A Public Service Denouncement

I see. I would appreciate a copy of the communication data, if you feel comfortable providing me with it. Given everything else, it may just be further mocked up ‘evidence’ meant to implicate me, but perhaps if we are fortunate it will help identify the real culprit.

I would also like to suggest that any reputable third party who might want to analyze it step forward, as naturally should I detect anything in it, my conclusions might be suspect.

You mentioned it was a manned platform? Were you able to tell if crew were aboard before it self-destructed? I realize that many podders consider life extremely cheap - but it is still a tragedy if someone betrayed and murdered their own employees that way.

4 Likes

I will forward your request for the communication data to the appropriate party.

Like much about today’s events, the identity or existence of any actual crew members remains uncertain. Very little data was gathered before the observation post’s destruction, and very little remained afterwards.

For obvious reasons, I’d also love access to any data, and updates on the situation as it develops. As Mr. Night’s employer, I’m sure you’d understand my interest in the matter.

6 Likes

Because the Federation has virtually no legal methods for dealing with fifth columns, making it an easy target.

Also note that I am not assuming the man’s guilt, just answering a hypothetical. If someone was going to do this anywhere, the Fed is most vulnerable to it.

1 Like

Thank you.

If anyone was aboard, may the ancestors shelter their souls.

Given this possible and even likely betrayal of their own employees in what seems to be a maneuver to publicly discredit me, I am resolved to uncover the person or organization responsible. I have always understood that the tarnish of being a Nation loyalist isn’t something that is ever entirely gone, and I have accepted as reasonable the position that many people take even a decade later that it is not forgiven, or forgotten. That is as it should be, I would be suspicious in their position too.

Which makes it doubly puzzling that someone would go through this trouble, to besmirch an already damaged reputation, and potentially do something as despicable as killing those who are their responsibility to do it.

2 Likes

If you want the man to be seen as innocent, you should probably not speak in his defense.

You’re not dumb, you know this, so you’re probably just trolling.

2 Likes

Lieutenant Phonage’s reconnaissance of the station in question revealed that it’s corporate registration belonged to Naqam Heavy Bioindustries. Upon closer inspection by his starship, the station activated automated defence systems which proceeded to engage Lieutenant Phonage, presumably triggered by some sort of proximity alert system. Shortly afterwards, from what can be gathered from drone footage, the station self-destructed and the debris burned up in the atmosphere. Regrettably, nothing of value was able to be salvaged. From reports of similar Nation equipment being encountered, the defence systems are only meant to delay rather than act as a credible deterrent, in order for the station to transmit self-destruct codes to all related stations on the network in the region to prevent information traces. We’re attempting to decipher some of the intercepted information bursts, but it is unlikely that they will provide anything of value at this time.

As for those that say I shouldn’t bother speaking out when it is solely the Federation that is under threat… well where do we draw the line? When those monstrous individuals have assimilated our neighbours and are knocking on the proverbial door to peddle their wares? No, I’d think not.

I was wondering when you’d make an appearance, Captain Night. Well, as for the appearance of the corporate emblem on the installation itself, it did indeed seem quite odd at first. The station itself was hidden quite well, utilising a combination of stealth technologies to conceal it from regular sensors and detection equipment. But then again, so are many DED and unrated combat sites, and wherever Nation has a presence and it is discovered, it is usually in their interests to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt pertaining to that area.

There can be few other alternative interpretations or conclusions to be made here. A Naqam-registered installation in orbit above a planet in which an ex-Naqam affiliate, one that showed great commitment to the cause of Nation before their supposed retirement, is currently operating? That alone is damning.

As for your evaluation by Dr. Char, well, that could easily be countered in that Nation’s mental conditioning can subvert even the most advanced detection and evaluation methods. I distinctly recall that an official of one of the most powerful organisations in the land transpired to be an agent of Nation, and I can only imagine the rigorous safeguards they have in place to prevent such an event occurring. And why I had all this information? Well, I keep dossiers on those I harbour suspicions about when they get involved with people I care about. I’m sure you understand, there is little I wouldn’t do to keep them safe.

2 Likes

With respect, where are you getting this information about ‘reports of similar Nation equipment’?

