
why is my ship slowing down when i deactivate the afterburner??
there is nothing resisting moment in space??
everything else is moving unrestricted in space, and never slowing down without interacting with some other object
why are my missiles flying like they would in a atmosphere?? and not like they would in a vacuum

1 Like

Your ship isn’t actually in space, so real space physics don’t apply. The decisions of CCP way back when they started developing the game provided trade offs between reality and playability.

Over the years, there have been articles written and talks given (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQO0vY8VMk0) that try to anchor some of it in reality, but it really comes down to this being a game and not a simulation.

6 Likes

Because planetary orbits in systems are generally organized like a disc in Eve and supposedly orbit around stars like a tire rim, which generates an artificial x axis around a star which your ship computers automatically use as an up/down reference.

1 Like

It’s a game, not reality. (You can tell by the way we fly space ships at FTL speeds.) As Scipio said, they programmed it a certain way for entertainment purposes. It’s often been pointed out that EVE movement mechanics are much more ‘submarine simulator’ than space flight sim. (Well except for the warping I guess)

For the ‘game logic’ behind it, IIRC, the same warp cores that allow you to hit warp speed when in a ‘warp tunnel’ interact with normal space and normal matter to create ‘drag’ against the warp engine, which ends up working much like air/water drag does.

1 Like

Its all explained in this Fanfest presentation.

2 Likes

Good luck with all that, we would all be happy if we could just get rid of the glare (in the space atmosphere :crazy_face: ) from the local star…

8 Likes

This is not how the game works and is also wrong.

How do ships break and stop flying if theres no thrusters pointing forward?

Its EVE. Come up with your own answer. It would be just as good as anyone else’s…

2 Likes

Who cares

1 Like

what ‘everything else’??? please list some.

Also in answer to your other points, its a game, its designed to be playable, not to represent real space physics.

Heres a secret; you arent directly piloting the ship and what you are seeing is a simulation in your brain of whats happening outside.

1 Like

I read somewhere, a long long time ago, that the game represents a Newtonian particle in a viscous media.

In other-words, a submarine, of sorts.

New Eden space is a non-Newtonian fluid. Short version: spaceships in EVE behave just like submarines because it’s easier to run the physics like that than it is to run an n-body physics model.

the warp core is locking the ship into it’s position creating the drag force - which si also why “maximum velocity” is a thing.

Why can I not define my own orbit axis?

2 Likes

Eve, that well known game of laser firing submarine billiards.
Accept the rules and the universe and relax.

The movement of the spheroid that represents your ship is the only thing that counts. The ship model is then drawn orientated to the vector of that movement. The rotational angle around that is arbitrary, but to ensure that the top of the ship isn’t in the same place as the bottom it does need to be defined and consistent from second to second. There are reasonably easy ways to define such a normal, for example by making it perpendicular to, say, the movement vector and the direction to a celestial. Since each system has a single sun that’s an obvious second reference. I’m not sure if that is what they use, but it would be how I define it since it’s easy quick and consistent.

What is even funnier is that braking is faster in the vertical direction than in the horizontal.

All Pro Nullsec Miners know and use it :slight_smile:

Bc reasons.

1 Like

Yes, actually in the FAKE world of New Eden there is indeed a proper orientation.

Question though… why do you draw the line here and not with ‘sound in space’?