64-bit versus 32-bit memory requirements

When the 64-bit launcher became the default I noticed my system was hanging for 15-45 seconds periodically. After a bit of research I realized that the 64-bit version was simply using more memory and the OS was having to do immense swapping on disk to shuffle memory around. When I switched it back to the 32-bit version no further hangs were observed. Since the game continues while my client is hung, there were times where I nearly lost my ship as a result of a frozen screen. Obviously I decided to continue using the 32-bit version since the 64-bit version was (for me) simply unusable.

Now I realize that Eve currently has an 8gb memory requirement and I only have 6gb RAM. Since the motherboard itself is limited to a max of 6gb RAM, I fully populated it when I bought the computer and can not increase the RAM as a result.

I’m retired and living on a fixed income, Therefore I simply can not justify buying a new PC (or motherboard) for the sole purpose of playing a video game.

Can CCP make a committed promise to always support the 32-bit client? Or will it eventually be discarded and no longer be available? If it will eventually pass away into oblivion then I may as well join the people who’ve decided to leave Eve to find another game that my system can play.

1 Like

Take a wild guess.

32bit is going away at some point. When that will happen if another story though.

1 Like

I run it on linux with 4gb of ram and intel chipset vga it runs just fine. Maybe check the cache settings of the memory. I will check my settings when I get home. At work atm…

Win-10 doesn’t have cache memory settings to twiddle. And no, I’m not going to switch to Linux at this time. While I’ve 43 years experience as a computer systems (embedded) engineer, I really dislike using Linux for multiple reasons.

I will check my windows 10 PC at home and not my linux client at work. There is an option in EVE about using ram to cache something from video don’t know exactly by heart. You are welcome.

Updated :
It appears EVE client uses varied amount of memory. I tested by running 5 clients simultanously and giving them same tasks. To my surprise the memory use range from 142MB to 767MB with no clear difference in settings or activity. So I guess, try again with an alt and see if memory use is as bad too, if not, make a petition to CCP and have them look into it.

The option to make sure is NOT checked is “Resource Cache Endabled” (top right of the settings screen

2038 - Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia

Can you put your pagefile onto an SSD?
It’ll help with the times, at least.

In Windows 10, the OS automatically compresses memory before swapping out, further reducing access times at the cost of a bit of CPU. Yes, memory compression. It’s not a scam anymore, it’s an actual feature nowadays.

I can’t find programs that would allow you to move virtual memory to the graphics card. Such an option exists for Linux, but I guess not for Windows 10. It would of course not stop your stuttering, but it would still be faster than constant disk access. There might be programs which use videoram for a ramdisk, which then could be used for a second pagefile, but finding those might be tricky.

Besides obviously reducing literally all the graphical options to the lowest and turning off sound, hoping it’ll reduce memory requirements (which you can check easily, but restart the client after turning it all off), a weird potential help could be using one of these weird programs that promise you to free your memory with a single click.

The reasoning behind this is that they literally allocate all the available memory, forcing Windows to move everything to the pagefile. That sounds counter productive at first, but this also means that every single memory page (4 kilobyte, btw) that isn’t being accessed remains on disk and can be used for something else instead. The rest, of course, gets loaded back into memory.

That’s sadly all I can think of to help you without going insane with using a second computer’s RAM as RAMDisk and setting up a pagefile on that disk over a network. Via cable at best.

Sorry. Have fun saving money.

Well…then you know that hardware uprades are inevitable…and you will also simply have to learn new things if you want to accomplish desired tasks…it will be much more than just EvE soon enough…

Save up > buy a new computer cheaper without an OS > download directly or burn free PClinuxOS 64-bit OS online download onto a DVD > adapt > begin enjoying the world of freeware

yw - I gratefully accept isk tips

edit: https://www.pclinuxos.com/

1 Like

At some point, you have to ask yourself how much you’re willing to spend. If you aren’t willing to spend anything on a new PC, then you really don’t have anything invested in the game.

However, if you are willing to spend some money, then…

and it looks like you can probably play Eve if you spend 309$. If you get a new egg credit card, you can pay it off interest free in 6 months!

That’s about all I can help you with. Good luck to ya

@ Aedaxus
Yeah I had that one already clear (not checked). And yes my analysis was showing a huge amount of RAM being used by the Eve client. Might be worthwhile to report it as a bug, but I’ve not had much luck with reporting bugs in the past.

@Xuxe_Xu
Yes I’m well aware that each year brings new features. However after working for companies like Sun Micro and Network Associates, I also learned that companies make an effort to support legacy customers. Unfortunately this is not true in the gaming industry where each year brings new bugs (err… I mean features!) and zero support for prior existing customers.

@BOINGBOINGBOINGBOING_BOINGOBBLEOI
Wait until you’re retired and living on a fixed income. Then you’ll discover how much even a $20 increase in monthly expenses hurts! When I was working I thought nothing of upgrading to a new top end system. Now I’m having to budget a couple of months just to get a new keyboard and mouse! Trust me when I say getting old “sucketh greatly!”

(edited to correct a name)

1 Like

To be fair to CCP, they’ve been really good at supporting older hardware as well as pushing the limitations of current technology. At some point it’s just not worth the hassle to support the old system.
When CCP will finally decide to sunset 32bit support, your rig will likely be at least a decade old and being able to play a specific game is going to be the least of your worries.

If CCP is willing to commit to supporting 32-bit for another 24 months then I’ll be able to budget a bigger system. Even a 12 month commitment will probably see me in a bigger system (though it depends on other issues such as will there be a recession?).

As my original post asks, will CCP commit to ongoing support for 32-bit? Or will they chop it 2-3 months from now? If so, I’ll be forced out and I’d much prefer to know sooner as compared to later.

When you buy used you should be able to get away with less than 200 bucks, assuming all you buy is mobo, cpu (amd with integrated gfx) and RAM … which should be all you need, actually.

Why would your motherboard be limited to 6GB of ram, do u have 2 lots or just one slot…

My motherboard has 4 slots and i have 4gb in each… works a treat with 16gb. I got myn second hand very cheap on ebay.

if it just one slot you should be able to get 8gb or 16 gb strip.

I don’t think 32bit support is going away for at least a few years, as there is little reason to remove it (for now).

Could be an original i7, think they used DDR3 triple channel.

My laptop has 4GB physical ram (3.88GB) and using the 64-bit launcher I can multibox decently well with 5 accounts.
It also has 16GB Optane memory, but I dont know how to access it and running Task Manager wont show it either :confused: Dunno if the 16GB Optane boosts my performance, Im still new to this kind of ram.
This laptop is my “upgrade” to using the 64-bit client.
I saw “20GB Memory” and I bought it :3

Sounds like it’s using Optane for the pagefile, which makes sense.

Also, if you run Windows 10 (which I believe the OP doesn’t) then it’s compressing your memory before swapping it out, speeding up the whole process.

In any case … you fell for a marketing trick.
It’s not actually 20gigs of RAM.

It probably does not show up in your task manager, because optane memory is not actually RAM. It’s meant to work as a cache memory bridge between RAM and storage, allowing for faster data transfer between the memory, storage, and processor.

The main benefit being, that mechanical hard drives get a huge performance boost, bringing them much closer to the speed of SSDs.