An update for Corvettes

I use them as I would a rental, I pick one up, fly to my destination and do what I need to; buy ships, modules etc. Leave it there, get in my new toy and fly back whence I came.

I’ve got about 70 of the damn things scattered all over the place; my pirate rookie ships on the other hand, they’re fun.

What are you basing that on?

At least CCP could give Reaper and Ibis three mids and one low. Put an AB and shield booster on a Reaper/Ibis and you have no slots left for the civilian relic/data analyzer, civilian webifier, or civilian warp scrambler to run the Career Agent missions with.

And what’s up with Velator coming equipped with rails, and civilian blasters requiring Hybrid Weapons I to use? Civilian blasters aren’t even OP anymore(actually now it’s rails that are op, if anything) so why was Gallente corvette given Caldari weapons?

The tutorial explains that you have to make decisions and balance things. Its intended to be like that

Well, if you’re flying a Velator or Impairor you don’t have to make these “decisions”, that’s the point. You can have AB, not one but two repairers, and still have a mid free for whatever the mission requires you to do.

Whats stopping you doing that with an Ibis?

No, with a Velator you’ve just got 15 minutes before you’re in a ship that can do anything you like

1 Like

Dreadnoughts are the progenitors of what we call battleships. They were post ironclad, pre ww1 inventions. Often referred to as pocket battleships once larger ships came along and the term battleship started getting widely used.
Dreadnoughts are the first generation and smallest “battleships” built and already obsolete before ww1 started. HMS dreadnought launched in 1906 but was dwarfed by something like the Tirpitz or yamato of ww2.
So if we’re following strict naming convention dreadnoughts should be subcapitals and battleships should be the current dreadnought class in eve.

But we aren’t.

For reference the hms Agamemnon (1906) was 440 some odd feet long and displaced 17000 tons and the HMS dreadnought also 1906 was 500 feet long and displaced 18000 tons.
The Bismark (late 30s early 40s) was over 800 feet long and displaced 50,000 tons. Basically twice as big as the 1906 dreadnoughts.

1 Like

No, but thanks for trying.

Not exactly, Dreadnoughts were a type of battleship, not a different ship. They stop using that name because of the rapid change of class and the bigger ships. For example, the Bismark and Yamato are two different battleship types by them selfs.

But the name in EvE I think fulfill the role it has, an All-Big Gun Ship.

I think the phrase is not correct. Cost is one part of the balance of ships in EvE. That’s why CCP increase the cost of the Pirate BS and did not modify the stats, yet. They also increase the cost when they rebalance all the T1 Ships.

The balance point of Cost is usage. If a ship is powerful and with a reasonable price, is going to be use a lot(Pirate BS). But if a ship is Free and has almost the same stats as other ships, is going to be use always. In this particular case, the cost is a Pilar for the balance of the ship. Yes, you can add some role which could be useful for beginners, but you need to check if giving that role will overshadow others cause is free.

For example, you could add a 10% bonus to Core Scanner Probe strength role and is going to be “ok”. But if instead of 10% is 25%, the ship is going to be overused for is design because is like using a Heron with Caldari lvl3, but without all the skill needed to fly it and for free. This is only an example, maybe a little more than 10% could be fine, but I think you could get the point.

1 Like

And ship of the lines and manowars were also types of battleships under the colloquial term.
But actual battleship battleships come after dreadnought

Agree completely. An expensive ship is nobody’s first choice, when they see that a T1 doctrine can do nearly the same only slightly worse, for 1/5th the cost.

That said, I’d like for it to be LESS of a balancing factor. There are a lot of shiny ships out there which are very fun to fly, which don’t generally become doctrine because they’re just too damned expensive. I’d love to see insurance fixed, but really, it can’t be fixed for T2/3.

Too many fallacies come up when you try to compare Eve Online ships with any RL counterpart.

Eve Online is a rock-paper-scissors game that greatly simplifies the nature of strengths and weaknesses in RL.

For one, the Dreadnoughts in Eve Online are little more than a mobile fortress due to the siege mechanic.

For another, what type of classification process are you using, British based upon role or American based upon displacement?

Eve Online generally uses both, EW Frigates, (EW) Recon Cruisers, and etc.

Its rather a mixed bag that is ok for it purposes, but Battleships to be honest are more like RL Cruisers, and so are HACs, Command Ships, and every other Sub Cap.

Unfortunately Titans and Supercarriers actually fill the role of the largest ship-of-the-line combatant in Eve Online.

Why in hell would you throw T2 fittings on a free rookie ship other than lolz?! Why not throw T2 fittings on a frigate instead and not have to redesign or re-balance a “starter ship”? You’re making a solution where there’s no problem present.
It’s hard to fit T2 modules on a rookie ship because they really don’t belong on rookie ships. Rookie ships were designed for players to move out of once they got on their feet, not to stay in.

And considering that is all most of us use them for, the only buff I could really get behind is one for warp speed.

Precisely for that. Last time I did Blood-Stained Stars I used a Velator for laughs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.