AIR NPE - Improved New Player Experience

The new skill window looks like a mobile game ui, can’t be resized propperly and ignores my ui color settings.
The fold up arrow button on the new character sheet works the wrong way around - folding / hiding the actual information while my avatar stares at me like he’s got a stick up is ass.

Keep the skills within the carakter sheet - noone asked for MORE WINDOWS.

1 Like

yeah, basically.

I do like these expanded efforts into making the game more new-player friendly.

BUT, the main task you need to battle is the lack of rules and enforcement of rules! New gamers and older gamers trying out games these days WILL not stand other players taking advantage of them.
For new players to last, they need to be protected from any and all kinds of scamming, ganking, false information and other kinds of deceitful behaviors.

EVE Online has always embraced the way of how people can be anything they want. It has always been a liberal and lawless place.
But the behavior your older players have in-game would NEVER be allowed in new games. Who would want to play a game where other players can completely destroy your own experience just for their own amusement or in an effort to make a quick buck. There are even people who endorse and promote abusive actions like these in various help channels.

PVP Should be an option for players in various areas in game, but never in high security zones like starter areas.

1 Like

in a game more and more designed for multibox, its always nice to bring fresh content for the vets

the data says otherwise

Ok, so. New observation for @CCP_Aurora @CCP_Convict and @CCP_Dopamine:

At 88% hull, I ejected from the Astero and started slowboating away. I got 7k from the Machariels before the ship exploded.

I am currently 160km from the Machariels, continuing to slowboat off at 172 m/s. The two machariels are sitting there, perfectly idle. They are not tracking my pod. I believe this means their scripting tells them to look for the pod that spawns as part of the Astero’s destruction. Spawning your pod beforehand prevents the scripted behavior from applying to that pod.

Also, I suspect that if you only kill 1 of the Dramiels, or ignore them completely and go straight for the Scorpions while there are still defenders to fight with them, it might be possible to break the scorps quickly enough that the Stratios and possibly the last Brutix will still be up when the last scorp dies.

1 Like

Getting inception flashbacks lol. Same issues all over again. If you don’t follow script it all breaks. Wondering if “redo” button will also be back.

Well, the Machariels definitely won’t shoot back at you until Aura tells you to ECM them. Kinda why I think if you go off-script early enough, you can break the whole thing wide open by keeping the defenders alive.

Also, in case anyone’s wondering: it is NOT a deadspace pocket. I just warped back to the can to see if the machs would target me. They did not.

Just as a follow-up: IF THIS HAPPENS, you are screwed. When you reconnect, you’ll load into the tutorial space… but no Aura. No tutorial. Full, normal UI. No progression. No way out except presumably self-destruction.

Ok first thing, board Astero. Aight.

Second approach ship to get repped by Balin Ferrus… man this takes forever, he’s in an osprey, why is he waiting, I’m like 15k from him that can rep that far… oh ok you’re gonna wait until I’m 2k away.

Autowarp to place, cool… oh what’s that?

“The location’s cosmic abnormalities will mask our warp signatures from detection…”
Yeah so that’s not really a thing in this game, but it’s the third thing you teach newbies about, ok that’s cool.

Approach the thing 60k away in a 350ms ship, ok… be a while, oh autoscan after a moment. Alright, whatever.

“All ships fit for combat orbit me”… but my astero appears unfit. Am I fit for combat?

Oh I do have modules, that was a bit weird.

Now within weapons range… at 19k with a falloff of 4.68k

Frigates came in, shooting them… can’t seem to die because reps, turns out he can rep at 15k, wonder if I can outrange him. Also, could these frigates die faster, that’s kinda slow.

Ok he seems to mwd when you get him off range.

Cruiser down, slooow.

Burn to battleships… Ok, sure, but really could I get an MWD instead of an afterburner?

Ok slowboated to the battleships, did the ecm, died. Now in sttaion in duripant but I can’t do anything. Relog?
Ok relog refreshed the Ui and let me continue with the hitting board corvette button.

Ok so they give me a skill and an injector… But tell me to hit a greyed out button https://i.imgur.com/TCBytNz.png
Close window, reopen and the button refreshes.
Wait, suddenly I have 25k sp, as well as an AIR skill injector in the hangar.

4 Likes

New Player Experience Mk5

When I board astero, I have no afterburner or a gun. Is that working as intended? It takes ages to get anywhere. I’m crawling to Balin Ferrus at the speed of 333m/s, he is 20km from me. What is that supposed to mean? I assume newbies want to play a computer game, not staring at the screen waiting for god knows how long to get to a random guy. Give us an afterburner from the beginning, please, it gives us something to do, actually speeds up the rendez-vous and makes us to feel as if we’re in control of the ship. It’s slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow and boring!!!

