Afterburner visual cues

So, I was taking a look around some eve audio files and some other videos, and I realized that there isn’t any visual cues to when a player uses an afterburner (Or MWD, but it is quite obvious for this case), I was thinking that using some of the old booster effects, like the one in the first screenshot, might be something worth of a addition

rifter booster

2 Likes

+1

Add a teeny bit of shakiness as well, make it feel like I’m on effin’ roids

But why?

His velocity can be seen in the overview …
… or easily glanced just from seeing him moving.

The visual clue is there, you just don’t realize it.
It’s the speed at which his ships’ pixels are moving.

Gain some experience!

The same reason that there’s little ship animations when certain ships go into warp. Or that there’s a really unique look and feel to abyssal space. Sometimes it’s the little things, bro, that add up to a more engaging experience.

Man, there’s so many doom-and-glooming nay-saying negative Nancies in a forum that’s literally dedicated to discussing ideas. This is literally just some immersion polish.

1 Like

I don’t know why you’re unnecessarily exaggerating.

Gaining experience is more important than having everything indicated so you don’t need to spend a fraction of a second thinking for yourself. The OP is simply either not willing to gain the experience, or doesn’t understand that he should.

Fact of the matter is that this visual indicator is beyond necessity …
… because all it takes is spending half a second looking at the ship …
… to know if it’s running an AB, a MWD or none of either.

Man, there’s so many doom-and-glooming nay-saying negative Nancies in a forum that’s literally dedicated to discussing ideas. This is literally just some immersion polish.

Exactly, pretty much like the guys who take the “eve has sound?” meme seriously, how would a new player feel if the game they’re playing doesn’t even have sound?

The OP is simply either not willing to gain the experience , or doesn’t understand that he should.

I do a lot of PvP, and I know it is easy to tell, but would you like to play a game where everytime 2 ships going at it with each other no effects are appearing and only damage calculations are? looks pretty soulless and bland to me.

I don’t even know why you’re bringing this up, because it has nothing to do with the topic.

You can’t use this as an argument for your point. Not adding yet one more thing that removes the need of players to think for themselves does not invalidate everything that’s actually useful. What you’re bringing up is not useful. It’s useless. All that’s needed to know if a, or which, propmod is being used, is looking at the ship’s movement for half a second. A glance on the overview works, or simply looking at it in space.

People do not gain more experience by having everything shown in front of them.
People need to learn to think for themselves and react accordingly.

Your idea adds nothing, but removes something.
It removes the need to gain experience.

You should familiarize yourself with this post: Welcome to Player Features & Ideas

Specifically, the part where it says:

• Constructive feedback is good.
  • Posting “That’s an awful idea,” is not constructive.

All that’s needed to know if a, or which, propmod is being used, is looking at the ship’s movement for half a second.

You’re contradicting yourself there, if you can look at overview, you can look at the effect, how can it be useless then?

I like it.

EVE has a lot of visual cues such as the turrets on the ship showing enemies the equipped weapon type, shield resistance fields around the ship for hardeners, missiles flying towards their targets, etc. While it is possible to play without any visuals and play with UI information only, it would be nice to be able to visually check whether the enemy is using an afterburner or is using a MWD at less than maximum speed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.