CCP starts "new and highly ambitious MMORPG" // EVE 2 coming?

Given the current state of eve I hope Eve II is being made by entirely new people completely unconnected to the current people within CCP.

Only chance it has.

2 Likes

Serious question, because I really have no clue on this one. Say you were CCP management. Assume you had 10 million U.S. dollars available.

What type of game, what genre, what engine, would you use today, under the current market conditions, to build a product that you hope to create actual profits from? Aside from starting with wiping out the C-level at CCP, what you do, how would you go about creating the next Eve, or WoW, or Minecraft, or whatever?

Very first thing I would do would be to throw up a giant internet pole and basically just ask people what they enjoy most in their MMOā€™s

Ultimately I would steal every decent idea MMOā€™s have done right in the past and further expand upon it via player feedback.

1 Like

First off, I would use part of the 10 million Dollars to come up with a revolutionary concept, hire a small team of highly effective visionaries to create something to show off and then make sure I find investors to get more than that. $10 Million is not enough to design a proper game today and surely not something like EVE2 which would have to be revolutionary.

For the rest, I cannot go into details, unless you hire me :stuck_out_tongue:

By the time this product releases it will be 2022. There wonā€™t be an EVE 1 left to kill off.

3 Likes

Eve 2 is something iv been thinking long!
The game is goodā€¦ but it can be made much better!
2018 babe!

This may be related to Project Foundation. I havenā€™t the slightest clue what it is beyond another mobile IP in development.

3 Likes

Iā€™d make 10 1 million dollar games, the more random and bizarre the better, as long as it stays in budget. Whichever one builds the best community (not most sales, not most pie-in-the-sky, but most active and enduring community) is the one. Add paid tiers on top of the base game so that focus can be pulled from the turds to the good one. Tying it to EVE would be an option, though history suggests it would not be wise.

Soā€¦ corpse dress-up?

Tie it into EVE because it fits, and itā€™s something that can be done with a touchscreen. Also because this topic is undead with no possible hope of going back to being dead and staying that way.

My Eve 2 checklist

1. Donā€™t call it Eve 2, call it Eden or something.

2. Actual orbit mechanics for planets stations ect.

3. many more options for interacting with planets.

4. Donā€™t try to come up with a bunch of crazy new ships/ modules, stick with what we have learned through 15ish years of balancing. Then later test new ā– ā– ā– ā– .

5. Please donā€™t try walking in stations again. No one used it cause it had nothing to do with why they played Eve.

6. At least some attempted at realistic physics.

There are more but these are the absolute must haves.

2 Likes

Blockquote

Soooā€¦ Star Citizen?

Honestly, there is only one thing CCP can do to revive EVE and its not copying star citizen.

Its to go whole hog with changing the way games are monetized. I can go into this, but CCP needs to figure this out for themselves.

no one used WIS CQ because you had 10 feet to walk in, and why did I need to go to cq every time I docked just to get a mission?

6 Likes

Is not a successor to Dust possibly considered a mmo?

2 Likes

profits? mobile gaming. I have no idea why CCP donā€™t build games around its flag product. They created universe with such potential. They donā€™t necessary have to be connected directly to the sandbox, because this would be PITA to do. Every title that will expand EvE universe and potentialy bring new players to sandbox is worth trying. Even chibi style mobile game thatā€™s being developed.

MMO FPS? Very ambitious project with huge potential to be scraped after few years of developing.

Iā€™m really curious what CCP will show on next CSM summit. There is no road map anymore or I donā€™t see anything about it. Transision to citadels seems to be at the end, nothing big incoming. Latest additions didnā€™t introduce anything significant to the game, at least for me. Shake up for hisec is a failure imo. Now there is new game introduced, with nothing significant in mind for EvE?

2 Likes

The strength of Eve and the reason for its longevity is the complex interaction between players in the sandbox. There is no way CCP can port this emergent gameplay to a new game. The political and economic gameplay in Eve is mostly created by the players - not the developers.

That said, Eve has a lot of legacy debt. For the majority of players who do not participate in the metagame the mechanics are stale, there isnā€™t much sense of progression and the sandbox puts new players in competition with veterans. This is OK if the new player finds a supportive community and has lots of time to play but casual players looking to be entertained for a half hour or so will probably move on to other games.

I believe the complex system that has emerged in New Eden is the crown jewel in CCPs portfolio - it is unique in gaming and needs to be nurtured. People need to consume the content provided by the developers for a while before they are drawn into the metagame and this content is very dated - CCP could do worse than focus their attention there.

5 Likes

No. Even Hilmar (CCP CEO) says it makes no sense to make EVE 2, because thats like making Facebook 2.

2 Likes

This. WiS was not used because there was simply nothing to do except looking at your own character in 3D.

3 Likes

Considering what they have just done to the community team, thatā€™s just sickā€¦

2 Likes

Actually a good point. When will Facebook finally die?

They are registering two trademarks, one for mobile devices and handhelds and one for ā€œonline computer gameā€.

What does the ā€œFoundationā€ in its name suggest?

When

1. people are no longer dumb idiots
  2. Something replaces it

So Facebook will die when humanity gets exterminated after having created an ASI in give or take 20 to 40 years.

1 Like