Active vs. Passive Armor Tank?

A kiting ship attacks from range using longer range weapons than their prey. Their greater speed and maneuverability is used to dictate the range. Generally they will use a mwd and warp disrupter.

Oh… oh yeah :/.
heck

i found that passive armor tanking gave me more ewar options since cap isn’t as much of an issue.

if you know your enemy is actively tanked, then go passive and use neuts to destroy his tank (bonus points if he’s using hybrid guns or lasers, or flying with a mwd). i use a passive tanked legion to neut tengus and other T3 cruisers as they’re 90% certain to be actively tanked.

My loki would disagree

Good luck getting in neut range

^ this is coming from my experience in low sec hunting T3 cruisers.

if you see a T3C on d-scan in low sec for a reasonable amount of time, then they’re almost certainly running PVE content (usually DED 5s and 6s). to run these sites, you need an active tank. in my experience, a neuting legion does a good job of destroying this tank. you find the next DED site that they’ll likely run, and cloak in there and wait for them to come to you. decloak, neut, blap.

as PVP T3Cs are usually cloaky hunters, you cannot see them on d-scan. if they do show up, it’s only momentarily. they are very difficult to hunt, and in my opinion, aren’t worth the effort vs reward.

so the 90% of T3 cruisers you see hanging around on d-scan are very likely PVE-fitted and actively-tanked.

yes i was there, of course
however when you have 9000 toons in a system don’t expect any pilot to have a global view of everythg that happened.
many things have been written on this battle, mistakes that were made etc. You should be able to find them on reddit or on INN
The biggest mistakes on PAPI side (according to me) were

1. the decision to ask PAPI caps/supers/titans to not log back in after dt during the first M2- battle (armor timer), as until dt titans kills were pretty even iirc (like 100+ on each side). Not logging back in meant they were trapped until the next timer at a spot which got immediately heavily bubbled and camped
  2. PAPI subcaps not trying to be in M2 in the hours before the last fight kicks off. The imperium members were hyped as ■■■■ (should i introduce you some guys called the Mittani or Brisc?..;)) and ready in advance, in system
    After that it became a weird battle, tidi, server not responding, and … a song…
    We Didn't Crash the Server - YouTube

I think the logic was that by waiting for the timer, they could bring their own numbers to spare, slightly outnumbering the Imperials in supers and a lot by subcaps. Sure the cyno point and the people logging back in would be in different places, but the hope was their would be enough shear DPS to overpower the defenders.

On paper, if the servers didn’t buckle, this makes some sense, although I have no idea why they didn’t try to get into M2 before the fight.

I checked some sources on INN, some by a blog named William, and some reddit posts and screenshots. It seems the PAPI cyno point was camped and stealth bombers shot at the ships coming in. Not only that, but there were at least 30 ships using HAMs (and not Javelins) meaning they pretty much knew exactly where the ships were coming in since these ships could fire immediately. Oh and let’s not forget Anti-Capital Pulse lasers were in optimal range. So if the servers didn’t buckle, all the ships would come in, they’d have their modules, and then all that DPS would just hit them. It would be smarter to cyno somewhere that wasn’t camped and then organize in 3 minutes after people start arriving (or organize in 90 minutes since TIDI). I didn’t get anyone who knew the whole picture, but it seems 7/8 of the ships with medium guns and a good deal of the dreads were able to position themselves so that they were in optimal range of the cyno (for turret ones) or fury or rage range (for missile ones). So basically without the servers bucking, their forces would just take a beating before they could even do anything. Also someone calculated between the super carriers at the cyno point, there would be 5.4 million damage per second from Imperial caps, minus the dreads (meaning counting stuff like fighters and titains). Normally a lot of this DPS would have to slowly get their way over, but in this case they didn’t need to travel far to the cyno. One reddit post claimed the cyno ship showed up uncloaked, but it was without screenshot so I can’t verify this, but if true it would explain why all that Imperials were positioned in the perfect spot. I don’t know if this “forgot to cloak” happen is true and I can’t find anyone who could verify it, but one thing I can verify is the song is awesome.

PvE- active cap stable fit, resists good for getting best return on cap for ehp repaired
PvP with logi- brick tank (focus on resist rather than straight buffer)
PvP- anything goes, but generally falls into buffer, Active, Kite, Sig.

Buffer is more about larger HP numbers combined with decent resists, especially if the ship benefits from %armor increase like Battleship. Adding plates will give you more ehp than more resist mods (still need some resist for best result) Armor buffer usually takes a lot more powergrid for Medium size ships but not for large ships than comparable active fits. Medium size ships are often better served by active fitting an ancillary repper, it will give you more ehp than a 1600mm plate will as long as you live long enough to use it. Hull tanking is the easiest way to make a solo buffer tank, it cant be repped well so its only good for solo, but it gives you way more ehp than armor, no holes, low fit requirement and no cap usage.

Shield buffers are slightly different from armor buffer since you can also get passive recharge on that buffer. Kinda hard to build for solo pvp though, the fits that have loads of passive regen typically have lots of bling like Caldari shield extenders. Really common for PvE since you don’t need to use mids for webs and scrams which makes them much easier to fit.

PvP active fits are hard, require player skill to use. They are not cap stable if you do it right, you need to use overheat to get most out of them and will likely need cap boosters or ancillary shield boosters. For armor specifically use ancillary repair and normal repair at same time. Their advantages are that you can get more ehp out of them than with buffer if you time repairs right and don’t get overwhelmed. They also use less PG on Medium ships.

Sig tanking is about knowing the gunnery and missile damage formulas and therefore how fast you need to move your ship to avoid damage. Generally faster is better, but you need to actually research the formulas to use it because it depends on a ship to ship basis how fast you need to go.

Kiting is simply staying outside of opponents weapon range

Both sig and kites will likely have some active repping too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.