I’ve never heard of any station that behaves as you’ve described, and I have plenty of experience with what happens when Sansha stations blow up.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, Mr Adams. It has started to clarify some things, even if it has created more cause for concern.

As I assume that when you mention its ‘corporate registration’ you are talking about some kind of identifying signal it was producing (the alternative being that it was listed in a database somewhere of secret installations), that doesn’t seem any more definitive than someone spray painting a logo on the side. Less so - since it doesn’t make very much sense that a secret facility would broadcast anything or identify itself voluntarily.

I entirely agree that whomever is responsible for this should face the light of day.

That does seem to be their frequent modus operandi, particularly now. However, it seems like it would be a strange way to go about things: making every technological effort to ensure that the station would remain undiscovered only to then advertise my own involvement in order to spread ‘fear, uncertainty, and doubt’ about myself when it was discovered.

Saying something does not make it so, Mr Adams. Though your quick, detailed reaction to this and your refusal to entertain any alternatives other than the scenario presented by a ham-fisted frame job are drawing me toward some troubling conclusions of my own.

I hope, for the sake of the honor of the person responsible, and the honor of their ancestors, that even should they have sunk to the depths of doing this thing, they didn’t murder those in their care in the commission of this farce.

That’s possible, if unlikely, and I think I’ve already addressed it. Of course, with nanite-based methods that are used now, any of us might be at risk.

I think I do, Mr Adams, more than you realize. I hope your own efforts haven’t lead you down a path you will regret to little purpose.

3 Likes

I repeat. Mr. Adams, Mr. Phonaga, I’d like to receive all data you have pertaining to the installation at your earliest convenience.

At present, we essentially just have your word for it. To be perfectly honest, while I usually consider your word good, here you appear to have a bit of an ax to grind.

Confirmation of data would go a long way.

5 Likes

I will forward your request for the communication data to the appropriate party. I see no reason that your request would not be granted.

I appreciate your extremely diplomatic tone in this unusual and troubling situation.

1 Like

I’d also like clarification of this. Mr Phonaga states he was only with difficulty able to trace the location after knowing it was there and tracking some unusual transmissions, and when he came close enough to it to ascertain its “registration” it fired and self-destructed.

Yet you state you ‘chanced across’ it. And gathered this same information, but both left it in place and managed not to trigger any of these defenses. How was that?

Edit: After further clarification, Mr Phonaga did not actually get any sort of electronic registration information, he just saw the logo. So we are back to your word about it being a ‘registered’ NHB structure, and indeed putting that word in Mr Phonaga’s mouth above. And the only evidence being a logo etched in the hull of the structure, based on the drone footage I’ve had a chance to see.

2 Likes

No, no and no. However you can see with camera drones things specifically hidden from us - just look at any station undock. Similarly it would take just a bit if ingenuity to have Aura analyze local transmissions, like when Aura prompts you about transmissions being sent to other pirate strongholds, which it has tracked to the other end.

Anything can be armed and attack capsuleers without being sanctioned to do so. Whether they succeed in it is another story.

4 Likes

So pure fiction and never actually happened, gotcha.

I swear, sometimes it’s like people aren’t so much living in New Eden as they’re furiously writing fanfic about it.

1 Like

Well, I personally don’t feel it’s all that besmirched? I swear, these people and their reflexive distaste for anything remotely transhuman. The CONCORD propaganda since the Incursion days has been entirely too effective.

Speaking of effective propaganda, wow. I’ve met fans of the Upwell line of products, but until now I don’t think I ever met someone who believed anything not in there actually can not exist.

8 Likes

Go anchor something like what has been fantasized in this thread and get back to me.

1 Like

Good grief, stop being so anally retentive and go play with your hobby band, if it even exists, because I haven’t seen it so I can’t be sure.

11 Likes

Maybe it doesn’t? Maybe I just invented the whole thing? It could be just a ruse of some sort. That said, until I pretend it’s floating out in space shooting capsuleers, I think its existence is pretty irrelevant to this board.

1 Like

Can someone TL;DR this thread for me, please?

2 Likes

Shakey, likely false, malicious accusations against Silver Night. And some minor rabble back and forth.

3 Likes