Balin says: “All ships enter warp formation.” What is required from me? What am I supposed to do? Why not to add “Take this warp” to hint that nothing is expected from me? Then nothing happens (seemingly). Then suddenly, AFTER A DELAY, I am finally told “warp drive active”. Warp is slow and it doesn’t look like a warp at all. I can walk faster ffs. What are you doing, CCP?

Balin says: cosmic storm blah blah go and approach this signal’s source. Please highlight again how to use approach, please! Yes, I’ve been already shown what “approach” means, but repeating it doesn’t hurt. Also, give me bloody afterburner!!! Gaaah!!! At this time I’d have left the game already.

I’m being sent to check the anomaly, then Balin tells me to orbit him, wtf? What should I do then?

Aura says “Captain, hostiles inbound”. Where are they? I can’t see them on the overview neither in space (until much later). So I’m left without seeing what’s going on. This is extremely confusing. LET THE ENEMIES SHOW ON THE GRID FIRST!!!

As I’m without the afterburner, if I actually start orbiting the frigates like Aura said, it will take ages to get there , and at the end I will end up flailing behind them as they progress towards the enemies.

I click on the frigate, “select the enemy” as Aura tells me to, and then I click on “orbit”. And nothing happens. No progress. I can’t continue a tutorial for the game I play for 7 years. Jesus.

At this point I gave up. I can’t progress with the hostile frigates. I have no afterburner. I have no guns. I am somewhere in space, slowly drifting towards nowhere with almost no control over the capabilities of my ship, frustrated, confused and about to install Elite Dangerous.

I’m really sorry because you guys clearly put a lot of effort into it, but this just doesn’t work. Please make the tutorial faster. This is horrible. Give us that bloody afterburner from the beginning like you did in previous NPE and teach us how to use it. Make warp realistic. Make Balin’s commands realistic and relevant to actual EVE experience and lingo. Make us not feel like we’re just passengers.

3 Likes

Khm, ~ 1.5 years ago there were 5x step new pilot training course, started new toon not long ago - ups, just one left, and very bugged at start, had to log few times till solved first training mission. Hope, this will improve that experience.
BUT - if “new blood” is so important for EVE, do any1 care about new players satisfaction (countless scams, bugged trade window, “duelists”), what lead to lose of countless newcomers? I know, EVE is built about all possible human sins, but - it do not helps to grow player base, unfortunately…
And - guys, it is 21 century, who wants to be no1 for ages? O.k., well for few months, even on “omega”? Todays younglins want it all right now, or at least - till tomorrow morning… In my opinion there should be kinda 2.5m SP instantly, next 2.5m - at least on “omega” training speed (double for omegas) and cap ~ at 7.5, or even 10m SP. Well, crying “omegas”, if you fear of 3m “alphas”, probably you are doing something completely wrong, with your 100m and up. And if some1 says - drone skill nerf for “alphas” made life for “omegas” much safer - they lie. It does limited content, “alphas” can do - thats for sure, but only… And it do not helps to grow count of players as well… Maybe it`s time for EVE to stop countless nerfs, and start to invent improvements?
Just my, returned alphas, 5 cents…

I approached Balin. He repaired me. Then nothing. Sitting in space in silence. Don’t know how i broke it.

The couple minutes i managed to play were nice for a single player game or epic arc, but i too felt they misrepresented the game. Talk of the station being attacked by ships with cloaked transponders has no connection with what happens in the wider game, as much as i wish it did.

Also, the UI is limited, but i can still set safety to red. Probably shouldn’t be able to do that.

3 Likes

Nothing happens after being repaired by Balin in space. Sat there waiting for Aura to say do this or that but nothing.
I clicked on another ship and station thinking I had to interact with that but all it did was make me approach it, I had no idea of what to do next.
Ship stopped indicated 172 m a sec however I was stopped so maybe an issue there.
After 10 minutes of trying to work out what to do I had no way of exiting the game, only option was open task manager in windows and then stop the game that way.
The graphics were okay but I felt a bit disconnected from the start as Aura was not saying we need to do this or do that, after I was repaired, maybe I was stuck in some loop.

1 Like

Loving it at the moment. The only problem is that after getting remote repped by the osprey, I have no idea what to do. I’m just sitting parked next to the osprey with no idea what to do and this is coming from a veteran, so new players will find this MUCH harder.

2 Likes

Three years, and this is what you came up with?

window

No introduction to who or what A.I.R. is or what they do or any other kind of background lore information.
If we don’t know why we’re here or what we’re doing then how are we supposed to care?

