L4 sec Apoc Tank Question

Can I effectively tank level 4 security missions in this Apoc or should I drop a heat sink and the DC2 to double up on the relevant energized membranes? Thanks in advance for any advice! Haven’t played since 2014 so I forgot half of what I barely knew to begin with and new lots of things might be different, haha :stuck_out_tongue:

[Apocalypse]
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Energized Kinetic Membrane II
Energized Thermal Membrane II
Corpus X-Type Large Armor Repairer

Large Cap Battery II
Large Cap Battery II
F-12 Enduring Tracking Computer
100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Acolyte II x2
Hornet II x3
Hobgoblin II x1

Scorch L x8
Tracking Speed Script x1

Okay, first off, the best way to maximize your tank is to throw the fit into Pyfa, and play with tanking modules till you get the best EHP and EHP/s repair rate that you can.

Second, the best tank will be dependent on the rats you are fighting, but I’ll provide a take that performs well against omni damage. You can then swap out 1 or 2 hardners for rat specific hardners as needed.

Third, I am not up to date on the minimal viable tank for level 4’s. I still have my old fits, but they were pre-surgical strike (and I had more DPS, so I cleared things faster). I’m pretty sure you’d be good with anything over 250 EHP/s (possibly even 200 EHP/s), but you might want to verify that from current mission runners.

Anyway, I think you’d be good with the following fit. It gets ~270 EHP/s, is only 440mil, and isn’t as attractive to gankers as a fit with a Corpus X-Type Large Armor rep would be. If you want to keep the blingier armor rep, you’ll get ~340 EHP/s (for reference, your linked fit gets about 280 EHP/s). You can also roll with a T2 Auxiliary Nano Pump by downgrading one of the capacitor rigs to T1, but the T2 nano pump rig is 116mil, and will only improve your rep by about 4%. Of course, rigs don’t drop as loot, so they won’t increase your attractiveness to gankers the same way blingy mods do. Oh, and you could also switch one of the armor resist coatings to an energized armor resistance membrane if you use one of the cheaper CPU implants.

Hope that helps.

Summary

[Apocalypse, Herlo Sunji]

Multispectrum Energized Membrane II
Multispectrum Coating II
Centii C-Type Explosive Coating
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Centus C-Type Large Armor Repairer

Large Cap Battery II
Large Cap Battery II
F-12 Enduring Tracking Computer
100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Mega Pulse Laser II, Scorch L

Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Acolyte II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Hornet II x3

Zainou ‘Gypsy’ CPU Management EE-603

Scorch L x8
Tracking Speed Script x1

looks pretty much fine, probably swap the damage control for a reactive armor hardener as that will adapt to the mission you face. Also might be worth using a micro jump drive just till you get used to doing the missions as you can jump 100km to safety.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to be said for the fitting the OP posted: though I was put off Mega Pulse lasers when as a naïve new player I ran Level 4 missions in a Pulse fitted afterburner Abaddon.

I tend to avoid faction modules on mission ships - mainly because I’m a cheapskate and don’t like potentially being a target for ganking. I’m getting less nervous, but…

I mission run now in a Mega Beam fitted Apocalypse. The range/tracking bonus gives you good hits out to target locking range. Add in a Large Micro Jump Drive and you can always jump away to reduce incoming damage and allow the capacitor to recover as you plink away at the small stuff as it runs directly towards you.

For tank: yep, three Heat Sinks in the low slots work (killing the thing hurting you stops damage very efficiently). A Large T2 repairer and resistance modules to meet the mission profile.
Mid-slots. I like batteries, but check with a fitting tool/simulator that it is giving you a better recharge rate than a Cap Recharger II would. It’s recharge rate you want, not absolute capacitor size. You don’t need to be completely cap stable even as a mission runner. I quite often switch to Standard crystals just to ease capacitor demand in some cases.

I’ve just started using a Beam Navy Apocalypse for missions. That’s a nice ship to use. Additional damage bonus, additional low slot, general upgrade in stats.
A Tachyon fitted Nightmare is also a good option, but needs shield skills as well as a second Space Ship Command skill. I suspect a Pulse Nightmare is a thing.

1 Like

The Apocalypse is a ship whose tank is its range. You can fit an OK armour tank to it but you should aim to optimise its range in both DPS and tank. The fit below is around 250m and you can adapt from there. You get some pretty gnarly range on it with the dual tracking computers and you can keep decent range with it if you have any nav skills at all.

[Apocalypse, Apocalypse -Mission fit]

Large Armor Repairer II
EM Armor Hardener II
Thermal Armor Hardener II
Multispectrum Coating II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

100MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script

Mega Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency L

Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

For around the value of your current fit though you can get a superior tank, more staying power, and a faster ship with the navy apocalypse.

[Apocalypse Navy Issue, Napoc -Mission fit]

Imperial Navy Large Armor Repairer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Thermal Armor Hardener II
EM Armor Hardener II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Capacitor Power Relay II

100MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II

Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Again, add value to the modules on these fits as you see fit. Personally I would suggest focusing on DPS with imp navy heat sinks before you start throwing an expensive tank on. With better tanking modules you wont need as many, so can maximise DPS which is what gets the mission done.

The key is getting a good mix of dps and tank.

Try to avoid stacking module effects beyond 3 deep. Exception to this is modules that provide set amount bonuses like armour plated, CAP batteries, etc…, and DC or Reactive Armor Hardener (special rules apply to DC and RAH).

Remember the third or more module is reduced in its % gain, and you’ve sacrificed a full effect module.

Remember Apocalypse is a CAP hungry ship with its turrets, so try to reduce CAP use where ever you can, use passive modules as much as you can.

Your fit is fine, I’d swap DCII for Reactive hardener. Also, I’d look into Navy Apocalypse, it’s bit more relaxed in terms of fitting and probably let you avoid CPU rig.

1 Like

pro tip: switch the target comp to a painter as the tc won’t help you hit anything you already couldn’t but the painter will increase the size of the target to compensate for your laser spread. I fly my abby with one as well: Fit: Abaddon, Solo Mission Runner by Jonny Thunders | EVE Workbench

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.