A couple of thoughts for getting new players in

Im sure you will love living in the union.

OP: Stating your opinion doesn’t make it a fact.

Globally, the average wage is rising. There was a bit of a slump/plateau across 2011-2014 range, but in most areas even that was not a decline. More important is ‘purchasing power’, which means that even with rising wages, people are only able to afford roughly the same things for the past 3 years, despite nominal increasing income. This is due to inflation.

List of Countries by Average Wage

The vast amount of ISK already being earned in EVE, largely in Null, drives the inflation of prices in EVE markets. With more ISK bidding for the same goods, prices creep up. Although with the vast amounts of production coming out of too-safe Nullsec farms, prices are also being pushed down. VNIs, Gilas, other ships all available relatively cheap.

The primary thing getting more expensive rapidly is Plex, which is due to separate factors plus ISK inflation. Oddly, this contradicts your ‘golden age of Plexing, people can’t afford Plex’, since people now get more ISK per Plex than ever before. This is covered fairly thoroughly in the Plex threads.

The cost of a VNI ratting in Null is covered in roughly 3 hours or so. So if you can manage 4 hours per hull, you’ve paid it off and are in the black. The cost of a VNI has dropped steadily over the past year - from 140 million in mid-2018 to 65-70 million now.

Contrary to your assumption of the truth of your opinion (your post is relatively fact-free), ships are getting cheaper, people are getting more ISK for every Plex they buy, and incomes are going up. Also, there is far too much ISK being generated far too safely in the game already.

It is also quite questionable what your points about VNIs, carriers, ticks, and Plexing have to do with ‘getting newbros in’. These don’t seem to have anything to do with newbros.

While there may be a case to be made that there is a shortfall in low end ISK generation (newbros running missions and doing the lower end of exploration, anoms etc), there is certainly no case to be made that people running VNIs, carriers, or in Null need ‘bigger ticks’. CCP/Hilmar have ancknowledged multiple times over the past few years that ISK generation is basically out of control at the high end.

1 Like

can i haz your stuff?

Actually I feel like I’ve been a bit unfair, so I’ll add something.

Larry, you should watch CCP Ghosts presentation:

For some reason the timestamp in the link does not work via the forums,
so please jump to 01:42:00 to see his presentation.

This man is very smart. He’s slowly trying to figure out what for most of “us” is perfectly naturally understandable. He’s on his way learning that, what makes players stay in this game for a long time, is an experience filled with emotions caused by other players.

Like, for example, the classic “recruiting by shooting”, in some forms also known as can-flipping.

6 Likes

Where is all the wealth hoarded?

What happens if Rich Players have to rebuild, instead of poor players?

The snow-globe will very-much be shaken if Jita 4-4 went up ( or something like that ).

Hoarded wealth is dangerous to Economies. It always has been.

I think I understand what you’re getting at here. I recently got back into the game too and I’m aware there’s a lot of learning and waiting and dying that new players face. I do agree that this learning period is longer and more difficult than it needs to be. If they’re like me, new players will probably see that 100day skill training queue and wonder why they should wait it out.

I think that this is just an information problem though. I didn’t actually have to wait out my 100day queue to start having fun. I didn’t need to fly a shinny battleship to get a PvP kill. I didn’t need to rat for 200 hours in high-sec to make ISK. These are just common beliefs new players hold due to how the game presents itself. CCP and the EVE community should do a better job of showing fun alternatives to the boring endless uphill grind the game can seem to be. Unfortunately when a frustrated new player comes to the forum wanting help, in the form of asking for changes to be made to the game, they’re criticized rather harshly. Experienced players should know that when a new player wants the game to be made easier, it’s probably because they’re playing the game in a way that makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

My advice? Try to find a corp that wants to help out new players. There’s lots of them! I didn’t want to do that because I figured I could do things on my own but honestly you can’t. After I went through the process of joining I’ve had much more fun playing EVE than I ever did. My corp-mates shared low-cost, low-skill fittings with me that were much better than the ones I had. They told me an easy way to make ISK that was also fun to do. Most of all though they have a chatroom that’s fun to be a part of even if you’re taking a boring 14 jump trip somewhere. Hold your ideas about what changes need to be made to the game until you spend a little bit participating in some group activities and asking your corpmates lots of stupid questions!

