"Ambushing Explorer": a feasible activity?

the fit:

[Magnate, "Rogue Archaelogist"]
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
200mm Steel Plates II

Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
200mm AutoCannon II

Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Ancillary Current Router I

Hobgoblin II x8

Republic Fleet Fusion S x120
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket x100

this is a little of a sideproject for the future, thing is intended to be flown in Lowsec or WHs (not sure if Null too). scan the sites first, then swap probe launcher to gun and try to ambush people disguised as a typical explorer.

im pretty sure a fit like this can take on other exploration frigates (and perhaps some combat frigates) but i wonder, would this thing be able to take on an Astero or Bomber?

1 Like

Not in that ship. People see you coming from miles away. Although they may underestimate you because you look like a daft T1 explorer. I guess that could work a couple of times.

A rocket bomber with lots of scrams and sig amps is also quite nice to catch certain Asteros in null sec and w-space by camping relic sites.

1 Like

its not about active hunting, its about behaving like a regular explorer and wait until the target gets in range thinking you’re paper thin.

1 Like

I can’t speak for others, but as an explorer, I never decloak at a site if there is another ship there for this exact reason. Also, first come, first serve (im polite)
:wink:

3 Likes

I doubt a Magnate will be able to kill an Astero. But vs an untanked stealth bomber, I think you’d have a good chance.

I personally believe the Heron is a better choice if you’re trying to fly a T1 combat explorer. I’ve killed a few Asteros in a “blingy” fit that costs around 40m-45m. The Heron is great since it has 5 mid slots, allowing you to actually hack and roleplay as an explorer, while being combat-fitted.

This is the fit I used. The key to killing Asteros is that 90% of them use Hobgoblins for dps, which is thermal. So if you can focus your tank on thermal damage only, you can withstand their dps for awhile. Combat Asteros also use active tanking (armor rep), so a neut will eventually destroy their tank:

My victims:

2 Likes

Try in a venture, it’s really fun and you have the warp core strenght bonus if things go south.

Mate, try it first, ask questions later. People will always be tryin’ to push ya into a certain direction, killin’ off all creativity. It doesn’t ■■■■■■■ matter if ya fail, tryin’ ■■■■ is what’s makin’ things fun. if ya keep losin’ and runnin’ outta money, send me a few of ya lossmails and i’ll help ya out. I’ll be happy rewardin’ ya for tryin’.

3 Likes

I have know people who have done it, stay cloaked in the site and wait until they are a couple seconds into hacking, target, scram and destroy.
Typically they used stealth bombers or an astero

I’ve done it before in an Imicus. I didn’t wait in the site. I already had the imicus built and ready and I saw that a nemesis was killing explorers in the area, so I hopped in, went to a site and acted like I was hacking.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/47741999/

2 Likes

I know a corp who actually specializes on such kind of things - they use special heron fit:
https://zkillboard.com/kill/72045951/

Yes, totally feasible,

Fun and profitable too,

I’ve got 595 kills in my hunter Astero, mostly low-sec.

When hunting other asteros/magnates they fit up to 4 WCS
So you need to fit 5x points :wink:

[Astero, …]
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
Coreli B-Type Small Armor Repairer
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control II

Coreli C-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy Warp Scrambler
Warp Scrambler II
Small Capacitor Booster II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Sisters Core Probe Launcher

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I

Warrior II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x16
Nanite Repair Paste x75
Navy Cap Booster 200 x14

Good times.

I agree this is feasible, as I’ve been on both sides.
As the hunter, I use a stealth bomber and take it from me, they’re paper thin.
I’d also suggest using the heron.
Fit would be something along the lines of:

High:
Blaster or rocket launcher
Probe launcher

Med:
AB
Scram
Shield tank of some sort
Analyzer/hack module

Low:
DC or DDA
DDA

3 x drones of tiny doom

I don’t know about asteros, but taking on stealth bombers in that is absolutely doable.
They will usually have in the region of 90 dps unheated and tank consisting of a damage control.

listen to this guy, he knows what hes on about; and i know others that use heron also, and they kill sabres, interceptors etc; probably one of the few explorer ships i actually check the characters age on tbvh.

Sydney Andrews

Aug 22

I can’t speak for others, but as an explorer, I never decloak at a site if there is another ship there for this exact reason. Also, first come, first serve (im polite)

This :slight_smile:

I like your idea!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.