The chaotic scene makes seeing any other ships on-grid next to impossible. It’s just a big, confusing, RBG rainbow puke mess.

Boarding a ship, ok fair enough.

Being remote repaired, ok fair enough.

“Enter warp formation”??? That’s not a thing. Just give players something to ALIGN to!

“natural phemonena preventing scanning”??? That’s not a thing.
Why are you telling new players about game mechanics that don’t exist?

Bad guys show up. Cool! (so much for the natural phenomena preventing them finding us, eh?)

Being told to orbit right away from a long distance out instead of approaching first. BAD.

Not being told to web the frigates but being told to web the cruiser. WHY?

Being told about ECM is fine but why two battleships instead of one? Jamming one of them won’t stop the other one from killing the civilian transport.

Getting rekt takes far, far, far too long. It’s just boring.

Pod express, fair enough.

“Study ship’s attributes” Ok cool. Oh, you’re not actually going to explain any of this? LOL.

Module you can’t use. Instant introduction to monetization injectors. But no instruction to find the injector in item hangar and activate it.

The new skill UI is HORRIFIC
Unintuitive, bland and confusing, all at the same time.

Career Agents still the same old dumpster fire that they have been for years.

8 Likes

Tear the bandaid off. Help new players. Give them SP.

Give pilots fitting skills. It’s dumb.

Give pilots the magic 14. A trained muninn pilot shouldn’t be able to lock something faster than an untrained frigate.

Give them all the frigates to 3 to start out with. My Immersion! We’ve already broken that by moving away from the storyline of the factions by adding all these trig/edencomm stuff.

Maybe you’re worried about alts. Maybe it is only on the first char of an account.

Oh, and maybe, just maybe, collapse accounts into a single account with multiple characters accessible, only able to login how many subs you’re paying for. The gulf to start a new account is staggering for newbies and they struggle with the basics. The idea of a Jita alt is never explained but used by nearly everyone.

Add missions that train people how to do the different roles in fleets.

• disruptor vs scrambling - Not covered in NPE
  • webifying - not emphasized enough in the NPE
  • damping
  • painting
  • ECM - covered in NPE
  • reps, maybe NPC repping them during a mission Nevermind, in the NPE, really well done.
  • the power of the links through an NPC alt helping them?

Got this error message while playing “Unable to connect to the selected server. Please check the address and try again.”

Bugs I found in the NPE.

• When you first start, you cannot go back to choosing the faction by slogan. You should be able to. It’s confusing. It should be the first bullet point in the upper left corner. You have to close the creator to restart it. Or have a box pop up that says ‘are you sure’. or something.
  • Consider adding a cruiser and destroyer to every race’s screen. i realize it’s late, but a cruiser and destroyer are the first things that these pilots are going to move towards.
  • Gallente emphasizes blasters when they should be making railguns argument there too.
  • All of the different groups second line ‘with the right training’ on all the lines are pointless. It’s better to point out which groups they are best cross trained with. ‘Gallente pilots can pilot Amarr ships through armor tanking and good at Caldari ships for using railguns. Even though they are mortal enemies.’ something along those lines. Emphasize the lore, while helping them understanding the mix.
  • Force choice in Education in the upper right of the character appearance section, otherwise people default to something.
  • I like the choice of the astero as a starter ship. really good. good looking ship, great to fly, something different. :slight_smile:

I’ll add on more as I go through it.

edit:

• You start off with 25k SP, and so you don’t realize the AIR injector has been given to you. So easy to leave it behind.
  • It defaults to train to level 2 of repair, which isn’t necessary. Level 1 is enough. Honestly not important for new capsuleers. But you are FORCED to learn level 2, regardless, to get to the rest of the skill plans.
  • Does not give them a second skill to train right away and does not emphasize keeping the skill training queue full.
  • Not fully closing the mission status window is good. but missing an icon on it.

• The fact that you cannot add skill plans at ALL until you have ALL The skill books is stupid. And the default skill books is above the amount you kind of start out with as it covers infomorph psychology which is 1.3 mil.

• need to add a ‘buy off market’ option instead of the instant inject side.

• If opportunities are new to this patch, they are straight trash. ‘mine Jaspet 5,000 m^3 worth’ when none is near newbie space. And if you refresh on sisi:

• Building the skill plans do not allow you to copy in from clipboard, or export them to clipboard. They also don’t show the skills planned unless you have them injected. This is a very clunky interface.

7 Likes

why dont we have a serious talk huh?

Wouldn’t this one be covered in the damping section?

I don’t see why we would need a separate one for ecm explaining

“Just use damps unless you’re using ecm drones”

1 Like