Toxicity in Eve

Orwell’s face must have been very flat.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t even know where to begin, EVE has one of the biggest supportive communities out of any MMO I’ve ever played. This game is literally PvP Online so you should expect certain “roles” to be filled as they are available and encouraged (pirating/extortion/fraud/scams).

That being said, RL threats are not tolerated by any self-respecting EVE player nor CCP, they will lay the almighty ban hammer on any fool who does so. If this has been your experience then please dismiss it as human error. The game is designed to “hurt” when you lose things. You put your time into this to receive rewards and when those rewards are taken it hits harder than most games so understandably emotions run rampant.

This community is full of people who want to “role play” as assholes but in reality EVE is family. B4R is just another point of proof for this. This is by far the only game where you can wage absolute war against someone but when it comes down to RL, support those exact same people from the bottom of your heart.

I’m saddened you’ve had bad experiences within the game but there are many more positive ones awaiting you if you look for them. Respect and get respect.

o7

2 Likes

For every personal experience of someone who claims that they’ve been helped greatly by the Eve community I can post a counterpoint. In my almost 10 years of playing Eve I’ve seen plenty of toxicity in the form of racial slurs, intense personal attacks, homophobia, xenophobia and death threats. I’ve not seen the same level of vitriol in other MMOs I’ve played and I’ve played lots of them over the years. The only thing I’ve seen that even compares is the nastiness of GTA’s in game chat.

2 Likes

Eve is rubber and you are glue. Whatever you throw bounces off of it and sticks to you.

In general I find if I’m respectful, I get treated with respect. If I’m an asshat, I get treated with asshatery. There are also tons of communities within Eve, so I’m sure there are some toxic groups. But I would guess you’ll find nine well mannered groups for every single group of jerks you find.

2 Likes

EvE players are very helpful. I would never have figured Hello Kitty Online was a great game, but I’ll have to check it out since EvE players keep telling me I should be playing it.

5 Likes

Yeah I would play it lol I should check it out sometime too

Sadly I have to admit that there are times where this image fits quite well. :confused:
This is also a reason why I choose to speak English. I found the mindset is rather different - much more open and polite - in international groups than in national ones. (Can obviously only speak for groups talking exclusively German here) Might be because people are more aware of their different backgrounds. Or maybe the ability to speak a foreign language requires even this kind of open mindset, I can’t tell.
At least that’s what it feels like for me.

2 Likes

That I am sorry to say is true. And that’s not just the Hilfe channel, but stretches through the whole german community. The unofficial german channel is a shithole as well, the german forum section can be a very unpleasant place to be and eveger.de has never been anything but that.

But if you have a closer look, those are just very few people, and most of them are trolls,

Of course I can only comment on the german and the international eve communities, and as far as the latter one is concerned I’m with Tipa Riot - if there’s toxicity in this community it typically does not come from the gankers, scammers, extortionists and other people that are more often than not falsely being referred to as griefers or bullies. Those people are usually just playing the game. It’s typically a few of their “victims” that tend to spew bile and resort to attacking the player behind the character that toppled their, or even just another unrelated players sandcastle or when things just don’t go their way. But even that’s fairly rare in the grand scheme of things.

2 Likes

Yeah. So true.

I am terribly sorry, i do that just because i want to be the first in Eve to tell you this: f*** you.
Again, im sorry.

1 Like

I think it’s ok, if I can have her stuff.

Way to go taking a quote and turning it around.

1984 is about people being like carebears, not the other way around! Self entitled, helpless people who need a Big Brother to take care of them, because long term politics over many generations turned them into soft, demanding, self entitled, passive aggressive, perpetual victims!

4 Likes

Eve is the worst?

No way.

I belong to one of those all inclusive super friendly accept all care bear peace love happiness gaming communities (multi game) and they are a group of people who will throw you off a cliff in a second if you are not in lock step with them. Their view will be your view, your view, if different, is wrong and its a settled subject already, the debate is closed they say. Your opposing viewpoint means nothing and the discussion is over. These are the things said in the “Nice” gaming communities you describe. Control, lockdown, group peer pressure.

Eve is the only honest and free gaming community I think I’ve been a part of. See that is how freedom is. That is how open mindedness feels. It hurts sometimes. It makes you think. It forces you to hear things that don’t fit into your manicured world, but one thing it brings in abundance is freedom. Freedom of thought, freedom of expression. Far more freedom than any carebear gaming community has ever delivered. Toxic? It can be, just like real life you cant escape it because it is a part of being free. You can ratchet down on a community all you like, you’ll just be left with a bunch wussies.

Eve is hard, but Eve is honest. I’d rather play with 1000 genuine assholes than play with 1,000,000 manicured snowflakes.

7 Likes

why should anyone care when there’s no consequences? where what you do means a lot with nothing that can harm you for doing something, oh you did that on a alt anyways? just sell it or toss it.

The only Toxicity I see is from the recent influx of SJW and the other lunatic fringe groups that want real world Political drama inside of EvE.

And every single time, CCP , listens to,caves for or hires one of these cucktastic individual the universe of EvE dies.

This is EvE: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR TENDER FEELINGS HTFU.

If you want to beat someone over the head with the Shillelagh of morality, then you can toddle your overly sensitive ass to WoW, GW2, or ESO because those developers have already been hijacked by the feminist SJW’s, You have gangs of idiots roaming around looking for people to get banned that say the wrong thing…sorry not this game, the day that happens you will see Jita burn like never before right before the mass cancellation.

EvE was created to be a Wild West not a safe space, not a snowflake paradise.

5 Likes

Here is a pretty good example of what I would call a toxic community member:

Also notable how members of the ag community which are notorious for their toxicity immediately came to his assistance.

4 Likes

Toxic thread is toxic. On one side we have a disgruntled miner who got ganked because he didn’t give in to what is essentially an extortion racket, and on the other hand we have a number of posters (or sock puppets) on the side of the extortionists.

Thing is, EvE is different. If one would fall to a scam or such in any other MMO, he could run to the GM’s, tell his sob story and have a good chance of the scammer to be banned and the items back in his possession. Here it’s a buyer’s beware world. Fell for a market scam? Keep your eyes open next time. Got blown up in a holdup or by a ganker? Learn to stomach it, or fight back, or move away, or ship out.

EvE is harsh. EvE can breed bitter attitudes in people. But on the other hand EvE can bring like-minded people together. On one side in mining fleets to protect each other, on the other side in pirate gangs who prey upon miners and haulers.

I admit. I’d be rated as a carebear myself. Little to no PvP experience to myself, and little inclination to it. But I had to learn to live in a world where PvP is everywhere. Always keeping an eye over the shoulder and the head down. Did that bring me down? I don’t think so.

But it obviously brings down many people, and it does show.

7 Likes

EVE isn’t actually harsh. it’s the west that grew too soft.

EVE is about self responsibility, admitting and learning from mistakes. that’s the polar opposite of how people get raised for decades now and every generation it gets worse. so, of course people whine, but in the end they’re wrong doing so, because it means they’re all little princesses.

PS:

But I had to learn to live in a world where PvP is everywhere. Always keeping an eye over the shoulder and the head down. Did that bring me down?

So you’re not a carebear at all. :slight_smile: actually, actual carebears from the cartoons have more spine and dignity than their real life counterparts.

1 Like

I’m a carebear :bear:

6 Likes

Hmmm. Anything but a carebear.

2 Likes