Advice for Beginners in EVE PvP

I’m a scrub so take this with a grain of salt:

Just fly frigates for a while since they are cheap and you can learn a lot in general that applies to all pvp and get the butterflies out.

Use d-scan. Use zkill etc.

Start with “brawl” fits since you really just need to focus on staying on the target, using correct ammo, and managing reps. also you’ll learn what to avoid.

After a couple months move to “scram kite” and/or “web kite” in frigs. You’ll learn more and probably at this point be able to kill brawlers.

Last learn kiting/nano where you’ll have to pay attention to a lot of things (cap, distances,.velocities, countering slingshot, etc).

Do all that in T1 frigs of your choice but I’d say it’s best to focus on 1 or 2 ships of the same faction (e g. Rifter and slasher or Merlin and condor, etc.). I’d stick to same faction for optimizing what you’re training.

Once you’re comfortable with the 3 styles above you can choose try out other races or move up to destroyers and then cruisers. You can also screw around with some meme fits e.g. “combat exploration ship” et. al.

Oh and once you’re comfortable then start changing up what you’re flying so you won’t easily be zkill sniped.

2 Likes

Bump Nothing to add from me as I’ve just started and come across this thread. Thought it is an excellent thread, so yea, bump.

With 15 years if PVP in this game, i’ve seen it all and done it all and here is some straight up from the heart best advice I can give you! -

Knowledge reigns supreme!!! READ, READ, and READ some more! You must have a complete understanding of the games mechanics! More times than not it will be your knowledge that will determine the outcome of a situation you may find yourself in!

Just about any ship can be deadly! Be a master of whatever ship youre flying. Understand its strengths/weaknesses, have a complete understanding of how its weapon systems work, its defenses, etc… not to sound corny but you have to be one with that motherf*cker!

You wont learn crap in some large nullsec F1 blob! Try to find yourself a small active group of killers who know wtf they are doing and have fun doing it! If you have a good positive attitude and a willingless to learn and be a team player, people will make an exception for a new player.

Eliminate all negativity and fear of loss. Knowledge and experience will breed confidence. Be technical;robotic, non emotional in your decisions. Always look for the tactical advantage. Be patient, look to exploit mistakes!

Welcome to the sickness :smiling_imp:

Razadax

Start with frigates. Theyre cheap and easy to learn the basics with and you can start to get a feel for what type of fighting suits you.

Some of these videos are a few years old but they give you a good idea of the how, what, and why…

Try going on some Spectre Fleet roams.

Good FC’s, good doctrine fits, lots of fun.

I started pvp on fleet corps, when i get the hang of it. The mechanics, the ships to fly, the fit, etc ill start doing it solo blown many ships till i realized soloing pvp was harder because you never know what ship will warp to get you till its too late to run.

And it doesnt matter what ship you used, cause there is no best ship in eve. My fellowmate always said, youll always be killed in the end of the day because theres always someone out there that fitted the right module to kill you.

So, pvp means death… If you doesnt want to died dont go pvp-ing, always docked after successfull kill. Dont go roam the space looking for battle

its always recommended to start with small cheap ships that way you dont light your wallet on fire.

I do a lot of cov ops WH pvp but cov ops is a different breed so lately ive just been getting T1 Destroyers sub 15m and heading to Tama ( a LS system close to Jita). Not the fairest of fights but theres always fights to be had. Theres many play styles , Brawler vs Kite Vs sniper etc etc. Youll run into so many different ships youll slowly learn to read a fight.

BTW Kite is the best!

Hello, I’m a nerd with no life and would like to pvp in a game. Where do I go to sign up?

Where else would you PvP?

1 Like

I FC rookie fleets within the NPSI community. I wrote this up to give brand new people so they can listen for the various commands we give and not feel so lost. Things FCs Say While FCing a PVP Fleet - PVP

Hope it helps someone!

4 Likes

I’d also add “align to outgate” meaning align to the next gate in your route, the one taking you out of the system you’re currently in.

1 Like

I’m just dropping in to say I love how this thread has taken off, and how people are offering good advice on PvP. Thank you all for your contributions. Keep it up! I’ve grown to enjoy PvP in small gang roams, and I’m training on assault frigates and interceptors now.

1 Like

That’s a great write-up.

I’d suggest maybe adding “Hold on the gate/wormhole” to help stop the highly contagious lemming virus that can spread across fleets :slight_smile:

Spreading tackle could be another useful one that newbros won’t be familar with.

1 Like

This is phenomenal. One thing I can recommend to anyone after reading this write-up is to go out with an FC on a small gang fleet. Even if you don’t kill anything, I’ve found navigation and understanding commands clearly is probably 70% of a good PvP gang experience.

After that is probably understanding what types of ships are what, followed closely by what sorts of weapons ships will work with. That can be somewhat daunting, and I don’t pretend to have even a small handle on it all, but the more you fly with a variety of ships, the more familiar you’ll get with what ships are appropriate for different roles.

One thing that absolutely helps with a gang or fleet is to cut the chatter. I believe the term my FC uses is “combat comms.” We’ll be flying through highsec or wherever to get to our filament point, mostly chatting and telling stories, but at a certain point the FC will say “Combat comms,” which is code for “Shut up unless it’s relevant to the fleet.” One of the more irritating things in a gang or fleet is not being able to hear simple, one-word commands (like “Jump”) because some knucklehead thinks his irrelevant story or opinion is more important.

1 Like

Covered that in the align, align but I’ll make sure to add in/out gate as well to the list.

1 Like

Good one. I totally forgot hold on gate like a dummy. And spread tackle is also a good one!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.