Amarr Cruiser for L2

Oï !

I am currently skilling up an Amarr missioning alt, and I am currently searching for a ship to do L2. I tried in a Coercer, and… Didn’t went too well. Destroyers are apparently good enough to tackle L2, but since I’m very bad when it come to those hulls (and generally, I hate the gank over tank style), I’ve decided to take a look at the cruisers.

Currently, I can only fly T1 ships and faction cruisers are a bit too expansive, even more when I don’t plan to stay on L2, since I’ll use an Harbinger for L3 once I get there. I would like to know : does anyone can give me a good fit for the Omen cruiser, please ? I’m not really interested in the Arbitrator, or any drone boat in general.

Thanks in advance !

Not got fits immediately to hand. In general, the Omen is fitted for speed and range, the Maller is a brawler. The Omen is more common - look at Focused Beam fits rather than heavy turrets; the tracking is better. There’s nothing in an L2 mission that should cause you any problems in either hull.

Omen: You’ll want at least a couple of heat sinks, an active armour tank with good resists, and maybe an 800mm plate to give you some buffer. A 50MN MWD for range control (Restrained rather than Compact), be wary of too many armour rigs - they’ll slow you down. A webifier is useful. Cap improving modules (Cap Recharger) and rigs are useful - it’ll drink capacitor like cheap beer.

Imperial Navy ammunition is worth the investment. It’s about a 20% increase in damage.

I’ve not flown Mallers very often, and never on missions. I came up through flying Arbitrators…

1 Like

Thank you for the answer :slight_smile:

I came up with this fit, what do you think about it ?

[Omen, *Omen]
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I
Small ‘Accommodation’ Vestment Reconstructer I
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
800mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Acolyte I x5

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x5
Imperial Navy Gamma M x5
Imperial Navy Standard M x5
Imperial Navy Radio M x5

It’s got it’s good points.
I’d suggest the following changes:

It does need a medium repairer. The small will struggle to handle the incoming damage on some of the level 2 missions. The downside is it needs more CPU and Grid.
Use Meta focused turrets. If you go onto the “variations” tab on info then one of the comparable attributes is Meta. T1 weapons are up to Meta 4, that’s where you should be looking. They have the same skill requirements, but are significantly better.

A semiconductor memory cell rig is quite a good option - it increases the capacitor size.

The Afterburner is fine. Microwarp Drives are hard to fit.

Don’t fret about cap stability. You shouldn’t need to run everything all of the time. Capacitor management is just something you’ll need to learn.

Train up the boring fitting skills. Adding fifteen or twenty percent to a hull’s CPU, Grid and Capacitor is a significant gain in performance.

1 Like

Followed your instructions, the fit is a bit better.
With everything running, I have ~2:53 minutes of capacitor, 12k eHP and a repair rate of 32.5hp/s.
If I load the Imperial Navy Multifrequency, I’m around 276 DPS, pretty decent. And even with my bad fitting skills, everything fit !

Now, I just need to wait two days, and I’ll have the skills for everything.

1 Like

That’s pretty reasonable. The repair rate is before resistance is counted in, the cap.life is more than adequate - just keep an eye on it. For a new player T1 fit that’s reasonable DPS. Killing things quickly does ease the incoming damage significantly.

Good luck and happy hunting. If you are around Amarr then drop me a mail in game.

1 Like

Thanks mate ! I’ll contact you ingame :slight_smile:

In addition to multi-frequency crystals, use the standard ones too, they have a bonus to capacitor usage of 45%.

When you use beams, dps is not super important anyways.

Coercer is ok for L2 but u need a small cap battery with +50 cap.boosters for working stable fit.
Omen navy will work better than a t1 version for L2, coz it have more powergrid and a 5 med.drones, with good skils u can easy do L3 also. So pick up that ship and go for L2, after few weeks u can switch to L3 without changing a ship.

Yeah nah. No Navy Issue for me.

Beam omen is a nice option to warp in and blap everything, beams have nice damage and range, it’s what I’d fly. Looks like you have drones 5, so an arbitrator is another option, but I’m not a huge fan of drone boats for missions.

I’d drop the 800 mm plate, it’s just going to slow you down. That should free up plenty of room to upgrade the small rep to a medium. And with the extra low slot I’d probably put an adaptive nano plating which gives some resist to everything and uses 1 pg 0 cpu, the meta 4 one is super cheap and has better stats than meta energized adaptive which use a bunch of CPU.

Also that’s a lot of cap recharge mods, if you can drop a cap recharger for a large cap battery you might be able to drop one or two and add a tracking comp or a locus rig that will give you a bunch of extra range to play with. Tech 2 locus rigs are cheap and give a 20% optimal range bonus, very nice if you can fit them.

