Amarr Level 4 Mission running Apocalypse

I tried to run some Level 4 Missions with an Apocalypse and although i got an easy mission i have som trouble to get it done (i assume my fitting skills are not good enough) but there a a few other questions as well.

So i jump in with my apocalypse and i have 8 mega afocal pulse masers fitted with an optimal range of 44 km if i use my range script and factional navy crystals. But what is the right approach for enemy ships with a bc? should i orbit them at far range or should i just try to stay as far as possible without orbiting? My range seems far to low to do that right now (they seem to hit harder at range) but then again: a bc does not seem to be a fast orbiting vessel (at least an armor tanked apocalypse)

they cut through my armor way to fast so that i have to jump forth and back a few times (which says: your fitting skills suck right to my face)

but even if it was better: should i just let my armor do the job and shoot (in far range) or move or whatever?

i think i wait till i can use t2 weaponry but even then… i have to change my armor fittings… or something… to withstand the shooting.

attack of the drones… so as far as i know not a difficult one at all.

which lasers have such a long range? because the apoc relies on lasers more than on drones.

strange…i don’t find the right ones: for example the heaby beam laser 2 has an optimal range of 24 km while my affocal maser has an optimal range of 22 km… how do i get a range of 100 km? with the affocal i get 60 at most (so i assume i would get 70 with the beam laser) and that would be far out of optimal range… and i wouldn’t do any damage anymore or not?

i use radio navy L crystals and i can’t get that range. Maybe someone can help me with a fitting (and skills) to get a working apocalypse l4 mission runner.

Log on now, and send me your fitting via EvE-Mail. I will reply tonight (few hrs) with a working fix and some strategy tips.

1 Like

i send you a message and i appreciate your help. Don’t hurry: i am playing eve frequently and right now i will put my apocalypse into dock till i have a working fit and do other stuff.

This is a pretty basic T1 fit for an Apoc. I use something similar (though T2) to rat in null-sec.

[Apocalypse, T1 LVL4 Mission Runner]

Large 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I
Extruded Compact Heat Sink
Extruded Compact Heat Sink

Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Tracking Speed Script
Eutectic Compact Cap Recharger

Mega Modulated Pulse Energy Beam I, Multifrequency L

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Energy Collision Accelerator I

Depending on your skills, you can get this up well above 400 DPS, and should have enough tank to hold out most LVL4 missions. (Assuming you take out the heavy DPS first, and swap hardeners to match the damage for the missions.)

It’ll probably take a while to finish some LVL4s in this, but should work.

My advice would be to avoid beam lasers for missions/ratting. They work fine for the big stuff, but most rats are cruiser/frigate sized, and the beams have very low tracking and don’t do very well against them. They have more range and DPS, but it’s basically cancelled out by that factor.

Also, keep in mind, that the longer range ammo you use, the lower the DPS. It’s usually better (faster and less painful) to land 20k away from a spawn and proceed to nuke all the BS/BC right away, than land at 60k+ and spend an hour sniping the whole spawn.

1 Like

i’ve always preferred to cap-boost the big gunships ; you get the best performance as those slots and rigs dedicated to cap can be put to better use . always use npc-specific hardeners and pay attention to mission triggers . this would be my first try at a fit for https://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=AttackoftheDrones4

[Apocalypse, MR lvl 4]
Large Armor Repairer II
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
’Refuge’ Adaptive Nano Plating I
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

100MN Afterburner II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script

Mega Modulated Energy Beam I, Multifrequency L

Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

I do that for PvP, but I’ve never liked relying on that in PvE. Don’t really have a good reason for it, I suppose. Just prefer to minimize the expendables I use.

You need to choose between close range tanky brawler with active armor reps and webs and pulse lasers… get the job done fast… but requires higher skills in armor and guns to really survive…

or

snipe with dmg amplifiers, tracking and beam lasers where you can hit at ~75-90… then when they start doing real damage use a Micro Jump Drive to jump out 100km and let them approach again… rinse and repeat… this is the better approach for a still-skilling pilot.

ok, and if i warp in at 20 km how do i orbit correctly? do i use a wreck and orbit it at close distance or do i use an enemy ship?

the approach with a micro warp drive sounds also interesting. I’ll try your settings and i will see which works best for me.

if you want to orbit youre better off manually piloting and circling the entire field
pull range when you need to and just go around them with an ab
moving sideways to your target while shooting is going to negatively affect your tracking though
switching off your ab will help get better tracking and moving directly away from your target will make you both easier to hit

Sent you a fit by mail.

I eventually came to the realization that if you can’t use T2 tank, t2 guns, engineering skills at V, and have the hull trained to anything less than V, you shouldn’t get in the ship at all. Not even a tech I battleship for PVE. Recommend you set this ship up in your skill queue to finish training out over the next couple of months while you do something else.

ah yes, just train skills for a year and then start playing, brilliant :roll_eyes:

the apoc works fine with lv4 skills. it’s a little slow, but it can grind through pretty much all lv4s no problems. Just swap to meta if you can’t use t2. Also this fit should also work with megabeams if you are using meta guns. The faction hardeners are there to save on CPU, they should be somewhat cheap check the stats and prices on other faction hardeners as they might be the same stats but cheaper on market.

If things get boring can drop a hardener for an extra heat sink, don’t really need a 4 hardener tank. Or if you want to play it safe you can put a MJD on and snipe. looks like with the 2 tracking comps and lv4 skills it will hit at 100km with standard. Or you can throw on even more cap mods and run a 2 rep setup, might be useful to get a feel for the missions, and once you have done them try them with only one rep to see how it goes.

[Apocalypse, Mega pulse missions]

True Sansha Armor EM Hardener
True Sansha Armor EM Hardener
True Sansha Armor Thermal Hardener
True Sansha Armor Thermal Hardener
Large Armor Repairer II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Tracking Computer II
Tracking Computer II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II

Mega Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency L

Since you are low on SPs, use beam lasers. Usually you will drop into a blob of NPC.

1. click in space in the direction you want to go
  2. hit MJD
  3. while waiting for MJD action, drop Mobile Tractor Unit and make a bookmark ‘loot’, ‘loot2’, ‘loot3’, etc.
  4. boom, you are 100km away. Start shooting frigates first, destroyers second, cruisers third.
  5. move in on BCs with drones and multifrequency crystals, and a Nos for keeping your cap up while you repair damage.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.