AIR NPE - Improved New Player Experience

well I found an interesting bug where you can see the outside of a station…

2 Likes

One question: When people lose their ship and get podded by the NPE, do they get to see the Get Stronger PLEX ad?

2 Likes

I guess I’ll type while I experience it, else I might forget some parts.

Intro video: I’ve read the 3 or 4 first comments before starting this feedback comment, and I have to say the low video quality also struck me.

Boarding an Astero in tutorial ? Joy ! Beautiful Skin! The thought of creating 20 accouts and Omega all of them flew into my veins!
Destruction of the Astero : Rage and deception. My keyboard is in pieces… Using a spare now. No new account will be created and my actual Omega accounts will expire in 2-5 days from now, as it was already planned before beginning the NPE. ( :stuck_out_tongue: )
(predict an Astero as login rewards in September… or is it a suggestion/request to the devs? :smiley: … don’t forget to include the skin please :laughing: )

Throughout the enconter and battle with the hostiles before I got podded, the Aura/Balin cinematics and battle action went slower and slower (very low fps). Not fun at all. I have to admit I was running 3 accounts on Tranquility at the same time, and 1 other account on Singularity. But still, I have no issue multi-boxing on Tranquility doing my stuff (I’m that guy who took the bait and bought 1 month Omega on all my noob-ish accounts when there was 235mil ISK to grab as login rewards (all 4-5 month old accounts who had reached 5mil SP and were stuck there as a limit on Alpha account. I was waiting for an Omega sale anyway to finish training these accounts for L3 missions. So sorry not sorry to those who didn’t like that ISK injection into the game, but to me it was a great boost) . So I’ve been enjoying multi-boxing a lot in the past 4 weeks, and I only see slowness when I start another game.

Waking up in the station: further deception to board my corvette and not an shiny new Astero in recognition of my heroic actions to save those civilians. Positive side of it: the noobs will finaly understand they can get a new corvette whenever they lose their ship. No need to pay 20k ISK on the market to a scammer who likes to take advantage of their ignorance of the game’s feature. (looking at you, scammers…)

Getting a free module from the AIR vice something (Vesper Calytrix)
Now… I chose my favorite faction: Caldari. And I get a nice little… wait, what is this? An armor repairer? Why is it I’m not getting a shield booster??? Seriously ? Thanks for the free skill book though, but still. Career agents ususally give faction oriented modules as rewards for some missions. It would make sense to do the same here.

Farewell, Aura. Now docked in a career system station. At the end of the tutorial, we usually have earned 160k ISK from the tutorial. Now we are broke and only have 5k. Is it possible to raise that to 160k (ish) by default ? Please ? With no ISK from the tutorial, I’d see no reason to do the tutorial if I ever create new alts in the future. I’ve created a bunch in my first 6 months playing Eve, and doing the tutorial each time for that kickstart in ISK and the possibility to buy some skill book right away.

1AM here now, and cluster shut down.

I’ll check tomorrow if you have FINALLY added pointers to the Scanner Probe window when we do the Exploration Career path… (a request I made to @Mike_Azariah a few times in rookie chat, apparently he asked you about this already, but you seemed not open to such enhancement to NPE (or he had to answer that because of an NDA, who knows). Please, listen to him ! :smiley: )
Ok, back… Did mission 1 real quick. No pointers… :sleepy:

Suggestion : Great opportunity to have the Sister of Eve lady to interact with us, like Aura does during the tutorial. She could help the noobs interactively during all 5 of the exploration missions, instead of being a simple popup text window on mission 2 to 5). Of course, with an option/toggle to shut her off for the vets who already master exploration (or those who might rage about not having a toggle off option).

2 Likes

No subtitles for opening low-quality video. I’m deaf.

Language inappropriate, at least if we’re not allowed to swear in Help or for a game that’s 13+: “screwed” means “■■■■■■”. “■■■■”. “Bastards have me pinned down”. No consistency if you allow swearing here and yet it’s against MOTD in help channels.

Language load is too high - not everybody is a native-English speaker with a reading age of 18+ or whatever it is. Have the dialog available in Simplified English as well as an option maybe.

Aura is not a native-English speaker according to her lip patterns. She’s speaking gobbledeygook, and no known European language that I can discern. Maybe it’s Icelandic.

Into the action sequences.

Why teach about webifiers (what is this, why am I doing it ?) when you have barely used a weapon yet ? What is this beam that is making my red go away, is it a good thing ? The present version is MUCH better in this respect - keep it simple, and don’t worry about fleets (which don’t work like this in-game anyways) Just target not-autosythians, and destroy them, loot the wreck. fine - as at present.

ECM ?! Yah. Played the game for 18 months and never used ECM as I mine and trade. Yet here it is within the first ten minutes of a very slow tutorial. Get rid. Have a tutorial part 2 after so many hours’ gameplay to introduce such things maybe.

