Alpha Clone expansion

@Rail_J_kar before alpha/omega clones, EVE had a 2 week trial which was very limited, and after that you HAD to sub otherwise you couldnt play.

Alpha clones are nothing more than the trial version extended with some added benefits. So you absolutely CANNOT call omega “pay 2 win”.

2 Likes

@Geo_Eclipse_Oksaras I’m aware, I’ve been playing off and on since 2009.

The problem is with how EVE is currently marketed. It’s in Steam’s f2p section. Which means people who come into the game will have a lot of preconceptions coming into the game.

If you market the game as f2p, and then the players see the current monetization in game… Yeah, the term “pay to win” is going to go through their mind, and they wont even give the game a fair shake.

Thats steams ■■■■■■■ problem, not ccps. Sure they say you can play for free and you can, but it would behoove people to do their history of what eve is and where it came from to what it is. Omega is not play to ■■■■■■■ win. Spin it however you like.

2009 player you should know ■■■■■■■ better. Htfu

2 Likes

Settle down Geo. There’s no need for that sort of heat.

Believe it or not, for my personal game play, I don’t actually care either way. It likely wouldn’t affect me at all. But I do think it would be good for the game as a whole, which is why I suggested it.

And as for it being steam’s issue, I’m sure CCP could work something out with them, like say, removing it from the f2p section. It comes down to how they want to market it, and I’ve seen them play up that f2p aspect myself.

As for the history of EVE, it’s a much different game than it was in it’s inception. It’s constantly changing, so what it was in the beginning is mostly irrelevant to what it is now. And that will continue to be the case as we move forward.

Alphas dont need any more than theyve been given. Many players who max out all an alpha can do and attribute “player skill” over skillpoints are competant as an omega pilot. Ive seen many instances of vets using alphas to beat omegas due to player skill competence

1 Like

So? Your point is entirely irreverent to the purpose of the suggestion. As I said before, it’s about optics.

Players who see F2P… and then the paywall wont even give the game a fair try. Sure, EVE is going to have that issue regardless because it’s doubtful they’ll ever get rid of the sub, but it could be done in a way where a portion of the game is fully F2P without any hamstringing.

Honestly, I’m not even sure why you’re crying so hard. You guys keep saying players can be effective without the suggestion, but you’re really arguing hard against it like it would be the end of the world if alphas got access to level 5 ship, weapon, and support skills. Its some really weird cognitive dissonance.

And there are plenty of ppl who started as alpha and are now competing as omegas

Sure. That should ultimately be what the design around alpha drives people toward. Get them to stick around long enough to enjoy the game so they want more.

Question, how do I ask an ISD to close this thread? I have pretty much called off this idea.

1. Flag your initial post asking for it to be closed,
  2. @ an isd member @ISD_Traindriver for example
  3. Do not use @isd it doesnt notify an actual isd member

Closed as Op wanted us for.