AMA - CCP Acquisiton by Pearl Abyss! Starts at 16:30 UTC!

Oh god… I hope they don’t turn my Chimera into a flying billboard for their other ■■■■■■■■■■■ games…

1 Like

Since CCP was owned by different financial companies before, is it fair to say that CCP was never really independent? thefore this doesn’t really change much and now you just gonna be reporting to a different Boss.

Also What do you have to say to the people who remember your merger with White Wolf Publishing and how terrible that ended up for them? Do you think its fair that eve players are wary that the same thing could happen to CCP? And if so what would you say to those players to calm their fears that the bigger company could do to CCP what CCP did to White Wolf?

1 Like

The purchase of CCP is an official act of business and the forums are where officila discussions of official business SHOULD be discussed rather than that ragged rat hole known as r/Eve. At least here one has to have some sort of an active account to chime in, not some reject that hasn’t played Eve in 5 year.

7 Likes

I’m surprised they paid $400 million. You have a single IP, and it’s an aging niche market MMO.

2 Likes

does this mean waves of new korean players to shoot at ??

2 Likes

This is what is fishy to me, and even moreso, how we are being told “nothing is changing” – No business spends $425 mill on an acquisition of something that is “dying” without plans to get some revenue out of it somehow.

Ok …I’ll Bite…

First, off… I’m not sure whether to congratulate you or commiserate … this “deal” makes me nervous.

For many of us, EVE isn’t just a game, it’s a passion - a way of life. No other game comes close to that.
I know CCP acknowledges the EVE community (we are a great bunch of folk!)

I worry that PA will lead us down the path of Summer 2011 when the clothing store debacle split the community.

For Me, Its about the SPACE content, the ability to interact with fellow pilots in so many ways is awesome. Its the community in SPACE …not in the Clothes Store.

I get that some folk want the walking in stations bit and perhaps do more with their character …but i’m pretty sure we don’t log in to see if there’s a Guristas thong available.

Perhaps to appease those that do, and as an idea to give PA their micro-transactions then why not introduce clothes that give a limited time boost of some kind?
So for example, you could purchase a pair of Gallente (FTW) Sunglasses that give 15 minutes of reduced scanning time. etc etc…

Given that PA are going to want a return on their investment, can you assure us that CCP will continue to develop EVE and improve content whilst maintaining the traditional values of the game concept?

Your beloved community is wary…

EVE isn’t “dying”, people keep spreading that ■■■■ about but it never amounts to much.
Though you’re dead right on the rest of it. And a company like PA that is used to milking it’s products for quick revenue isn’t likely to change it’s tactics just because we’re onto them.

Edit: Seriously though, with no written contract stating they won’t ■■■■ over EVE, it’s a guarantee they will. So unless @CCP_Falcon or @CCP_Guard can say they’re aware of such a contract, the “they said they’d leave us alone” thing amounts to nothing, as it’s literally happened before.

3 Likes

Well, actually it’s a much more complex stuff that it appears to be and is supported by local and international laws. You just can’t dismiss a profitable company, a tax payer, because it’s your morning idea.

The PA has one 100% freedom as a share holder - PA can sell CCP to another investor/owner anytime as previous investors did.

They can do just about anything they want with CCP and anything that came with this sale.

Really the only limitation is employment contracts with CCP staff, or existing contracts CCP has with distributors etc which must be honored pending penalties.

Which they can easily work around by having CCP staff teach PA’s Korean staff all about EVE’s backend, and then PA’s Korean staff can do PA’s bidding. So no having to worry about pesky EU laws with regards to staff. And nothing holding them back from doing whatever.

2 Likes

Guess that it got lost… Asking again:

How will this buyout impact the creation of a new development plan for EVE by the newly appointed Executive Producer? Will we get some information on future development plans for EVE during EVE Vegas?

I can answer that for you.

1. At this point it is business as usual. EVE/CCP will progress as per the norm. Including with any development planned with the new EP.

2. Yes. They always have more info to share at EVE Vegas, and I’m pretty sure one of em said they already had some info ready for the event.

2 Likes

@CCP_Guard @CCP_Falcon

Several questions (apologies if you’ve had to answer them a couple dozen times today)

1. Why use the forums for this AMA as opposed to reddit where most previous AMA’s were held (up to 2-3 weeks ago if my memory is correct)

2. Was the negative feedback and stigma of the online community to Pearl Abyss as a developer/ studio taken into account when this deal was hammered out (understandable if you cannot comment due to it being internal stuff)

3. Pearl Abyss has a bad reputation among their community for how they do monitization as such were there any agreements in that regard that can be disclosed? i.e. everything is available for plex and plex can be bought with ingame currency

4. can you disclose what if any aspects of EVE that Pearl Abyss has control over and if they can and cannot make CCP as a developer do

5. finally given pearl abyss’ poor rep. re: listening to their community and that being mentioned as one of the things they hope to improve as a byproduct of this acquisition is it safe to assume that we wont have some of the shenanigans pearl abyss has been accused of happening in our community (Shadowy ToS modifications, Removal/ Deletions of Statements/ Assurances given to the community, etc.)

Read the article:

GamesBeat: How will the two companies work together?

Jung: AS OF RIGHT NOW, CCP Games will operate independently as a development studio. We plan to communicate over time how both companies will be managed as we find efficiencies and determine what works best for everyone. In the long run, we are considering the joint development of new games.

OK people go home, nothing to see here, damage control is over …

1 Like

Ive read it.
That is all just happy honeymoon talk and hype with no legal binding.
It can change any moment PA wants.

2 Likes

How much $$$ to get the jukebox back?

“As of right now” - Was what he said when he answered the question. Said answer and question are now in the past, so Jung can change his mind right now and he wouldn’t be feeding us BS. Because he kept to his word at the time.

Plus, “As of right now” infers that the stance can, and possibly will, change.

As of right now I’ll stay as a subscriber, for example. Doesn’t mean I will be in the future though.

It’s all in the words used. He’s left himself loopholes in every interview, allowing himself to change his mind as he sees fit. It’s smart. But it can easily be costly for everyone else.

3 Likes

Panta rhei.

2 Likes