Alliance Tournament XVII - An Update!

Most carebears advocate for things that have put us in the position we’re in now - near total safety that results in stale and stagnant gameplay in almost every area of space. What good is empire building if it’s never really under any real threat? Is this game basically just Second Life?

I’m not saying that it needs to be a bloodbath, but the elements that made the game difficult through player interaction are missing now. The game isn’t the way it is because CCP has ignored “carebears”. It’s because for the longest time CCP has catered to the lowest common denominator in favor for gameplay so safe and simple that it takes any real sense of danger, accomplishment, and feeling away.

I could care less about the Alliance Tournament, but what I do care about is that it’s just another thing that CCP is doing wrong, while using the excuse of trying to balance the game and bring us QOL changes. People don’t give a ■■■■ about QOL if the game doesn’t change direction.

A real QOL change at this point would be when we click to launch a client, a popup comes up reminding us how CCP doesn’t deserve our money still.

3 Likes

Eve and goodwill, Eve have most toxic community in game world and you talking about goodwill :rofl:

After more then a day and more then 200 replies from the players I was hoping CCP would put the minds of the player base at ease by giving us some concrete things they are working on.
Oh god, why am I so naive.

How about working on the real issues? Incentive for null sec wars? SOV warfare and the spread of citadels make fighting over space absolute cancer. Cap proliferation and multiboxing rorquals…
For those issues I wouldn’t mind dropping the AT but for QoL…

Also you seem to suggest if you want to play in a tournament you have to come to one of the world tour events?

:thinking:
yes this post was very transparent, loads of concrete information, detailed explanations behind the decisions made. HOORAY for transparency!!!

https://updates.eveonline.com/

that’s transparent enough for me

very disappointing, i never participated in the AT, but liked to watch the matches.

That moment you start seeing AT winner’s start selling char’s 137m Subcap Pilot + Nag/Revel, Alliance Tournament Winner

?
Isnt the tournament about showing the best of the best?
And see them fight, coming up with amazing new theory`s and execute them to perfection?

these people get to the top because they are.

Very entertaining to watch. Throwing it out this year is very depressing news, and does NOT feel like a healthy decision for the game.

Would have loved to see a mixup on rules at least, like battleship hulls only, or only frigates. Anything but this!

What a slap in the face. I started playing Eve because of the AT. You guys are really out of touch with your customers. I can’t think of an event with a bigger bang for the buck. Unsubbing one account.

CCP are really losing there way at the moment, just can’t work it out…

Eve-Online could be a great game but seems have lost its way…

Only 30,000 people playing it… I remember when it used to be 45,000!!

On that, we disagree.

2 Likes

lol -wow
The guy who shot up his computer with a gun wins imo. :smiley:

While I was never in the AT, I always looked forward to watching and supporting the people I know in it. This is a huge blow to the community if you ask me.

1 Like

I said people who cared about the game and made suggestions were called carebears. Did I say they were carebears?
Step back and take a good look at what you just did and how your mind just worked. You were part of the problem. But you did win the argument back then, as others like you.

Enjoy your spoils.

There’s a difference between good suggestions and suggestions that come from a point of view of wanting things such as: safety, easier gameplay, and less of an mmo experience.

I’m all for revamping pve, trying to make it fun and engaging rather than grindy and dull… I’m all for giving pve-minded players neat things… my arguments here are against those that want to destroy the essence of Eve Online.

2 Likes

Coming i guess from some intense process of projection, the whining about eve becoming to safe and all the related nonsense, comes mainly from risk adverse players with a game style characterized by a high degree of repeatability and a very low chance of unexpected events.

This narrative is especially prevalent at gankers/griefers and other types of players who have as main incentive in gaming to cause negative emotional responses on “carebears”…

The result is a very toxic environment and community plagued by bitter individuals focused on degrading the game experience of people who they perceive as weak, worthless, etc.

