Cloak vs detection

afks

2 Likes

Cloaking is used, among other things, by players to step away from their keyboard when they are deep in hostile space. If they cannot be sure that they are safe, it kinda makes the module pretty worthless for this function.

How can you go for a bio-break while scouting your wormhole chain if someone can probe you out while you are away? How can you disrupt the PvE grinding of your opponent in nullsec if they can probe you out while you are AFK cloaking them to clear local so they are 100% safe? You can’t.

But it is your turn to explain. I see no reason why taking the ability of people to step away from their keyboard is a good idea. Someone shouldn’t be able to force me to undock. Someone shouldn’t be able to force me to login. So why should someone be able to force me to uncloak if I am not interacting with the greater universe? How is the game better for you to have the ability to pull someone who is AFK back into the universe so you can explode them at no risk? They can hurt you, nor are they influencing the shared universe in any way, and as soon as they try, they are vulnerable again. Just shoot them then.

1 Like

@Black_Pedro steping away from the keyboard for like 10 mins won’t mean that they found you, It going to take a long time for them to even to pin point you down.

and sitting in one spot from 10 to 20 mins will still be safe for a t2 cloak or 30+ for for the covert ops cloak.

But stepping away for an hour to server maintenance is just begging you to be killed.

At this very point in time there no way to counter cloaking even if it VERY VERY slow to do so.

and If this keep up, and I seen one user doing this so far, is just making clone after clone after clone and make cloak cyno ready ships and just place them all over the place, Making it even hard to just move round or do anything and he is not afk not at all, when he see a shiny ship that all alone, he will drop on that ship like ants to honey.

And players are starting to bitch about it and it not getting it dealt with, and after so long they are going to stop playing eve and quit it and that means less “money” going to CCP and when it hit critical point, CCP will be force to do something about it or remove it from the game, but by then it’s too late as the damage been done. @CCP_karkur Can you comment on this?

why is this thread not locked yet?

4 Likes

@Lugh_Crow-Slave The reason is that it’s an original idea. and your offering nothing to the thread.

Anyways I’m am pointing out valid points touching on this topic.

The logical fallacies in your arguments make it impossible to have any kind of proper debate on the merits of your op.
Argumentum ad misericordiam, Argumentum ad nauseam, Argumentum ad numerum, Argumentum ad populum to list a few. In proposing an idea the burden of proof is on you. You are not succeeding in ‘selling’ your idea. I don’t see a need for it.

Don’t feel bad, F&I readers rarely agree with a proposal unless it clearly demonstrates a need in the game.

no its not… not even close and it belongs in the afk cloaking thread

2 Likes
1 Like

What if you need to step away for an undetermined period of time? Or you are completely trapped in a system, being hunted but you need to go to work? What, I have to stay at my computer clicking a button every 10 minutes until the next downtime?

A cloak with a timer or vulnerable to probing makes entering hostile space much more dangerous as you are basically committing to play until you can return to safety. It also makes things like keeping an eye on a wormhole or structure much more tedious and risky. All of this is true and will affect the balance of the game, so whatever reason you are providing to change the game better be especially compelling…

And the reason you give is that CCP would make more money. Sigh. You are suppose to be at risk in nullsec. You don’t get to remove the names that scare you from local because you live in the most dangerous space in the game. If you don’t like cloaked campers, cynos, or any of the other business of nullsec, go move back to highsec or into a wormhole. You don’t get to stamp your feet, and whine to CCP developers that the game is too hard and that you will take your money elsewhere unless CCP makes their game easier for you and nullsec even safer. Asking for the rules to be rewritten in your favour for no other reason that you don’t like losing, is incredibly selfish, unsportsmanlike and generally considered poor form.

There probably does exist some change to the game that allows the probing down of cloaked ships, but it isn’t just going to be by just nerfing cloaks into the ground. Whatever changes are made will still keep you at risk to opponents dropping on you while you go about your business in nullsec. And no doubt, you will whine about those changes if they come as well.

Enough of this. Take your self-indulgence to the AFK Cloaking thread where it belongs.

1 Like

Throwing this out there one last time. There is nothing wrong with cloaks as they are right now and if they’re keeping a ship hidden from you, GOOD. That’s the entire point.

4 Likes

the only thing a cloaked neutral stops is bots .
the only player complaining about cloaker is null-sec newbs , who think they should be safe in “their” space .
no-one is quitting over a cloaked pilot in system .
some run back to jita as null-sec is too hard .
cya …

Fine I will just let the thread, die then, But I will say this, Cloaking one day will get out of hand and when it do get out of hand, just think back on this and i will say TOLD YOU SO.

And @Black_Pedro No you did not need to click a button at all, the Cloak will not have a timer on it at all, that you making ■■■■ up and just talking trash, IF you read the post that i made then you will see that i did not touch the cloaking at all but saying that it will taking this amount of time to at least find you, Meaning in this time frame you can have uncloak move to a new safe and recloak, or even better if your in a covert ops cloak then you just move to a new safe spot and making it even harder on the people trying to scan you down, now pipe down and try to even read before you speak, because your just making ■■■■ up to cause ■■■■ in the thread. ninnyhammer.

Translation:

IMA ratting in null and there is an ebil afk (maybe) cloaker and mah currency is gone waaaaaaaah.

Cool, my agent just told me where you rat. I’ll come visit.

P.s. I will still being watching the thread to flag anyone that are not following the guild lines. :slight_smile:

Like the guy above me for making an off topic post.

It’s not off topic tho, because it is what you are trying to change.

How long has it been since cloaking was introduced? 6-7 years? I doubt that it will get out of hand one day.

… been working fine for years but it will suddenly get out of hand?

… you mean like the guidelines against discussion of moderation. Also isn’t this comment off topic

1 Like

OMG, this is so far from an original idea, so far.
I remember responding to posts like this 6 years ago.

Drop Probes, ping… now I know there is a cloaked ship in the system. Active cloaker is now known. Well done you have instantly broken all wormhole space.

Ain’t no guilds here… maybe you were thinking about WOW.

WHY IS THERE ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS

There’s already a wealth of threads open on AFK cloaking open.

This one is being closed.

1 Like