6 skills CCP should remove to drastically improve NPE

As some said depending on your factor governs which of the core skills are key to train first.

If amarr and you don’t do cap and armour hp core skills you’ll learn fast by the number of deaths.

Other require more powergrid or cpu.

As eve uni points its not a given to the core skills, and the magic 14 is something players named. But as noted above the magic 14 differ based on the faction ships you use.

As others said its part of the learning process. If its an issue yhen CCP may want in include the core skills recommend for each different starter factor as part of the train missions even if its only to level 2.

If a week 1 noob expects to compete right off the bat with a 10 year vet in a frig, he’s in the wrong mentality for this game, or he needs to make/bring friends, it’s an mmo afterall …

He can even flash his credit card and buy Plex for skill injectors … if he’s so bloody impatient …

Also, Ive re-rolled new alts many times, and besides unlearning what I knew about the game to keep things fresh, getting a proper edge in frigs took a couple of weeks at worse.

A couple of weeks … in an mmo, is nothing …

There are so many playstyles/ships to choose from, for instance a kiting condor or breacher, if flown right, can decimate even the oldest and careless vet in a AB Blaster Comet, or at least provide fleet support. I could be fleet tackle-ready literally in the first couple of days by training the right skills straight away …

How is that not being a competitive asset on entry almost ? Please explain to me and consider laying off the “poor newbies” crocodile tears and suggestions for one second …

Yeah sure, you’re not lvl 5 everywhere, but why should you be so early in the game ? No online game gives you a maxed out specialized character in that timeframe, and why would you even want to at this stage ?

Want to know how long I waited on my main until I trained Advanced Weapon Upgrades skill to lvl 5 ? 5 whole years … And I still played the game fine for all that time. I played WITH people with better skills than me and was still an asset to the fleet.

Because at the end of the day, for the time you will be training all those skills you will also be learning about the game’s mechanics, trying things, talking to people, planning, theorycrafting, reading, ragequitting, watching youtube tutorials, coming back, trying things, talking to people, etc, etc …

All that newbie learning process we all went through to fill in the time training said skills …

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: Too bad.

Yah, it’s only carebear minmax nonsense to think everyone needs to train all these skills.

People just need to undock, and stop crying.

2 Likes

Hmmm…

Personally would never tell a noobe to train to level four or let along level five.

I first ask them what they want to try in EVE and give them guidance on how to best achieve that goal.

I then advise them on how best to train skills, so they can get into other roles faster (even pointing out they won’t be able to do everything well).

Also advise them its not required to max skills to open new skills and modules.

Teach them about the different core skills for each faction, and also how to use ship mastery lists to best help guide them into those ships. While advising that level 4 and level 5 aren’t recommended until they have a better understanding ofthe basics as by the time the get level 2 mastery they may have changed their mind on what they want to do or try.

As others said you can only advise as its up to the player to decide which way they want to do things.

1 Like

It really isn’t.

The game is easier to understand and player mistakes have been ‘patched out’ like the safety system. The UI is more clear than it used to be with tool tips and links that never existed before. Hi-sec combat mechanics have been simplified from the complex ‘aggro’ mechanics to crime watch. Training is faster than ever before and starting SP is higher than ever before. 12 years ago you had to train 8 skills to 5 just to get the training speed you get from day one today.

There were many unintuitive mechanics like friendly fire in player corporations was always on and it never told you that. You just had to find out when your new friends killed you or someone told you. It never used to tell you that you were joining a corp that was under a wardec (something far more common 10 years ago) so you had to find out when they came and killed you.

Every player used to have to manage their own overview. You couldn’t load someone else’s by clicking a link. You had to read guides or have someone take you through every option over Comms. Players couldn’t highlight or point at elements of the UI for you by sending you a link like they can today.

You won’t know any of this because you have no idea what the game was like back then. But we all have an idea of what the game is like now.

I do. Frequently. That’s how I know exactly how long it takes to train drones to 5 as an alpha. It’s how I know exactly what every version of NPE for the past 7 years offers new starters.

The problem is your expectations. It’s always the expectations. You want to be competitive with a vet early on in the game. But you don’t even realise that your biggest drawback is not your SP. Its your knowledge and your attitude. What to fly, when to fly it, how to fly it and how to pick yourself up and try again when you fail. Faster training will never help you with that.

It didn’t help when starting SP was multiplied 10x. It didn’t help when training speed was increased. It didn’t help when new players we’re given SP for completing in game tasks. It didn’t help when skill injectors were given as part of the NPE. It didn’t help when players could buy more so and train even faster.

It simply cannot be stressed enough that the new players power gap has much less to do with SP than it does understanding game mechanics and playing culture.

2 Likes

they should add train gatekeeping to V

I think half the complaints are players want core skills to level5 without having to spend the time trajnjng them.

Instant reward for no effort.

You go from lvl3 mechanic to four and then five, thats a massive boost to ehp just from one skill, and it should cost you for it.
Its the same for all the core skills getting lvl4 and then lvl5 should cost you for the gains you get.

Lvl1-3 teach you how to trainand which to focus on first. Teachs player why and how to get what you want in the best way.

2 Likes

I think they should add level VI skills.

4 Likes

1 Like

you can only inject level those skills by training a dread, taking on the boss (who is only available to fight 1 time per week) and having a 10000 person fleet behind you

the true end game of eve

Nah. The true endgame is stealing the loot box out from under the 10001 man fleet.

haha yes

i want small pulse laser specialization lvl 6

The funny thing is, this makes the new generation far WISER than we were.

Most vets did NOT make an “effort” to gain those skillpoints. We had those SP drip fed to us, whether we lost battles or won them, whether we were logged into the game or not even that.

We have got nothing to be proud of here. Our skills were effectively given or bought. SPs were never part of the gameplay loop.

Effort is the wrong word. It’s “patience” and that makes US the fools, because this is a game, not a job. Turns out, patience is not always a virtue.

The only vets who have a valid excuse, are the simulationists who were around back when the game was still a closed, simulated market with an entry fee, but no other outside interference.
They put up with inconvenient ■■■■, because they had a simulated world to LARP in, not a cash shop with a game attached.

1 Like

So… if patience is foolish and not a virtue… what is the characteristic of the new generation that you find “wiser”?

2 Likes

bunch of weird kids IMO

Assertiveness definitely.

Not putting up with ■■■■, generally gets you much further ahead, than patiently getting shat on.

Generally speaking, a lot of older folks really got handed the wrong script when they were young.

You can only be a spoiled brat (aka assertive) when most of society is hard working and patient. But yes, you have a point; assertiveness is working well right now.