Just some feedback odd and ends from a new player

First, as someone that plays a lot of MMOs, I want to say the early NPE is fantastic. Especially with the limited resources that smaller games have, it’s very rare to find one so well done. A very good job to the team that worked on that.

However, things do get a little less smooth when moving to career agents. As an example, I was told to use a “Sensor Overlay” by an agent. Hmm. Well where do I find that? I look at the buttons on my screen… ah there’s a tactical overlay, perhaps it’s near that? Hm, no. Well here’s a button that talks about scanners and probes, maybe there? Still no…

I eventually asked people and found I had to click a tiny hamburger menu to enable it. And this is one example but at the career agent stage there’s a bunch of things like this - it could really use some polishing up and explaining of where things are (and, perhaps, a little UI reorganization to make how things are placed or grouped a bit more intuitive). It’s not terrible but there’s definitely some easy wins to be had on improving it too.

Now this next bit is a little more macro, and I’ve seen other players’ discussions around how Eve’s universe is too big - so what I’m about to say probably won’t be well liked, but I hope it will at least be considered.

When I first heard of wormholes, I was utterly enchanted by the idea of them. But, as I’ve learned more and talked about them with other players, that notion’s been chipped away at more and more. They’ve “solved”, people will say, and it seems that they are indeed thoroughly figured out and minmaxed. They’re not untamable frontiers lived in by hardy, independent residents… they’re well connected and well supplied, allies are never far, and so forth.

And then there’s nullsec. Also not exactly the frontier I at first thought/hoped. All the edges of the map filled in. Now, please do helped me out if my observations are incorrect, but let’s say a friend group starts playing eve. We’ll call it a pretty big one, say 20 to 30 people? There’s nowhere they could really go to establish themselves - maaaybe somewhere very resource poor, but probably not even that. In part because everywhere’s also claimed… but also because they’d just get their faces kicked in. Probably even after they’d all been playing for a year, from what I can tell.

So, how cool would it be if a medium-sized group of year old players could find a corner of the universe, plant their flag and build a little empire?

How cool would it be if even day 1 players could do that?

Eve is great in concept, but I think the dream loses a lot of its luster when you find out it’s all locked down by long time established players, and at best you can hope to join them.

A larger universe also doesn’t have to be a trade off with pvp. So long as there are objectives to play around, pvp would happen even if eve took a leaf from some other online space games and went for a size on the order of millions or billions of systems to visit and, perhaps, inhabit.

And that also ties in with exploration. I think the minigames involved are super cool. I’ve never played anything quite like it. But also I can do a day of exploration, and be lucky to find so much as a half-finished data site. I suspect this ties in with the above - The Eve 'verse is too small. It gets picked clean. There’s only a few systems on the starmap that haven’t been visited within the last hour.

Both for content and for that frontier feeling… how great would it be if you could find systems that hadn’t been visited in a week? Or even… ever? The latter’s not impossible as it may seem with a static starmap - another online pvp spaceship game does it and only about 0.018% of its star systems have ever been visited.

But supposing Eve’s technical side isn’t up to supporting that or it’s not done for other reasons… it still would be neat if there were truly remote areas to explore, places that don’t get visited every day or even every week. Just as it would be neat if there were places a group could establish themselves without simply joining up with someone else.

All in all Eve seems like a decent game. But for me currently, it doesn’t look like it will be more than a side fling for when things are slow in my main (unless I learn things that drastically change my understanding of the game). But the concept… I think Eve could be truly magical. It’s got the right setting for a vast frontier, and banding together to establish oneself in it… if it can only realize it.

3 Likes

EVE is plenty big enough. There are roughly 8,000 systems and only 20k or so players online. Thats not even 3 players per system. As far as all of the real estate being taken up, well, that’s to be expected because EVE is a 20 year old game. If EVE were bigger and had millions of systems like No Man’s Sky, PVP would be dead because you would rarely encounter another player.

Side note: I’ve also played No Man’s Sky for thousands of hours and I’ve never encountered another player. Ever.

Did this in wh with fewer people, the problem with wormholes isn’t that they are all lived in and solved but rather they have decade to the point that there isn’t any content left. If you have a dedicated group willing to work for your content they work out just fine.

Outside of that faction warfare lowsec is great for a new group to set up weather or not they enlist with a faction.

In the greater scape no, a day one player isn’t going to be able to start building an empire. And no it wouldn’t be great if they could. The reason eves empires are talked about even outside the game is because of the amount of work that goes into them.

They also aren’t as static or oppressive as your post let’s on. They have risen and fallen many times and new groups take their place.

But don’t focus on an empire just work on one step at a time. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to take a handful of systems. It’s harder to hold them but as the invading force you literally have nothing to lose and attrition will be on your side.

The block i see time and time again in eve is people being afraid to take that next step and just stagnate comfortably until they get board.

Yeah you and your friends may spend several billion on ships and fits and ultimately not complete the objective. But so long as you had fun doing it you can make that isk again and have another go with more knowledge and hopefully more friends.

1 Like

Well, if you spent millions of real world dollars on the game, a day one player might be able to build an empire.

1 Like

Just set up shop in some random Amarr or Khanid system, which are both pretty much dead these days. Place a couple or three Athanors and presto, there’s your little empire.

Good points.

Yes, we’ve been asking for these little blips to be cleaned up for years. However it may be that having some little missing bits early on, which encourages new players to ask for help, so they get the idea there’s a community out there that does help… might not be so bad.

On one level, EVE is ‘too big’. Given the 7,800 systems and number of players online, quite a few locations are tumbleweed-ghost-towns. Yes, everything has been explored, and most places worth exploiting are being exploited. However there are still systems in Null and wormholes that are pretty dead. Or you can find a less active entity in a WH and “evict” them to take control - which would be the perfect project for your 20-30 person corp.

The starmap is populated roughly in proportion to how “convenient” it is. Anything close to hubs, or to the big active Nullsec regions, or WHs with easy access/static links; is going to be controlled. Usually by people well able to defend it - otherwise someone else would have taken it from them.

If you want systems that haven’t been visited, places with more anomalies, or space that’s not totally dominated, you have to start exploring and searching into the farther reaches.

This is mostly true and is one of the primary factors affecting EVE player counts. However it’s not the complete picture. And of course, it’s also possible for groups of established and new players to join together into a decent sized force and do some locking down of their own.

Exploration is RNG, but this is also a factor of “the road less travelled”. If you’re anywhere near a common travel route, everything along that path and nearby systems will be picked clean.

What EVE does is have a set number of anomalies etc. per ‘region’ or ‘constellation’ (there’s some discussion on exactly which). So when someone completes one, it pops up a short time later in another random system within that group.

Over time, the most-travelled systems have less, and the least-travelled, farthest, or ‘dead end’ systems can end up with half a dozen or more.

CCP has slowed down (or some say, ground to a halt) on “cool new neat developments”. But there’s hope for the future.

Without excessively expanding space, for instance, it would be possible to have wormholes to “unstable space” rotating through the starmap. Instead of being one of EVE’s permanent systems, these could be a couple dozen completely new areas, with various space effects (like Abyssals), resources, and encounters. They could spawn in the morning and disappear at system shutdown.

So everyone would have a continuously changing daily allotment of “new space” to check out if they cared to. EVE could really use this sort of “continuously dynamic” content generation system (there are other examples as well). So far however CCP has been reluctant to add anything like that to the game. Abyssal encounters are about the closest they’ve come.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.