Side note: There’s no use making a new thread to avoid trolls and forum PvPers. They’ll find you!

2 Likes

Watch the presentation and learn something.
You really require more information.

See also:

1 Like

Starts at ~1:40:00

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Oh, hey! Wrong link!
The one I usually use has a timeskip!

Gotta correct that. Thanks!

For some reason the timestep does not work on the forums,
so I’ve added it into the post.

We became freindly with more than a few greafing groups because we shot back… and in some cases we were baiting too; was all very good fun.

1 Like

All incorrect.

It’s about disposable income, not average wage. It’s not as simple as you say.

1 Like

LegacyKillaHD said on Youtube:
“Uhm no thanks, I gat a life I’m going to play something else that doesn’t punish me for playing”

That is today gamers attitude and reason why Eve must change, A LOT !!!

A sub costs £9.99, about an hour and a quarters earnings at minimum wage if over 25. Not all of us have high personal debt either, I’ve cleared mine totally, by actually budgeting properly and living within my means.

You probably spend more in Greggs on sausage rolls in a week, than you’d spend on a 30 day sub.

It’s quite literally explained in black and white.

Just because it isn’t explained to your understanding, or in a way that makes your suggestions a favorable option, doesn’t make it incorrect.

@BDVannessa_LSG
Like I mentioned in another thread, it’s the perception of fairness. It’s why COD and battle royals are as popular as they were - people are presented a seeming level playing field, gameplay lasts in intervals of a few minutes, it’s easy to pick up so anyone can play, and you’re given constant rewards to feel good about what you do.

EVE is not and will never be a mainstream game; we already have titles filling that market.

In my world ( I work in Mental Health, & have done so for coming up a decade now ) this is what I see:

Not rich kids.

The UK Wealth divide is well documented. It messes up the Average Wage data, because of how divided we are. So Average Wage alone doesn’t cut it.

And that spending power is what games like CCP need.

And I want someone to shoot dammit.

Keep it going, but please keep it civil :slight_smile:

Yeah, man, but so what?

You think making it easier for people to PLEX and play a game is in any way or form helping anyone at all and that’s simply not the case. Not for CCP, not for them, not for anyone.

The last thing people should be doing is wasting time on a videogame when they’re short on money. There’s others things one can do, which can be done for free. You’re not even aware how you’re making all of these people look like victims. Worse, you’re not aware that you somehow believe that playing EVE isn’t a luxury. It is.

These guys and their low money-at-the-end-of-the-month can play as Alphas, or not play at all. They’re not even remotely related to improving player retention, because Omega state isn’t a requirement to continuously playing the game. The one major driving factor of getting people hooked is emotional experiences with people and, to no ones surprise, Omega state isn’t a requirement for that. At all.

Every other claim just makes you look bad, because you believe that using “shinies” is a good way of getting long term players into the game. It’s not. That’s not how this works. The outcome isn’t what you think it is. You don’t understand what you’re talking about and you’re not asking enough question to make it look like you’re actually considering the possibility that you’re wrong.

Watch the presentation and learn something.

/thread.

3 Likes

You can play eve for free and pvp in t1 frigs and cruisers.

1 Like

I am watching the presentation.

I work in Mental Health, so am pretty solid on Psychology.

Without spending power PLEX does not happen.

And this is supposed to be a game, not a day-job ( the original comment about fun etc ). Grind is grind.

It’s just basic cash, and what people do in their leisure time. In my country we are now seeing less of both compared to, say, 10 yrs ago.

I haven’t commented on the presentation yet.

Can i just add, as someone from the UK, average wages are up faster than inflation (BBC not tabloid). And working in mental health is not the same as the psychology of playing games/marketing (wtf?)

@Bloody_Larry
You don’t need to grind in eve and fly shinies. Making friends is much more valuable.

2 Likes

I agree on friends. I disagree on shinies. And I have already pointed out that Average Wage is too simplistic a view.

As for the Beeb they lost ‘trusted source’ status with many a while ago. As more & more shops close on our High Streets etc.