Or consider swapping all the cap recharge for a cap booster, a medium cap booster is easy to fit and you can bring a bunch of 800s that will give you ~50% of your cap back. Omen has a pretty big cargo bay and laser crystals barely take up any room

This is the fit I have in EFT, I think it’s a pre ship teiricide fit which should explain all the extra fitting room. Depending on your fitting skills you could swap the PG rig for another Locus rig.
[Omen, omen]
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
‘Refuge’ Adaptive Nano Plating I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Medium ‘Accommodation’ Vestment Reconstructer I

Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M

Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hobgoblin I x3
Hobgoblin I x5
Cap Booster 800 x10

Thanks for you advices !
Following what @HugoRich said, and with the Large Cap Battery advised by @Chainsaw_Plankton, I’ve came up with this. I’ll use it to finish my run on L2, then on L3, to avoid buying a Battlecruiser.

[Omen Navy Issue, Improved ONI]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Tracking Computer II
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

Medium Semiconductor Memory Cell I

Hobgoblin II x5

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x4
Optimal Range Script

Damage is at 288 DPS (PYFA give me 440 with All V character), repair is 36.1hp/s, speed is 665m/s and the whole thing is cap stable with everything running.

Any thoughts, please ?

Looks decent over all, I juggled a few slots around, not sure how that will work with your skills though. I’d think you could at least swap the SMC for a locus rig, the SMC is pretty niche and in general I don’t use them. Typically a ccc will create more cap pared with a battery than an SMC. The only ship I’ve used them on is the nightmare as it gives +5000 cap or so gives enough cap you can do most missions on the buffer cap before hitting recharge.

Cap stability is important as you learn as it can bail you out of mistakes, but I think once you start feeling comfortable you can drop some cap recharge. you don’t shoot 100% of the time, you don’t need to use your AB/Rep 100% of the time either. For most setups anything over 10mins stable is effectively stable, one of my old paladin setups had ~5mins of cap but effectively never ran out.

[Omen Navy Issue, Improved ONI]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor EM Hardener II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Cap Recharger II

[Empty High slot]

Hobgoblin II x5

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x4

1 Like

and you should not use multifreq 100% of the time either. standard have the highest damage/GJ ratio.

not a very good idea. BC have more tank and more gank than cruisers.

But a bigger signature radius too :confused:

Speed tanking against the BS could be useful, while taking out smaller stuff with drones and lazors.

That was my last omny fit before switching to L4, as i remember adaptive membrane i get from some darkblood rat in hisec combat signature, so flying a day or two in hisec sansha and blood regions can be useful. If u cant get stable coz of reactive hardener and low skills then put a cap rech instead heat sink.

[Omen Navy Issue, **HugoRich Omen Navy Issue]
Dark Blood Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Reactive Armor Hardener
Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Optical Compact Tracking Computer

Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II
Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Hammerhead I x5

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x5
Imperial Navy Ultraviolet M x5
Optimal Range Script x1

Currently, I’m trying a modified fit of the Omen Navy Issue. Pretty good so far, managed to do L3 without any problems and the speed without the Armor Plates is incredibly great !

Still have some troubles against frigates, since I have to train Weapon Upgrades to IV for T2 damage mods (18h left), then I’ll be able to get my Drones skills up.

The Gnosis battle cruiser worked well for me running lvl 3 missions when I was low skilled. It’s very versatile and exceedingly cheap right now.

Alright, I’m currently looking at a battleship for L4. Currently, I cannot afford a Nightmare, and sincerely I prefer not too, since I don’t really like Shield fits, so I’m looking at the Apocalypse and the Abaddon. I really don’t want to use Armageddon, since I have a burning hate of drone boats.

Basically : I warp in the site, MJD out of enemy range and use it to blap everything that fly with low transversal to my guns, prioritising frigates. If I manage to do this, I can limit my tank for a maximum of gank. This is for the Apocalypse. Concerning Abaddon, it would more be a brawling fit to make us of the hull bonus to armor resistance.

This would be the Apocalypse fit :

[Apocalypse, Apocalypse fit]

Armor EM Hardener II
Large Armor Repairer II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Large Micro Jump Drive
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Cap Recharger II
Large Cap Battery II

Mega Modulated Energy Beam I, True Sanshas Xray L

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Energy Locus Coordinator II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

I also plan to use the MG Ascendancy set to boost the warping speed of Apocalypse, to spend less time in warp.

However, I don’t seems to find something that please me with Abaddon, so if you guys could help me, that’d be nice :slight_smile:
What I’m looking for would be a tanking beast, able to get close enough to deal good damage to the rats. Pulse would be prefered, but anything goes in.

Thanks in advance !

U need tracking script and another tracking comp with it also rigs for tracking and optimal if u cant fly without proc overcloking then learn skills. Anyway it is strongly recommended to get a ship with missiles for omni dmg coz a pack of guristas and angels bs will make u suffer.