Anyway, I got the faction frigs and the destroyer, and did what Arrendis did and left the astero. Could go no further.

Tried for several tens of minutes to re-start the tutorial, then did the WormHole special, and self-destructed.

Back to Ryddingjorn.

Ended up buying a Gnosis and some lasers and some skills as they are only 100isk on Serenity and I only had 5,000 isk, so projectile ammo was out at 100isk/round, haha. All the while using rt-click for any in-game actions as the rest of the interface was offline and the dialog “bastards have pinned me down” was stuck on-screen.

Some time later, deep into nullsec and having encountered the ESS system (unsuccessfully), I fought several waves of rats with mixed success, but still alive, when I triggered the next phase in the tutorial - Aura was asking me to do something which was impossible as I was in the Kevala Expanse.

I logged off after nearly 2 hours, and when I logged back in, my full interfaces, overview, market were all restored, and I was floating in nullsec in a damaged Gnosis. I should have bought Faction crystals, but never mind :slight_smile:

My view - stick with the present tutorial as it’s more appropriate.

As for the career agents, never got to see them.

The skills interface thing was terrible - dump it. Not at all intuitive, and very difficult to navigate. Took me ten minutes to get my laser skills in queue once I’d bought them. I’m not going to be participating in Help channels any longer if I have to support that piece of poop.

Have any of the designers actually trained real people ? Suggest getting a real-life training consultant on board.

1 Like

f ock ed and sh 1 t and I can’t even say them here, yet there they are in-tutorial

Oh, yes - the gameplay in-tutorial was noticeably laggy on my present machine - needs greater system resources, which I don’t currently have. Lagginess stopped after re-log when back in restored-interface not-tutorial regular play.

Otherwise, good job :slight_smile:

I didn’t see it under known issues but the sound quality has changed on the test server. Sounds coming off other ships nearby sound very tinny. I verified my sounds are fine on the main server and the settings are exactly the same in the game menu. I use a BlueTooth headset (Sony WH-1000XM4).

The fonts and docking windows do not scale with the resolution in the skill window. I know this is basically Alpha at this stage but the interface seems even harder for new players to figure out. Regarding resolutions, Please don’t forget some of us don’t play at 1920x1080. You have done a great job in the past with multi-resolutions so I hope it’s just an alpha testing thing.

@CCP: Whatever you introduce here, please make sure it can be deactivated (and reactivated if one wants). Especially the UI reveal feature is mostly disturbing to me.

I am an experienced EVE pilot and create new characters from time to time. The current implemented new player system is already painful to get out and get something done if you do not want to follow the introduction. It pops up on every login for a week or two after the new char creation and you can’t currently switch it of. I hope the new system will not be more annoying than the old in that use case that you don’t want and need it!

Very low fps. Very unclear CPU load. The mission was completed the second time. Repair and warp bug. Bug with learning skills. At the first bug - when you re-enter the game, the entire hidden interface opens, there is no way to leave the mission. If you do not correct technical errors, the beginner will not go further at all.

RQeaKU7VRJA

Yeah, now that you mention this. I didn’t see neither the blue fleet or the hostiles in Overview. I had to select a ship in space, right click and add to Overview. Separately for the blue and red. The name of the entities are different, so they may have forgot to add them to the general/default overview setting.

A new player will never have the intuition to add to overview.

1 Like

What are you talking about? This is not a game mechanic, this is not a feature. This is probably a strategy from players with the intent of doing something. This has no place in a game tutorial. Leave this to youtubers to explain/share their strategy.

2 Likes

NPE day 2.

So before going to bed last night, I had (almost) completed the tutorial and mission 1 of Exploration career agent (actually I didn’t had time to dock with the mission proof, before the cluster shut down.

So when I logged in today, I was like 1000km away from the station in space.

Right away, I’m offered to select an opportunity :

• reprocessing 10000 m3 or pyroxeres (yes, m3, not unit, this means 2 trips in a venture holding 16666 unit in ore hold + 2 unit in cargo hold, both trips)… or 84 trips in my shiny new Ibis.
  • complete 4 level 1 security agent missions.
  • manufacture 1000 charges.

Tell me this has nothing to do with NPE, please. Especially to a newbro who just completed the tutorial and has yet to do the career agents.

I put myself in the skin of a newbro.

• I have no clue what pyroxeres are and no clue what processing is at this stage. I have no Venture yet and technically no knowledge the Venture ship is a thing. There is a “?” icon with a tooltip that tells me I need to “Research a blueprint…” For reprocessing, really??? This is misleading. Newbros are going to ask in rookie chat where to find the blueprint for reprocessing and how to research for them.
  • I don’t know how to find a security agent, but thankfully the little “?” with a tooltip that tells me to check the Agency with a button to it, good. But since I only have a corvette with a civilian gun and a civilian miner, I might think I’ll be good to go with that, since the game sending me do that. After all, I’ve been told by the AIR vice something that the corvette was a great combat ship in replacement of the Astero. These security missions will be like a walk in the park, most certainly…
  • At this stage of a newbro, I should have no clue that blueprints are a thing in this game, and that it is what you need (+ the materials) to “craft” something. If I’ve done some other mmo, I probably suspect I need to know the recipe or something, but I would have no idea what is the whole process and how to access the “manufacture”. Again, putting myself in the skin of a newbro, in his first hour (or two… this tutorial is so slow!) of playing the game.

