Abysmal Joke (Joy) - How a great idea can fail so hard (or be great after all)

Very interesting, I found my filaments in low sec and wormholes too, but not null sec.

1 Like

Just wanted to point out some logic issues :stuck_out_tongue:

If 500m payout is not worth the trip to jita - humblebragging about you being space rich and at the same time space bored and looking for good pve - the why not go to jita and spread some of that hard earned iskies to buy yourself 10 filaments for 5 bil and go about doing your pve thing ?

I can see all this passionate speech about what is most likely a droprate decimal point issue, with some dev lazily adjusting a number in a table, over the morning coffee, with the team around snickering at your ill-adjusted nerd rage :smiley:

I know I would :))

3 Likes

Told you they should have gone linear model with 1 guaranteed filament drop on completion to next L.

But NOOO you said.

I think the colors on that tree should maybe be the other way around?

LE: But give the difficulty gap between l3 and l4-5 tbh it wouldve just pushed the problem a bit further down the line. you would run linearly until level 3, die on 4, be back to start with no filament.

Granted it wouldve increased the l2-3 site running a lot.

The tree model can be seen as involving RNG of filament drops as well.

My proposal was that each L drops one filament to the next L, guaranteed, on completion. (Ie: Linear. 1 Filament = One L chain from L1 to L5.)

1 Like

It is not a failure at all. Failure was you spending hours looking for filaments, though it was clear from the beginnnig, that those, who are able to log in after the downtime will quickly farm them all out. No filaments in data sites lefft is not a failure, its a success.

If nothing else, Abyss did short term job of ultimate ISK sink. And that is very good for game economy.

It is a long run, I think. Those, who are in a hurry will burn out very soon. CCP will fix the loot table later and rest of us will use tier 3 Abyss as a nice add on to other PvE activities. I am certain, that most players will not go into Abyss on regular basis. But now we got new toy to play solo with, apart from missions, WH diving or combat signatures runnig. Very different, deadly boring if done constantly (same 3 rooms over and over again). But boring to a lesser degree, than solo WH PvE and people still kill very same sleepers over and over again. At least environment in Abyss is a lot better from estetical point of view.

Slowly, wih time, you will get skill books and BPC. I saw Leshak driver killing their own alts already. And that is not 24 hours form start of the Abyss in TQ.

1 Like

yea I get that, for the linear part.

As for the tree - I would argue that you would need several l1 to get a l2, several l2 to get a l3 and so on, with level 5 being the singular bubble at the end. Isn’t that how it works?

These filaments aren’t “farmable” per se. A cherry-picked data site will disappear after an hour. So even if someone cherry-picks right after downtime, another data site will appear within an hour.

i didnt find a data or relic site in High Sec so i cant tell if there are filaments too
i never go to Null Sec so i dont know if there are filaments to get

JuuR

You only need 1 filament of the corresponding L1-L5 pocket, to make the next L pocket.

You dont need 2 L1s, or two L2s, to make an L2 pocket.
Just one L2 filament.

yes, yes - so the tree is like that to account for drop rates.

What i discussed were teh colors used - as you would paint the l1 with red there, whereas above you paint them with green so it’s a bit confusing that’s all :slight_smile:

im waiting on CCP to tell us in a month theres not enough people running the sites, so the system will be scrapped/handed off to another team for future use as something else.

3 Likes

In the tree model, the L1 is the “seed” that spawns the L1-L5 “tree”
See what I mean?
It starts from the bottom, and branches up and outwards.

but since every site only delivers 1 filament of the next tier how can it “spawn” a tree? That’s the part I don’t get.

it’s not related to the original rant, just a personal inquiry - if i would find a way to send a private message i’d get it off this thread :frowning:

This image originated in a previous thread that had the filament droprate being discussed.

The tree model represented multiple filament drops, from each pocket.
I took issue with that, as it woud lead to quadratically more filaments, the further you progress in the chains.

I argued for the linear model instead, where each L guarantees one filament drop to the next L, on completion. No further filament drops. Just one to the next L.

Dont worry. Your questions are valid, and Im glad to answer them, and others may benefit from explanation of my diagrams here as well.

1 Like

The way I think it works now, with only one filament having a chance to be dropped from each site you run would be more like this (accounting for a 50% global chance to drop)

But I see your point - I didn’t know it was the case that more can drop from a single site run.

LE: the droprate is chosen for teh sake of actually displaying them on one page :slight_smile:
for me it would make sense to have it like this - then the higher level pockets will naturally increase in cost. Why would someone want to proliferate high level content at the expense of the low level one?

I mean you could adjust the way they drop so you get an increase around the level 2-3 (i.e. levels 1 and 2 might drop more that one filament of the next tier) and make it funnel to levels 4-5 (i.e. levels 3 and 4 have a chance to drop which is <100%).

I dunno what the droprate is now.

You’d be surprised the crazy ■■■■ some people argued in the other thread…

If the filaments had dropped like candy then prices on all of the Abyssal loot would have crashed to mud already (they will probably end up there) because everyone and his dog would be running them.

This way the things have value for longer.

1 Like

yes, I mean - it’s not even 24 hours since the launch of the feature and already someone is complaining about drop rates … que? :-s

3 Likes

I would have bet everything that exactly this OP would make a thread like this within 24hrs.