Abyss Gila and Transversal velocity

Hello so lately I’ve been doing the abyss tier 2 sites. The problem I am facing that sometimes gets me close to losing my gila is the 4 striking damavik + 1 harrowing vedmak spawns. (not sure if it’s called exactly that, but it’s the 4 frigs + 1 cruiser that do crazy dps and crazy transversal velocity)

I’m using minmatarr fleet issue meds and they still can’t track for sh*t and a lot of times I’m finding myself at the last drops of my shield by the time I’m done.

So how would you proceed with such spawns? Get the cruiser or frigs first? Go straight line away from them? Try to approach frig or cruiser? Orbit? Maybe just use hammerheads instead? Do not recommend me web or painter because I really need the tank.

I’ve been also thinking about using tracking enchancer for drones instead of a 3rd damage amp which would lose me about 50DPS.

Please discuss, give some tips if you can, thanks.

Can you list your fit? If you have MWD just burn away til out of range so damage doesn’t spool up. I usually take out the frigs to keep some dps off and they usually die faster.

Yes this is the first one I was using :

[Gila, Momo gila]
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Large Shield Extender II

Prototype ‘Arbalest’ Rapid Light Missile Launcher
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
Republic Fleet Valkyrie x5

Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x76
Inferno Fury Light Missile x80

And this is the “improved” version that I just put up. Honestly my goal is to ultimately NOT die in a T2. Note : Can’t use T2 adaptive invulnv and launchers (low sp)

[Gila, Momo]
Type-D Restrained Shield Power Relay

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Shield Extender II
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier

Drone Link Augmentor I

Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
Republic Fleet Valkyrie x5

Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x4532
Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile x3372

Try changing to extenders instead of purgers… add in a damage control instead of the shield relay. Take one of the invuls and change to a site specific hardener. Also drop the web for another shield extender.

So lows would be
2x drone damage
1x damage control

Mids
1x inv
1x specific hardener
1x mwd
Rest extenders

Rigs 3x extenders

You don’t really need the recharge as much as you do a buffer to survive long enough to kill off some dps.

Vedmaks take 100 seconds to ramp up to full damage, which is 2.5x their starting damage. They should die first, always.

Their max range is 22km, so if you stay beyond that their beam will shut off and it will have to start ramping again if it gets in range.

If you are fast and have low sig you can orbit close and they will lose tracking (I have a fleet scythe that does 1600m/s in darks with a 77 sig that never gets hit by vedmaks once orbiting).

If your drones are having trouble connecting, you are probably doing Dark sites - don’t. Leave Dark sites to the missile boats. Your drone damage is severely reduced here.

I would not trade out the 3rd DDA for an enhancer, your drones should hit anything without issue really unless it’s Dark.

1 Like

fit looks good, work on your Missiles Skills, the rapid lights are there for applying dmg onto the damaviks. The cruiser needs to die first, Vedmaks are always primary. If you are not running darks I would drop the web and put in a site specific shield resistance amplifier. Rigs look good, especially if you want to go to t3-t4 later on.

1 Like

Thank you guys for informative replies. I found that my “improved” fit works the best and won’t even break a sweat doing T2 darks, usually completing them in 10 minutes or less.

As in what type of sites I’m doing, yes, I’m running T2 darks and that’s because the filaments are cheapest.

P.S.

If someone is going to use my fit, switch 10MN compact ab to 10MN monoprop enduring AB.

You might be able to so firestorm faster they re also real cheap, not sure though but might be worth a try. Don t forget to use thermal drones and missiles if ya give it a shot.

Yeah, just don’t run darks with a drone boat. There’s a reason that these filaments are the cheapest.

Depending on your skills and whether the timer or the rat damage is your biggest threat, your best filaments are gamma, exotic or firestorm.

Gamma has a shield boost, which makes your Gila much tougher, but the explosive resist penalty doesn’t benefit your missile-bonus.

Exotic has a kinetic resist penalty, which syncs up nicely with the missile bonus of the Gila. The scan resolution bonus gives faster target locks (for you and for the rats), but that’s not really relevant.

Firestorm has a thermal resist penalty, so again nice for Gila-missiles. The armor boost makes rats a bit slower to chew through (especially since some of them have armor-repairers), but does very little for you as the Gila is shield-tanked.

Finally, electrical filaments have an EM resist penalty, which doesn’t benefit any of the Gila-bonused missiles. The cap recharge rate is nice for ships that have capacitor restrictions, but this shouldn’t really be a big issue for a Gila.

If you prefer safety over speed, I’d go gamma > exotic > electrical > firestorm > dark. If you prefer speed over safety, it’d be exotic > gamma > firestorm > electrical > dark. If you prefer death, pick dark.

Always use the drones that match the resist penalty of the filament. It’s a big DPS increase. In exotic and firestorm, pick the missiles that match the resist penalty. In other filaments, it depends on the tier of filament and your Gallente Cruiser skill. In lower tiers and/or with higher Gallente Cruiser levels, pick one of the bonussed missile types (kinetic or thermal). In higher tiers, it may be better to go for the resist penalty of the filament and ignore the Gila bonus to kinetic/thermal missiles.

I ran T5 filaments (because event did not reset otherwise, otherwise I would not) in a Gila, fitted very much like yours. Just faction gear instead of your T2 or meta.
What you need is T2 launchers with precision ammunition against small targets (drones are for destroyers and above) and magic C3-X ballistic control module. I also fit medium nosferatu against neuting NPC. Otherwise - pretty much your fit. Just do not waste your drone time on frigates, if you have bigger targets out there.

I shoot cruisers first and orbit battleships at 1000 to reduce their damage. Watch the electronic warfare and know how it is going to affect your ship.

I like your improved fit for running t2 darks. The sooner you can skill up to a tech 2 webifier the more effective your drones will be. The RF Valkyrie is the best medium drone for darks.

I farm T3 dark, but I can’t do T4s or 5s.

Basically take your standard T4 Gila fit, switch out 1 mid for tracking computer with tracking script, switch out 1 rig for drone speed. Carry 6 vespas and 4 hammerheads. Pre arrange your drones into groups of 2, vespa 1, vespa 2, Vespa 3, Hammerhead 1, Hammerhead 2.

Use Vespas as default drones, Hammerheads on Battleships only, otherwise they won’t hit. vespas hit very nice if they can move faster, and with that rig, they can and they do hit very nice.

Watch your drones shields, when they get to about 1/3 recall and switch drones, group 1, group 2, group 3. By the time your group 3 is recalled, group 1 will be back at full shields.

Also, I recommend 90 HPS tank for it, if you can’t hit 90 with the tracking comp and that drone rig fitted, don’t run these. You may be OK for a few spawns or even instances, but then you’ll die.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.