Poor volunteer of the rookie chat… what a burden you are giving them.

3 Likes

Yeah, the wording here leave me thinking they are going to remove the career agents completely. When it only needs to be rework a bit with better explanation on what to do, and from time to time maybe add pointers/highlight the UI objects the new player has presumably not used yet after the tutorial (exploration, manufacture, etc.)

Still, I like the career agents as it is now as they, look and feel similar to the other agents. The military career agent give you a good feeling of what a security agent is like. Business and industrial give a feeling of what mining and distribution agents are.

Plus, the new tutorial give you 0 ISK (you only have the initial 5k), while the previous one gave you 155k (for a total of 160k in your wallet at the end of the tutorial.

Similarly, the Carrer Agents gives you many ships, ammo and blueprints, modules and somewhere around 11m ISK. Plus all the loot from dead NPC, as the current (Tranquility) tutorial teach you how to loot… You are pretty much ready to do any regular agent (or whatever, you want from combat anomalies, exploration, mining, etc), and move your stuff to another station if you wish/need.

2 Likes

Reflection.

What do you want the newbros to learn from a tutorial ?

Is fleet “Warp formation” more important than to learn basic action like loot the wreck of a baddy you just killed?

Isn’t the use of webifier covered in Advance Military career agent ? (and warp disruptor, and remote armor repair/remote shield boost (though, shield boost to repair a ship is nonsense / a mission with an objective relevent to the faction prefered tank boost might make sense).

Shouldn’t you add a new mission to the Advance Military agent to cover ECM, instead of introducing an advance fleet module in a tutorial ?
The ECM is not really a solo player module, as you are the only target on grid for the waves of NPC in a mission or combat site. And it’s not like you can ECM all the NPC to prevent them to agro your drones.

Teaching fleet stuff, though important (I’m still clueless of what I was doing in the last 2 mass tests…), it feels a bit too advance for a tutorial.

I kinda understand now that you want to kill the career sgents. Sadly. Fleet stuff had it’s place with advance military.

Though the new look of the tutorial is fantastic, I don’t see how it really is going to help understand the game and basic mechanics. The current (Tranquility) tutorial do a much better job. Less the deception of losing a magnificient Astero and learning later that the Astero actually requires skills you don’t have and is not cheap (for a newbro)

4 Likes

We are used to it

m

1 Like

This can’t be repeated often enough. The CA are still the best introduction into all things EVE there are, and based on CCP’s performance with this yet again new tutorial they will not be able to replace them properly. Instead of @CCP_Aurora telling people that they will go away, it would be more appropriate to tell us what CCP specifically has come up with (not planned, not dreamed up, not hoped for – actually done and working on) to give new people the same in-depth and comprehensive introduction to all sorts of mechanics of EVE.

THIS is the actual NPE rework that EVE needs. No one needs yet another flashy and deceptive tutorial, the existing one does a good enough job at deceiving people and giving them ample wrong information (does the new tut still tell people to autopilot around?). What EVE really needs are better CA that are, for one, updated for contemporary mechanics and UI changes, and secondly expanded up with more missions and maybe types that explain yet more things about EVE in a non-deceptive manner as the current CA do.

3 Likes

I went through this last night, so this is what stuck with me.

CCP, what you need is not player feedback.

You can play this yourself, in your office and just… start fixing things that come up. You can just notice these things yourself.

I liked the part in the station where you get told how to skill and fit the repairer.

In the introduction, the combat took way too long for a scripted experience. It took me multiple minutes to die, just watching the damage ticks whittle me down. Boring. Even 10 seconds for a clearly obviously scripted death is an eternity.

I’m assuming the astero was used because it’s a “neutral good guy” ship? You could make the player more powerful so that it’s realistic to take on cruisers and battleships. The ship will blow up anyway.

The design of overview, story dialogue windows and other stuff is jarringly different, I wouldn’t be surprised if people thought it was bugged/broken.

Ah right, and the “I am aura, I am a robot, [robot joke]”, “I am Aura let me make a [human joke]” is annoying. Just cut those.

CCP introduces this AIR NPE, even goes so far as to create a new NPC corp for it. Are all new players now pushed exclusively into this AIR corp or are they still being split between the 24 empire starter corps?

Not a corp we can join. So same default corps.
Unless they release new content about AIR, there is nothing about them once you are done with the tutorial.