(Actually) Interesting Ideas for Ending the Amarr-Minmatar Conflict

What.

3 Likes

This discussion took a turn for theā€¦ well, wierd.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Do you want me to elaborate?

2 Likes

ā€¦ probably not.

1 Like

Are you sure? Because I can.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure.

2 Likes

What.

2 Likes

ffs, youā€™ve all seen it. That yellow cone of shame thing. He asked for it.

2 Likes

I am so confused. Donā€™t make me get out the orange socks of traffic control.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s supposed to act sort of like a megaphone. It makes those barely audible squeaks of wrath slightly more noticeable, I imagine.

2 Likes

Barely audā€¦

BWAAAAahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2 Likes

Itā€™s stimulating conversations like these that make me question why I work for a living and miss out.

1 Like

The curse of true genius, not being properly appreciated by oneā€™s contemporaries.

3 Likes

I often see people comparing the Amarr-Minmatar conflict to the Gallente-Caldari conflict, but I donā€™t really think the two are comparable.

There doesnā€™t exist in either Gallente or Caldari culture an intractible concept that the other is incapable of conceding to without losing their core identity. The Caldari want their homeworld back, which is a totally reasonable desire, but there exists no Statewide notion that the Federation must be destroyed. For our part, the Federation wantsā€¦ uhā€¦ various things, depending on which group of citizens you ask, but with no group except the U-Nats (who, it should be remembered, are not exactly popular or powerful nor have they been for the best part of two hundred years) believe that we need to ā€œdo something aboutā€ the Caldari.

The Amarr Empire cannot simply abandon the concept of the Reclaiming without abandoning one of the core justifications for their society existing at all. I mean, I think they should do it anyway, because that society is reprehensible, but I will concede that - for the Empireā€™s citizens - to philosophically abandon the Reclaiming is to abandon the concept that the Amarr way of life is innately superior. Given that the Empireā€™s entire justification for the subjugation of other cultures is rooted in the idea of spreading that superior way of life, to abandon it is neccessarily an admission that the Empire has no right to exist, nor did it ever.

8 Likes

well to be honest it seems we are just mirror your way of behaving on foreign cultureā€™s argument.

2 Likes

I agree with you that the two conflicts are very different, but not that an Amarr admission that the Reclaiming was a mistake would indicate that the Empire thus admitted it had no right to exist, ever.

In the distant past, many nations have had a time when slavery was considered a viable option. Perhaps the most well known is the ancient Mannar of your own Federation. Many nations there, when first encountered by the Gallente, were monarchies that practised slavery. As you did with us, you helped provide technological support to overthrow the slavers.

From the time I spent in the Federation, I know that the Mannar are still considered fairly conservative, but are committed founding members of the Federation. Yet they no longer have kings, nor do they have slaves.

The Mannar did not cease to exist - they just grew up.

3 Likes

The difference is that slavery and Monarchy wasnā€™t core to their identities. The Amarr are the Reclaiming. The Reclaiming is a core feature of their identity. The Empire could conceivably forgo both the Rite and the Reclaimingā€¦ but they wouldnā€™t be Amarr. Itā€™d take a cataclysmic change in order for that to happen.

4 Likes

Why must you declare war on us right when Iā€™ve temporarily retired to do peaceful things?

Couldnā€™t you have done this a month earlier?

1 Like

You still have a bounty on you, so you better not be doing peaceful things.

Else Iā€™ll have you bounty you a second time. Wellā€¦ Fourth time.

2 Likes

Sā€™not my fault you fail to keep me apprised of your itinerary, Aldieboo. Besides, Iā€™m sure you remember that old wardec with Electus Matari from ye olden times. This isnā€™t all too likely to be the most actionpacked of adventures for anyone involved.

3 Likes