Abyssal Pockets and the Ships to Run Them

Guessing AC vaga with a cap battery, afterburner, and large booster then one extra mid, probably an invlun for tank or maybe a web for range control. Probably throw on an assault damage control and damage mods in the lows.

Less familiar with muninn fits, but it should be pretty flexible, maybe cap battery with dual rep? Seems pretty similar to what I was thinking about with my deimos fit earlier.

1 Like

Yeah, I first thought of Vagabond since I already own one, plus itā€™s quick and agile with pretty good bonus stats for projectile and shield boost.
5x 425mm AC IIā€™s and Med Nos in high slots.
Large Shield Booster, Shield Boost Amp, Invul Field and 10MN Afterburner in mid slots.
2x Gyro, Tracking Enhancer, Assault Damage Control and Power Diagnostic System in low slots.
2x Med CCC II in rig slots.
5x T2 Light Drones

I checked the Muninn and it has more bonus for projectile but no utility high slot, however it does have an extra low slot. Thought maybe a shield buffer tank with active resist.
5x 425mm AC IIā€™s in high slots.
Large Shield Extender, Invul Field, 10MN Afterburner, Tracking Computer -w- Range/Tracking Script in mid slots.
Assault Damage Control, Power Diagnostic System, 2x Gyro, Tracking Enhancer, Drone Damage Amp in low slots.
1x Med Anti-Kinetic II, 1x Med Anti-Explosive II in rig slots.
5X T2 Light Drones

The only reason I thought about the Drone Damage Amp mod was so Drones could be used as an emergency ā€˜Get Out Of Jailā€™ action. Course Iā€™m thinking Faction/Deadspace mods for buffed stats.

I suspect the content is aimed at players with a wide range of skill and experience. If youā€™re an experienced player flying a HAC or pirate cruiser, Level 1 should present little challenge.

I like the idea that terrain matters and weā€™ll need to learn how to exploit it to survive the deeper levels. I also like the fact that there is a specific counter to the Gila - though it remains to be seen how effective it will be.

I built a passively tanked Phantasm on Sisi yesterday and look forward to trying it out.

[Phantasm, Phantasm fit]

Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Power Diagnostic System II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Amplifier II
Federation Navy 10MN Afterburner
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender

Heavy Pulse Laser II, Scorch M
True Sansha Medium EMP Smartbomb

Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Warrior II x3

Edit: Alas, this is not a good fit, at least for the Tier 1. The medium turrets canā€™t track the rats - even with the hull bonus for tracking. I switched to a Gila with rapid light launchers - it easily completed the sites - good application with both missiles and drones.

1 Like

This is what I gathered. At one point they were showing circles within the pockets of the abyss representing the aoe of the things youā€™re talking about. It seemed like you could just avoid that area, but Iā€™m not completely sure.

1 Like

The low tier pockets will prob be super easy if they decided to make t1 cruisers viable inside the top tier ones will prob need the superior tanking of hacs.On the subject of fits I made some for the better shield ships and some for armor its obvious youā€™ll want one of each to do any encounter.I also went with solid all round fits with omnitank and a way to deal with many things such as being pinned down by multiple frigs,being neuted,having to deal with groups of disproportionately high dps rats,mobility and damage application

I also got max skills in all hacs including weapon specs/tank and can drive a ship quite decently so not worried

2 Likes

ā€œOkay. When we get back without you, Iā€™ll call your folks.ā€
- Frost, Aliens

I agree, I think the higher level tiers of Abysmal Pockets will require max skills with a solid ship fit to complete it. The bottom line is thereā€™s a short timer to complete them so Iā€™m thinking just barge through the pockets with max defense and DPS.

I hope we can try those pockets on SiSi for a bit, so we get a feel of how we would do on TQ.
Reward donā€™t have to be like on TQ but I would like to try things first.

3 Likes

Yeah, would be great to get some field test info first before actually committing time and resources on it.

2 Likes

Read something interesting today on imperium.news with the Q&A at FanFest Game Design Panel.

Q: Alright, and the second one, back on the Triglavian type stuff for a moment here. That deviant automata suppressor; will it also be targeting our Drifter friends?
A: (CCP Larrikin) No, it wonā€™t. Itā€™ll exclusively be drones and rogue drones and missiles. So if you fire a missile through the area it will be shot-down as well.

This does not seem to bode well for missiles or dronesā€¦

2 Likes

in theory it should but thereā€™s a thing with Sleeper and Rogue drones (and im sure the system has it built like that), and is that they are taken as ships for combat purposes.

of course, the ā€œApisā€ class of rogue drones show as actual drones (as they conserve the heavy drone model) but those ā€œAlviā€ and higher are classified in ship sizes ranging to frigates to battleship (and the bigger stuff as capitals i guess).

same for Sleeper Drones used by the Drifters. they are classified into frigate, cruiser and battleship spawns. so they shouldnt count as targets for the DAS because the system takes it as NPC ships instead of actual drones like the ones used by players.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t there also shown some sort of a structure that specifically kills drones and missles as well ? Or did I misunderstand ?

1 Like

Yep the suppressor thingy.

1 Like

The DAS I believe, which ironically is an acronym for a chunk of code in the place I work that regularly kills our IT systemsā€¦

1 Like

i haev been experimenting with ONI and Zealot fits. im really leaning more to the zealot rather than the ONI has it will have higher staying power. +omni tank is nice.

1 Like

So then would an active tank sentry boat be an option? If you can avoid the aoe effects and just plop down sentries orbit at 500 and blap away, doesnā€™t this negate any serious drone effects? That strategy lets you fight at range and sig tank some as well as just pick up drones and relocate if the npc get too close. I currently use a sentry stratios for pve stuff and it allows me to tank sites a stratios usually cant handle just using range alone. That also seems like it would be a pretty good counter for the triglave weapon systems which appear very brawly. I think a VNI or Stratios or Ishtar would work well here. Only issue I see is the explo hole on those ships. I think I would be using a reactive and a t2 explo resist rig though.

Something like thisā€¦
[Vexor Navy Issue, Vexor Navy Issue Sentry]
Damage Control II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Centum A-Type Medium Armor Repairer
2x Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
Centum A-Type Energized Explosive Membrain

Sentient Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

Drone Link Augmentor I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Medium Sentry Damage Augmentor I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Republic Fleet Bouncer x5
Republic Fleet Valkyrie x5
Republic Fleet Warrior x5

1 Like

dont forget these NPCs have the new AI of FOB rats and the like so just sitting there and move your sentries periodically wont do. perhaps use heavy drones instead.

i still stand in my point that the content is designed to give more prominence to gunboats instead of the traditional missile + drone doctrine.

1 Like

However there is no warping around like the FOB rats which have a ping on every pixel in the game. So why wouldnā€™t I be able to drop sentries kill npc till they close in then just burn off to rinse repeat. The only part which might get tricky is navigating to a new spot with AOE stuff going on and avoiding closing in on the blob.

1 Like

thereā€™s no warping around yes, but that doesnt mean they couldnt call reinforcements from inside the pocket, not to mention that thereā€™s a (possibly) invisible limit on the pocket at which the ship will get damaged. not sure on if kiting would be a proper strat

1 Like

Abyssal pockets are only 150km in diameter, go outside this and the environment will destroy your ship.

Really? Donā€™t bet on that, even with the tight space there is.

1 Like