On short, that is the kind of mentality you can find at any bully, and sadly some contemporary national cultures produce this type of individuals en masse.

The culture of violence may look as a good way to go for a “pvp” game, but failing completely to cultivate positive social interactions in game, and instead favor just antisocial behavior leads inevitably in a virtual environment to the same destructive effects like in real social environments.

Like Herzog said, you can now to just enjoy your spoils.

That may be true for a portion of the community, but no where near all the pvper’s.

Some guy’s want to roam up to a large super block with 10 guy’s and fight their standing fleet’s of 10-30 guy’s, but what end’s up happening is that 30 guy’s sit tethered ■■■■ talking in local for 20 minute’s and then drop’s cap’s on the small gang or has 50-80 guy’s waiting on the out gate in the next system while the 30 guys are still tethered ■■■■ talking in local.

The day’s when they would either stay docked in a station or undock all 30 at once to fight was much more healthy for the game, the very fact that people can sit and see what your doing outside mean’s that their curiosity is not being tickled they don’t feel as if they have to undock and see what’s happening, if one guy that is curios get’s tackled the rest have to undock and save him leading to pvp. But because of current mechanic’s this doesn’t happen and all that happen’s is the defending side has such overwelming defensive advantage that they just blob the crap out of any invader’s taking any fun out of that engagement and turning it into a blood bath, which again lead’s to less roam’s less pvp, it’s just not a healthy environment around citadel’s for small gang’s, it only cater’s to massive fleet’s.

Never-mind the fact that Citadel’s have tackle neut’s gun’s and could kill off people in perfect safety.

The most effective small change CCP can make is removing tether from all citadel’s except for the biggest of the bunch, which is mean’t for large scale engagement maybe even removing scram/disruptor from the smaller citadel’s as well.

If you open your eyes you will see players from all areas of space that are involved with all sorts of activities saying exactly what I say.

What gives you the impression that I want to be left alone with an endless supply of victims? Do you value meaningful interactions? I’m sure you value the positive, but do you consider the negative just as important as the positive? The position that the game is in isn’t because of any player or any type of gameplay, but at CCPs ability to ignore the playerbase only to assure us that good things are coming.

If you want a farming and grinding simulator, Diablo 3 or Path of Exiles might work out for you… but if you want a game that is supposed to be alive with all sorts of player interaction then that is what Eve should be.

1 Like

This right here was one of the biggest headaches not only for the 2018, but the 2017 tournament as well. Trying to guess when and even how many the actual weekends are going be means you have no way to plan as a team and figure out who will actually be available.

As for turning the AT into a full blown e-sport, I personally don’t think that’s the way to go. We are not nearly big enough of a game to attract sponsors and we all remember what happened that one and only time CCP tried to do out-of-game rewards.

Instead I think getting more community events going and involving AT play in the beginner experience is a great idea. People are going to cry “but instanced pvp in muh sandbox!”, but they forget that all of this still has very real effects on TQ. AT season will always put some very real pressure on the markets and I can tell you some stories about the hilarious shenanigans you can get up to if you have enough dedication and wallet to back it up.

That said, a first step towards this would probably be to give the community all-year access to something like Thunderdome as an event server. Yes, this would mean dedicating dev resources to keeping the server up and managing the access list, but if they are serious about wanting more “grassroots” events then we are going to need the technical support to run them.

Thunderdome is also the single most important factor behind the quality of the tournament itself. Providing teams with a secure location to test have raised the floor and made for a much more competitive AT, something I’m sure CCP Raivi can give you further stories about…

1 Like

The test server would be perfect for thunderdome! man that would be epic.

I started typing a long post, and then I realized “what is the point”.

I do not know what your reasons for this decision were CCP (I am almost certain they were not anything to do with what was best for the paying customers), but for me it was the worst decision you have made since the earliest character on my earliest account first signed in.

Between last year’s layoffs and this, it seems the company putting this game out has given up on the game.

1 Like